Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

Looks like they had a lot of fun. Good for them to be able to let their hair down for a moment. I agree that the guard could have been a little bit more "organized" but what the heck. If they can relax and then get back to the seriousness of rehearsal then bravo. Not a big deal...........

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh lord. How terrible?! It must be so awful that Crown entertained people who have probably seen this corps once and will never see them again and probably called them a marching band. Independence Day parade crowd does not equal DCI competition crowd. It's funny how we want to be entertained, yet have the performers look like they are are uninterested and mad to be there all the time. I'm all for having a game face when you are actually putting on your program, but when you are playing Madonna for a crowd, that for the most part, had no clue they existed before they marched past and might have a hard time remembering their name the next day. And for those that do remember them, there is is this little thing called the internet with videos they can watch to see what drum corps is like most of the time.

(BTW, if my posts are coming off as cranky today, I had my wisdom teeth out this morning and my mouth hurts and I'm stuck eating pudding and mashed potatoes for the next few days. So the truth is, I am a wee bit cranky. Just figure I would provide an explanation.)

Relax all you whiny pretentious armchair drum corps directors. Its a parade and they are having fun, which is what the activity is about. The corps needs to have fun, let off some steam and just relax. I see absolutely no harm in that performance. They were entertaining the crowd. Be as it may, I have seen some corps act far too serious in parades, which in turn leaves the crowds going "Oh, well I guess they are hating this"

They aren't a "disgrace" to the activity for the performance on that video, they aren't doing the activity or its image any harm. Loosen up people, maybe more fans would come back to the shows if everyone wasn't so uptight and pretentious.

exactly.

cincblock.jpg

wait... what?

Hahahaha, you win!!!

Perhaps I should have said that BD and the Cavies "USUALLY" keep the seriousness of the activity in check...but not always! :smile:

Oh lord. How terrible?! It must be so awful that Crown entertained people who have probably seen this corps once and will never see them again and probably called them a marching band. Independence Day parade crowd does not equal DCI competition crowd. It's funny how we want to be entertained, yet have the performers look like they are are uninterested and mad to be there all the time. I'm all for having a game face when you are actually putting on your program, but when you are playing Madonna for a crowd, that for the most part, had no clue they existed before they marched past and might have a hard time remembering their name the next day. And for those that do remember them, there is is this little thing called the internet with videos they can watch to see what drum corps is like most of the time.

(BTW, if my posts are coming off as cranky today, I had my wisdom teeth out this morning and my mouth hurts and I'm stuck eating pudding and mashed potatoes for the next few days. So the truth is, I am a wee bit cranky. Just figure I would provide an explanation.)

Well said!

"Blue Devils and Cavaliers--who are known for their more relaxed attitude."

I have seen the Cavaliers first hand as they march their three fourth of July parades for the last six years. In no way do they exhibit the behavior that CC did. They don't even come close. The guard dresses in the Cavalier Uniform and each carries the Cavalier flag. The guard has a routine that is used for the parade as well....albeit it is a simple routine. At the front of the corps are the colors and they are guarded. The corps plays traditional march music. All of the performers stay in step, rank and file. There is no horseplay.

This is not about a "silly parade" as some have put it, or whether or not it is a DCI competition or G7 corps or not. It is about the respect for the community that has paid good money to have said corps march in their parades. Believe it or not, they do care, and if you were to take a poll on the issue, I would bet good money that many of the fans were not appreciative of their attitude.

In an earlier post it was stated that...."In An activity desperate to establish its identity outside its base can't succeed by diluting that identity. That's what Crown did in this instance. It sacrificed an opportunity to win over some fans to its true identity, which is pretty good.

All our top corps can have fun on the parade route. But if they do, they're only leading the crowd to a different expectation of what drum corps is.

Just my opinion.

in my eyes, they did do harm to their corps

if that is meant to looked relaxed, fail, it just looks like they didn't practice and threw some slop out there

and here I thought preforming was fun and preforming well was even more fun..fun is on their time, when they are not being paid to play and not in uni in front of an audience

not surprised though, they have always been more band than drum corps…and that's awesome, way to flaunt your excellence, you know what you claim is the selling point of this activity, clearly it was full on there

maybe they should have added some more body movement to cover their lack of marching tech

way to go crown staff, you keep teaching fun

now I want a toy trumpet too, odd that

I think you should at least be consistent about who you are.

When I was DM of the Bridgemen, I don't think I ever made it to the end of a parade (and certainly not the Bristol parade) without somebody giving me a beer. We were laid back, a bit crazy, totally accessible, and people responded accordingly.

When I was DM of Star of Indiana, that would never, ever happen. That was not our image, that was not our style, and it was not true to the reputation we were trying to build.

Carolina Crown being silly or goofing off in a parade isn't the end of the world. But it doesn't seem consistent to the image they're trying to build. Heck, if they want to be a "Bridgemen-type" corps, then go all out and be that. But if you're going to wear a certain type of uniform and model a certain type of behavior most of the time, why not be consistently true to that image?

Frankly, I have always hated corps that do the half uniform/half ###ed performance in a parade because it's hot. If you're going to show up and be paid, put on your uniform and deliver the performance the people that hired you expect you to deliver. You want to get to the end of the parade and strip down and lay back in a standstill? Fine - and probably a great time! But deliver on your promises and always, always carry yourself as a champion.

You can absolutely have some fun, play some goofy pop tunes, swagger a little...and still manage to stay in step, for goodness sake!

Cheers!

Karen