The Minneapolis Mash-Up

Stinks that I came all this way for Mother Nature to be the tramp that she is. Oh Well Next show will be The Masters in the Murph. Given the limited number of corps that got to step off, I think this stadium will be perfect for future regionals. Site lines were good, I liked the sound comfortable seating and the city is nice.

Maybe this is where Finals should be held every year for the next 10 years? I would definitely consider going here.

Just now back to the place im crashing in Eagan (what a mess on the roads). I will say while i cant fault DCI for the weather, a couple of the delays early on were way too premature, especially the delay when it was just barely spitting rain as Pio finished. Its drum corps, a little light rain is fine. Mightve gotten a couple more corps in if not for that. Obviously the tornado ones couldnt be avoided.

Also, especially for a regional like this (and the price tag), im a little surprised there was no standstill contingency, especially with a big arena literally next door.

Without reading 23 pages (sorry) any word on what the lineup for Murfreesboro will be with this show not going on?

Was it too dangerous for all the amps/speakers/microphones plugged in that a little rain will delay a show? Another reason to get rid of amps.

let's be realistic...there arent a lot of domes out there. and if you move all of the big shows to domes, you cut off a LOT of fans from being able to go.

Please, oh please, DCI don't ever consider Cowboy Stadium in Dallas (Arlington) for a regional/Finals show. Saw a U2 concert there, and anybody sitting in the 300 level or above couldn't hear a thing.

Maybe this is where Finals should be held every year for the next 10 years? I would definitely consider going here.

Not quite big enough for Finals...but I wouldn't complain! It's just down the road from me (well, 3 hrs...but still!)

I know the majority of you guys/gals hate domes, but maybe with this many corps at one competition, it should be held inside. I know PR and the corps that followed were disappointed they couldn't march. And so were the fans, many of whom travelled long distances to see them.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. to Michael Boo: Thanks much for the blog!!! Lots of interesting info.

Comedy, in my opinion = even after he warned folks about his gluttony of useless Minnesota trivia I still stayed logged on reading it. I appreciated the blog, and I wish I would've followed it more during the broadcast. Entertaining for sure

Was it too dangerous for all the amps/speakers/microphones plugged in that a little rain will delay a show? Another reason to get rid of amps.

I think the bigger concern was lightning. All of the rain delays were accompanied by lightning. (Except for the one after Pio, however the sky looked a little menacing.)

This happened to me once... we got tapes (and maybe the scores) but they didn't publish them officially.

It happened to me in 97 as well. I can't for the life of me remember where we were, but right as we were about to begin our show an announcement came down that a tornado had touched down a few miles away. As we performed there was thunder and lightening everywhere, but they didn't stop the performance. I remember as soon as he hit the release staff members rushing to us to tell us to hustle back to the truck to unload so we could get the heck out of there.

We were the last corps to go on, and the next week I read in Drum Corps World that we won the show by default. I don't remember anymore if we had a score published, but I remember the goofiness on the bus as word quickly spread that we "won" that show (of course, there was no way we would've won that show if anyone went on after us).

I can understand DCI no bothering with publishing scores, but unless I'm remembering wrong (it's possible that the article made light of the show joking that we 'won') there was a time when DCI did publish scores from incomplete shows. FWIW there were only a few corps after us and we were past intermission, so maybe there were enough performances to classify the competition as "official." It wasn't a regional or anything, and the scores didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of the season (i.e. they didn't seed us for the next big Regional).