Open-Class ONLY shows?

Where did you get the information that the G7 wants to discontinue all OC shows? This is not argumentative, but inquisitive. Seems counter intuitive for SCV and BD as they have open class feeder corps ...

G7 PowerPoint Proposal by Hopkins and Gibbs:

Page 9 of the PowerPoint proposal: "AAA ( Tour of Champions) Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, TOP OF Tier 2 ( three years in top 8 equals permanent status)"

Page 10 of the PowerPoint presentation: "AA ( National Touring) Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Troopers, Colts, Academy, Madison, Crossmen, Spirit, Pioneer?"

Page 11 of the PowerPoint presentation (here are SCV Cadets and BDB): "A ( regional corps) Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Cascades, Blue Devils B, SCV Cadets, Teal Sound, Colt Cadets."

Page 12 of the PowerPoint Proposal: "All other corps not listed in the AAA - AA - A Class; Under the guidance and care of the regional association; They can add to a show and they can attend the champs but there is no real service offered; This is a change - a clear change and a clear decision to confine our efforts to a specific group of organizations"

So, under the proposal, SCV Cadets and BDB would be bumped up to compete in the A class and the rest of the OC corps would be left out on their own with no real service offered. It cannot be any more clear that that!

Edited by Stu

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OC corps' are used as last resort plugs at WC local shows only if there are not enough WC corps' to fill the docket. Thus many OC corps' are getting locked out of more and more shows.

The 2010 listed OC only schedule sucks past July 11 for the all of the west coast OC corps'.

The 2010 listed OC only schedule "completely" sucks the entire summer for Revolution, Forte, Genesis, and Music City.

DCI already does a horrible job in supporting these OC corps'.

And the G7 want to discontinue "all" DCI support that these OC corps currently have.

I think you're being a little harsh. On the west coast, there are a good amount of shows. Tonight in Freemont it is basically an OC show. Same with Dublin tomorrow. And Paramount on the 17th. Then most corps are getting ready to head to the midwest to start the OC shows that lead up to finals week.

Revolution is playing 17 shows this season including prelims. How does that suck for them? They went out west to play some OC shows and will play more as they tour towards Michigan City. For those groups that aren't willing or able or choose not to tour all summer, who are they supposed to compete against?

There are only so many OC corps spread throughout the country. If you can think of a way to get them to play more shows together while keeping travel costs down, well I'd love to hear it.

I honestly have no idea. If I was betting I'd guess it might have to do with the fact that their show date actually moved to this Friday and maybe they couldn't get the field in Brockton for the new date?

good thing I looked here i would have gone to Brockton on Sat :-)

I think you're being a little harsh. On the west coast, there are a good amount of shows ...

Here are some facts:

a) The West Coast does not DCI make.

b) Up until the mid nineties, all of the local DCI shows around the nation had at least two if not three lower Div II of Div III corps performing prior to any Div I corps performing. Now that there is a full summer National Tour model, the fans especially across the Mid West, South, North, and East (ie everything east of the West Coast), now expect to see only WC corps compete at local shows.

c) Ask any Tour Events Partner outside of the West Coast and you will find out the expenditure risk of sponsoring a DCI show pretty much dictates that to break even or reap any profit at all there needs to be only WC corps at a local show. OC corps are now being used basically as plugs only if there are not enough WC corps signed up for a particular local show.

d) Even under the current DCI touring system, Revolution, Forte, Genesis, Music City, Legend, etc... already have to either spend a fortune to travel to the East Coast or West Coast to attend most OC only shows besides Championships, or they only schedule just the five or six shows within easy driving distance that will let them enter then go to Championships. Both of those scenerios do suck; one costs a fortune; and the other does not allow the kids to perform much at all.

e) DCI currently picks up a huge amount of the tab for WC corps, while the OC corps do not receive that much financial support form DCI. And if the G7 proposal goes through, there will be absolutely no DCI organizational support "at all" for any OC corps besides SCV Cadets, BDB, and Colt Cadets.

So tell me: I am being harsh ... how????

Edited by Stu

Soooo...let's hope this G7 deal doesn't go through

G7 PowerPoint Proposal by Hopkins and Gibbs:

Page 9 of the PowerPoint proposal: "AAA ( Tour of Champions) Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, TOP OF Tier 2 ( three years in top 8 equals permanent status)"

Page 10 of the PowerPoint presentation: "AA ( National Touring) Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Troopers, Colts, Academy, Madison, Crossmen, Spirit, Pioneer?"

Page 11 of the PowerPoint presentation (here are SCV Cadets and BDB): "A ( regional corps) Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Cascades, Blue Devils B, SCV Cadets, Teal Sound, Colt Cadets."

Page 12 of the PowerPoint Proposal: "All other corps not listed in the AAA - AA - A Class; Under the guidance and care of the regional association; They can add to a show and they can attend the champs but there is no real service offered; This is a change - a clear change and a clear decision to confine our efforts to a specific group of organizations"

So, under the proposal, SCV Cadets and BDB would be bumped up to compete in the A class and the rest of the OC corps would be left out on their own with no real service offered. It cannot be any more clear that that!

The thing that I love....Spartans....arguably the most decorated Div II (open class, whatever) corps in DCI history that is still in existence is barred from this arrangement because it is based soley on Open class corps involvement with World Class teams. Why should Colt Cadets, BDB, and SCVC be entitled to special treatment from the G7? Though BDB and SCVC has stepped it up in recent years...those three open class corps have nothing compared to the awards and championships Spartans have earned in the past. SCVC and Colt Cadets dont even come out to finals every year.

The thing that I love....Spartans....arguably the most decorated Div II (open class, whatever) corps in DCI history that is still in existence is barred from this arrangement because it is based soley on Open class corps involvement with World Class teams. Why should Colt Cadets, BDB, and SCVC be entitled to special treatment from the G7? Though BDB and SCVC has stepped it up in recent years...those three open class corps have nothing compared to the awards and championships Spartans have earned in the past. SCVC and Colt Cadets dont even come out to finals every year.

More money for the parent organizations. The A clss gets paid and AAA gets the most

July 16 there is another California show. Roosevelt High school in Corona.

The Academy - Tempe, AZ

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Devils C - Concord, CA

Cascades - Seattle, WA

City Sound - Los Angeles, CA

Gold - Hawthorne, CA

Impulse - Buena Park, CA

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA

Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA

Renegades - San Francisco, CA

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

SoCal Dream - Fountain Valley, CA

Velvet Knights - Pasadena, CA

More money for the parent organizations. The A clss gets paid and AAA gets the most

Its just interestig because the point behind their whole proposal is that those who are most competitivly successful are the ones who should recieve the most benefit.......except, it seems, where open class is concerned. In open class, its just simply a matter of who you are affiliated with.

Its just interestig because the point behind their whole proposal is that those who are most competitivly successful are the ones who should recieve the most benefit.......except, it seems, where open class is concerned. In open class, its just simply a matter of who you are affiliated with.

Hey, Snakes take care of their own young. And in this case, Gibbs and Fiedler just could not figure out a logical way to justify taking care of their own Cadet Corps without acknowledging the Colts also had a Cadets Corps. Otherwise, I am sure that the Colt Cadets would also have been left out in the cold under the G7 plan.