Open-Class ONLY shows?

Are there shows that are Open-class only?

If so, do they appear on the DCI schedule?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes there are a lot actually and they do appear on the dci schedule, go on the schedule tab on dci.org click view events by corps and scroll down until you get to open class. BDB has one coming up july 10th, and there are a few soon on the east coast next week

most of the Open Class only shows are the week before DCI Week, it's a schedule set up to bring the corps to IN,and some are considered seeding shows.

most of the Open Class only shows are the week before DCI Week, it's a schedule set up to bring the corps to IN,and some are considered seeding shows.

MUSIC ON THE MARCH 2 is a seeded event for open class and happens on August 8, in Dubuque, Iowa.

I happen to feel that there should be no separation between OC and WC except at regionals and DCI Finals . I feel that the OC Corps should be scored off the same sheets as WC Corps when competing at the same show.

I also feel that DCI (OC and WC Corps Dirs.) should do a lot more in working with Show sponsors to allow more OC Corps into "WC Shows" so the OC Corps can get PAID.

Dean

I happen to feel that there should be no separation between OC and WC except at regionals and DCI Finals . I feel that the OC Corps should be scored off the same sheets as WC Corps when competing at the same show.

I also feel that DCI (OC and WC Corps Dirs.) should do a lot more in working with Show sponsors to allow more OC Corps into "WC Shows" so the OC Corps can get PAID.

Dean

I agree, except, in the vein of regionals, not only should they be separated, but should OC get their own regionals.

yes there are a lot actually and they do appear on the dci schedule, go on the schedule tab on dci.org click view events by corps and scroll down until you get to open class. BDB has one coming up july 10th, and there are a few soon on the east coast next week

The show on the 10th has two world class corps and two all age corps along with the open class corps.

I agree, except, in the vein of regionals, not only should they be separated, but should OC get their own regionals.

Very good question. The only way OC should get their own regional is if they get PAID. Other then that my answer would be no.

There is a show in Cal. where most if not all Corps in that state compete. Yet the winner of that show can not claim they are the best Corps in the state because all Corps are not scored on the same sheets.

I do not know if this has been done yet. The American Legion national headquarters are located here in Indy. Has any of the powers that be contacted them and asked if they would sponsor an National OC show at there national convention? How about the VFW? How about asking the City of Marion Ohio if they would bring back the US Open. These shows would not be regional Championships, they would be National Championships.

To me, scoring OC and WC on different sheets screams, separate but equal. In Major League Baseball some teams will play a game or two against their AAA farm team. When they do this they play by the same rules.

By the way, using the same sheets is nothing new.

The bottom line for me is that when an OC Corps compete they must get PAID something, anything.

Dean

The way I see it, if at one show there are Open Class and World Class corps competing, and they get judged on the same sheets, I think those sheets should be used at all shows, even if it's just World Class or just Open Class in that show. I don't know how the judging systems and the sheets work exactly, but if they use those sheets at every show, then it might be easier for the staff/members to know if they're better or worse. I may be wrong, but I believe at an Open/World Class show, if all of the corps are judged on the same sheets, it's usually the sheets for the World Class. Therefor, the scores for the Open Class corps very well may go down a few points. But if they were to use Open Class sheets, the scores for the World Class corps would go up more than if they were to use World Class sheets. But if they somehow came up with a modified sheet to use at a combined show, it might work... :thumbdown: