Carolina Crown down to 7 snares

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Star had 5 snares in 90...we won the title that year. Star won in 91 with 8 or 9...I don't remember which.

In '91 there was a 3 way tie between Vanguard, Star, and Cavaliers.

CC might have another percussionist from the quad/front lines practicing already. What would bother me, is that their visuals/GE type scores should go down because of the holes. But, in this PC, "don't worry that you got the wrong math/english composition answer wrong, I'll give you some credit" world we live in, the judges will ignore those blanks like they did with Phantom in 89. Most corps have an extra body or two. Put them in a sling and learn the drill.

:smile: Holy cow dude! I thought I was cynical.

Amazingly huge snare lines are cool and all that, and getting them to play cleanly is another step along the way that should be given credit. Getting 5 good snare drummers to play a passage cleanly is obviously much easier than gettin g 12 to play the same passage cleanly. But as has been mentioned here, "quality" over "quantity" should be the guiding factor in snare lines, tenor lines and bass lines. Just because some coprs has 10 snares doesn't mean they are effective or doing anything remarkable... there's just a lot of them.

In this case, the physical condition of the musician is of concern, and she should do exactly what she is doing: put her health and well being over the desire to be out performing. Yes, it cuts into to her precious few years of eligability, and that stinks for her. I don't know what type of player she is, but I think it's fair to assume and to say that if she made it into Crowns snareline this year, she's got some serious talent. I hate to say it, but EQUALLY important... just in a different way... is the overall well-being of the line itself. If any musician in that line is holding the rest back due to weak playing or (in this case) a medical condition causing the weak individual, for the good of the line and the corps overall the correct decision is being made, all be it a very tough one for all involved.

The size of a snareline should not indicate how awesome they are. As also mentioned here a few times, Star, Boston Crusaders, Cadets and many others have in some years had 5 to 7 man lines that absolutely kicked ###.

Edited by GGarrett

Isn't she the drumline captain? "Serious talent" is an understatement. Especially considering she's got a few years left. Mind boggling, really.

Amazingly huge snare lines are cool and all that, and getting them to play cleanly is another step along the way that should be given credit. Getting 5 good snare drummers to play a passage cleanly is obviously much easier than gettin g 12 to play the same passage cleanly. But as has been mentioned here, "quality" over "quantity" should be the guiding factor in snare lines, tenor lines and bass lines. Just because some coprs has 10 snares doesn't mean they are effective or doing anything remarkable... there's just a lot of them.

In this case, the physical condition of the musician is of concern, and she should do exactly what she is doing: put her health and well being over the desire to be out performing. Yes, it cuts into to her precious few years of eligability, and that stinks for her. I don't know what type of player she is, but I think it's fair to assume and to say that if she made it into Crowns snareline this year, she's got some serious talent. I hate to say it, but EQUALLY important... just in a different way... is the overall well-being of the line itself. If any musician in that line is holding the rest back due to weak playing or (in this case) a medical condition causing the weak individual, for the good of the line and the corps overall the correct decision is being made, all be it a very tough one for all involved.

The size of a snareline should not indicate how awesome they are. As also mentioned here a few times, Star, Boston Crusaders, Cadets and many others have in some years had 5 to 7 man lines that absolutely kicked ###.

Heard Yesterday from a very reliable source that Carolina Crown is down to 7 snares. Ashleys tendonitis in her elbow was just apparently causing her alot of pain and im assuming that she made her decision to step out for the remainder of the season was because that she felt it was definately affecting her playing and ultimately the rest of the group. im sure that was an extremely difficult decision for her to have to make. then a second member of the line told the group that he was stepping away for personnal reasons. they are currently trying to find ashley a spot in the pit to keep her active within the group, and the other guy may be just temporarily gone. they dont know for sure yet.

My initial reaction was wow that really sucks, but after thinking about it more i think it will help the snareline and drumline overall in the future. if you have someone whos playing is being affected by injury and another whose playing is affected by just mentally not being there, removing those two links of the chain should make the rest of the line come together that much more i personally think could help make them cleaner and better for it in the long run.

question for you is do you think this will effect the group moving forward

It should not matter they are the Crown.

Isn't she the drumline captain? "Serious talent" is an understatement. Especially considering she's got a few years left. Mind boggling, really.

As sad as it makes me to hear about this, I'm also glad that Ashley going to stop aggravating that elbow. Only rest is going make that tendinitis subside.

didn't know that. Obviously a very tough situation.

7's still a competitive number. Anything less than that will definitely have trouble being heard. Just wondering, since I'm not a percussion guy, but is the girl who's leaving the line moving into the pit? Can they write her a pit part that will compliment the missing snare parts? Does it even work like that? I thought Cadets did something similar with one of their snares in 2003, but could be wrong.