Which element is most important to success?

Which element is most important to success?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important when designing a drum corps show? What direction would you choose?

• Entertaining: the show should have mass appeal and reach the masses
    • Innovative: the show should be new, should be something that has never been done before
    • Winner: the show should be good enough to win first place, even if it lacks entertainment value

members do want to win... but the reality is that most of the time a member steps on the field, the outcome is already decided. If you go watch a show that has Surf, Spirit, Glassmen, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, and BD, you could have an awesome time watching entertaining shows. But if you are looking for competition, well, you aren't going to find any.

Agreed

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

winner winner chicken dinner. For example look at sports teams. You say the successful ones would be like the Red Wings, the Patriots/Colts, the LA Lakers, and the Yankees. What all have in common is that they win. People dont like the way they play but they are successful at their sport. I want to see perfection on the field. If its entertaining thats a plus. Normally the shows that are near perfection are entertaining.

I have to disagree with this. There is little correlation to winning the DCI title and being the crowd's favorite show for that year. As a matter of fact, we can count on one hand the last 35 years of DCI Titles where the winning Corps was also the Crowd's favorite that year. We need only look back this decade, including last year, to see that most years, the DCI Titlist was not the national audience favorite show in the year they won DCI.

When we look at DCP 's polls as well as DCI polls on the fans favorite shows of all time, some were titlists, some were not. Some of the legendary shows of all time, as selected by national fans, never even placed in the top 4 in the year the show was performed and competed.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd take 12 '87 Skyriders over a bazillion '09 BD any day of the week, and twice on Sundays...

judges want the winning formula...I want to be entertained.

If everyone has a good time then its a great show.
I want to be entertained.

There's the rub, I think. Everyone has different tastes. For every person sitting in their seat thinking "I hate that show", there are 100 people standing and cheering. Think of how it works for movies. There were people camping out at theaters before the premier of the new Twilight movie, but I will be perfectly happy if I never see it. No one will EVER have a show that is universally accepted as the "best" or "most entertaining".

Personally, I think it is great that there is so much variety in the programs today. There is something for everyone at most shows. The last show I attended included Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Troopers, Blue Knights, Vanguard and BD. Every show was unique and entertaining in its own way...can't say I was thrilled with all of them, but the overall show was very entertaining...worth every penny.

I have to disagree with this. There is little correlation to winning the DCI title and being the crowd's favorite show for that year. As a matter of fact, we can count on one hand the last 35 years of DCI Titles where the winning Corps was also the Crowd's favorite that year. We need only look back this decade, including last year, to see that most years, the DCI Titlist was not the national audience favorite show in the year they won DCI.

When we look at DCP 's polls as well as DCI polls on the fans favorite shows of all time, some were titlists, some were not. Some of the legendary shows of all time, as selected by national fans, never even placed in the top 4 in the year the show was performed and competed.

ummm Everyone hates the teams that I used as examples.

If I audition for a corps I want to go to one that will be competitive to win. I dont want to sit and watch others beat me all the time. I am a competitive person and in the end I want to win. You look at statistics and it shows that BD will be your best chance and that doesnt mean they have to be entertaining for me to want to go there. Now this wouldnt be a problem with me because I always find their shows entertaining :thumbup:

If I audition for a corps I want to go to one that will be competitive to win. I dont want to sit and watch others beat me all the time. I am a competitive person and in the end I want to win. You look at statistics and it shows that BD will be your best chance and that doesnt mean they have to be entertaining for me to want to go there. Now this wouldnt be a problem with me because I always find their shows entertaining :thumbup:

At the end of the year, only one Corps ( assuming no tie ) will be Champion. Given a choice between being in a Corps that was champion , or loved by most fans, I 'd probably go with the former.

However, if my Corps did not win it all, then I 'd rather finish lower and be considered having a greatly entertaining show, then finish higher but leave the fans feeling less than satisfied by contrast.

For example, In 1995, the Madison Scouts finished 4th. Their show that year is almost universally regarded as one of the most legendary shows of all time, by fans from coast to coast. Hardly anybody remembers or mentions the Corps with the shows that finished 3rd, and 2nd that year. So who had the more " successful " year in 1995? The Madison Scouts ? Or the Corps that finished in 3rd or 2nd ? It all depends upon how one chooses to define " success ". In my opinion and definition, I'd say it was the Madison Scouts right after the DCI 1995 titleist winner. The Madison Scouts had the more " successful " year, as that's the Corps and show that is still talked about and gets remembered so vividly and so well and by so many, not the other 2 Corps that placed higher than them that year.

Edited by BRASSO

If I'm marching a corps next year, I want to be in one that can connect with the Crowd. I tell you, there is nothing like finishing your performance and the crowd going wild for you! It's the greatest feeling. I'd rather get that kind of reaction than winning when most people wanted someone else to win. (BD and Crown 09)

No one will EVER have a show that is universally accepted as the "best" or "most entertaining".

True; but you can certainly see huge differences in crowd response between say the sixth place Scouts in 1999 (Superstar show) where most all of the audience exploded, and the first place 2005 Cadets (The Zone show) where a third liked it, a third gave the "have to" clap, and a third went what the ****. Scouts in 1999 went after the crowd reaction; Cadets in 2005 went after the innovation and win. Scouts usually have more souvie sales than Cadets; however, the crowd appeal did not help recruitment for the Scouts as much as the win did for the Cadets. So, which is better? That is what is being debated here.

Exactly. Clean Wins. Period.

Clean did NOT win in 2008. Period.

As for the OP's question, it's a mixture of all three (but not such a one-sided mixture that allows Phantom to win in 2008 :smile: ).