Misdirected Hostility

question:

if fans aren't so upset, why did all the DCI stuff out of the Januals talk about treaching the fans, winning old fans back, and we see these roundtables being advertised?

sounds to me that there is some disconnect, and they are working on ideas to find out why

I definitely believe it is the case, I've been around the activity for a long time and it's always been that way. First (and still) towards the Blue Devils. Then the Cadets, and Star. Some towards the Cavies when they became a powerhouse for a while.

As for your Phantom example, I'd point out that Garfield 84 was still highly regarded and supported. The animosity came a few titles later.

I don't believe that fans, in general, are upset. DCP posters are, but that's nothing new.

And I disagree with your assertion that the musical program is questionable. Seems fine to me. Very effective. One of the greatest BD programs of all time, even.

You haven't heard too many major complaints here because the Cadets are probably the best hope for taking out BD this year. And if you think animosity towards the Cadets began with the narration, you're mistaken. I saw plenty of it decades before they ever picked up a microphone.

A matter of opinion. They are certainly winning just as much as ever, it's pretty hard to win if you don't have great arrangements. :tongue:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and they all went tumbling down.....lol.....at least it happened there

and not at Georgia Tech......

I dunno....if it had happened at Finals and you had the same recovery....a 10 in GE marching??? After a fall???

George Zingali (grabbing his face)......"OH DEAR GOD NO!!!!"

I would've expected "ARE YOU S####### ME?" I heard a tape from someone who snuck one into the show and caught the crown response when the Wipeout happened....a pretty hefty groan from his section of the crowd.

How would one explain Zingali to someone who wasn't around then? It's like trying to explain what Johnny Carson meant to America.

Good God, Boo.....that's possibly the best description of Z's importance to drum corps I've ever heard!

question:

if fans aren't so upset, why did all the DCI stuff out of the Januals talk about treaching the fans, winning old fans back, and we see these roundtables being advertised?

sounds to me that there is some disconnect, and they are working on ideas to find out why

I was referring to what fans think of this years' Blue Devils, not the activity in general. :tongue:

I was referring to what fans think of this years' Blue Devils, not the activity in general. :tongue:

I think BD, being one of the leaders of the pack year in and year out is to be considered in the question I asked.

It wasnt all that long ago that a majority of the fans walked out loving the champion regardless of who it was. Regardless of what region of the country it was in.

so far, going back to the start of the 09 season, the shows most complained about on here belong to BD, the recognized most successful corps in DCI.

so, I think the complaints registered by many about BD apply to the activity in general, because we all know, what the ledaers do, other emulate and try to become

I think BD, being one of the leaders of the pack year in and year out is to be considered in the question I asked.

It wasnt all that long ago that a majority of the fans walked out loving the champion regardless of who it was. Regardless of what region of the country it was in.

so far, going back to the start of the 09 season, the shows most complained about on here belong to BD, the recognized most successful corps in DCI.

so, I think the complaints registered by many about BD apply to the activity in general, because we all know, what the ledaers do, other emulate and try to become

To expand on your last part a bit, I see an awful lot of people making statements that imply that there's something wrong with BD doing as well as they do with their programs of late.

If there's something wrong with it, then who is to blame? BD's staff is where the finger pointing oftentimes begins....people seriously think they're doing something wrong for putting together a show that they know will score well based on judging criteria and judges that the member corps have put into place, and that every single corps chooses to be rated by.

In short, it's beyond silly to blame BD for succeeding under a system that the corps, themselves, have put into place and have 100% power over changing...and revamping judging has happened and does happen and will continue to happen. I can understand people complaining about judging and wanting it to change, but to focus all of the anger on BD or any other corps that happens to succeed with a program you don't like is just loony tunes.

Good God, Boo.....that's possibly the best description of Z's importance to drum corps I've ever heard!

Thank you.

It's the judges you should hate and not the performers or G7 or Hopkins or Gibbs.

The judges are the reason for your anger. As a past performer in DCI, I would not ever think of booing any corps for winning or for being beat by another corps.

It's July 10th... And last time I checked, an 88 doesn't win the world title.

So get over it. Grow up and quit hating one corps for winning one show in early July...

For all of you math wizards, what is 88-85.7 ?

Answer: 2.3. Meaning... Not 3 points.

That spread can be .1 tomorrow.

Get over it and hate the judges if you must.

But, respect all DCI performers by never booing.

And really... Grow up.

Here it is July 13 and the Denver results still weigh on my mind. You're telling me the Cadets have only improved .8 tenths since July 3rd? 84.9 - 85.7. What happens in Omaha Wednesday night if that spread of 2.3 dwindles down to a couple of tenths? That certainly will create a new thread. I for one will trust the process and keep my faith in the Cadets.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

to be honest...on the music side, i'm not sure what they are doing should be scoring that high with what I know of the system. sure on the how side, I can see it, but the what baffles me

To expand on your last part a bit, I see an awful lot of people making statements that imply that there's something wrong with BD doing as well as they do with their programs of late.

If there's something wrong with it, then who is to blame? BD's staff is where the finger pointing oftentimes begins....people seriously think they're doing something wrong for putting together a show that they know will score well based on judging criteria and judges that the member corps have put into place, and that every single corps chooses to be rated by.

In short, it's beyond silly to blame BD for succeeding under a system that the corps, themselves, have put into place and have 100% power over changing...and revamping judging has happened and does happen and will continue to happen. I can understand people complaining about judging and wanting it to change, but to focus all of the anger on BD or any other corps that happens to succeed with a program you don't like is just loony tunes.

well, so far this year, i think, IMO, it is just the Blue Devils, tho Crown is getting close. but in past years, it was more than them.

fans, like DCI markets focus on the winner. look at the Yankees...they buy all that talent, and win...which is ok, but people bash them...yet baseball loves it because the Yankees=$$

however, baseball has a far larger audience, and we've seen show design, even from a small number of corps turn fans off and away in the past. Funny, at that time, BD wasn't one of those people had issues with

But if it were only the Devils, and the other corps were giving the folks what they wanted, why would there be a problem?