Can we still enjoy drum corps?

3. While we have too many negative people we need to learn to take some criticism. Yes, I know this activity is populated by young adults performing for our enjoyment. College football is quite similar in that regard. We need to learn to take some bad with the good. No, don't go booing the corps at a show and no, don't NEVER say anything positive. However, if you're reading a review from a show and the poster says they don't like a particular part and they wished it would be totally changed or they don't think the members can handle it don't fly off the handle and tell them they shouldn't ever say anything bad about the kids or whatever. Sometimes the members screw up and do something wrong. It happens. I sure as hell remember doing it and I got an earful from the staff. It's part of drum corps and is part of an activity that we all love and is such a wonderful thing to exist at all.

Thank you.

So much.

I use these newfangled resources as tools to help my gain even more enjoyment out of drum corps. I get to preview shows via Fan Network which helps me appreciate the live experience even more, I get to stay connected to the crazy people obsessed enough with the activity to come to DCP every day, and Facebook helps me stay in touch with dozens (if not hundreds) of folks with whom I am connected through alumni activities. I get to control my reactions to things on the internet, and if I can't shrug stuff off, then I'm in too deep. That's when I take a step back for a while.

the internet only made drum corps that much more enjoyable, and i was already hooked from birth

So, with all of the information at our fingertips 24/7 and being accessible to information we would have never have known good or bad about corps, people and shows, I ask the question has the internet, forums, twitter, etc. began the downfall of simply being able to completely enjoy a drum corps show or even a drum corps season?

I enjoy being able to see the scores and read about shows and corps, but I just wonder if the information we are exposed to online about the corps as the season progresses (insider info, etc.) tants our ability to watch a show and simply enjoy it for what it is. Or, based on what we read about what is going on with a corps or a show, we are subjective to liking the show or not based on the publicity - good or bad - a corps gets before we even see a show.

Just a thinking about this while reading through the posts from last night and today. I know we make the choice to read something or not, but truthfully it is like a trainwreck, once you start watching (or reading) you just can't turn away sometimes.

I know for me personally, I will walk into the Atlanta show expecting certain things (good or bad) from certain corps and out of their shows based on what I have read on here. It will be an effort to sit there and enjoy some of the shows for what they are and not what is currently going on with the corps, has gone on with the corps or show or might happen to the corps in the future.

Not saying saying there is anything wrong with the current state of information (news in the world is like that in all areas of life), just randomly thinking about how influential, either consciously or sub-consciously, the news at our fingertips is when we watch shows and our enjoyment of them.

I have never let prior reviews influence my opinion of a corps or impact my enjoyment of any drum corps. Also, different people enjoy different things. If I start reading a review, and the person is talking constantly about uniform styles, flag colors, guard work, and visual performance, I will probably forget that review within minutes, as visual isn't my thing. On the other hand, if I read reviews by musicians discussing the musical content and performance of a program, I'm listening. I still might have a different opinion, but that's ok. I also try to ignore "rose-colored glasses" reviews. If the person says everyone was just great, I am probably going to have a different opinion. I also know that I may really love some shows that aren't even close to the top score-wise........Conversely, I have heard title winners that I am not interested in hearing again.

I have also learned that my opinion of a corps is not necessarily concrete after the 1st view.......after 8 - 14 hours of rehearsal per day, I would expect people to get better, sometimes majorly better. That's one thing great about drumcorps.....if you see a movie or hear a tune/artist that you don't like, it's not going to change. However, I have seen some shows turn out well that were horror stories in June and early July. I have also seen a corps start out well and then hit a brick wall.

The bottom line for me is this......when I get to a show, I try to watch/listen to each corps as if I haven't seen/heard them at all. Even if I dislike a show, I at least respect that people busted tail to produce it. And I love it when someone surprises me.

GB

Yes, we can enjoy it. And even though I disagree with a lot of posts, I will openly admit that I have learned from most of the posters on the board. We don't have to agree, and forums are a great place to argue and push each others buttons. However, I have been to 6 shows this year, and plan on another 6. I am amazed at the talent of the "kids," and what they can achieve in a fairly short time. Having a favorite makes it more fun. Went to a show in Pleasant Hill tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed the show with SCVC, BDB, BDC, Cascade, Mandarin, and others. The really big names in DCI weren't there, the crowd was pretty small, but it was a great time. SCVC was quite clean, and both Mandarin and Cascade had fine shows, but Velvet Knights were hilarious... As I said, a great night.

I find I have more interest in attending live shows than in the 90s and early 2000s when I was, essentially, unconnected electronically. I may disagree with much that is said, but I find a lot of it thoughtful enough that I want to get out and see for myself, whereas in earlier times I might just say, 'oh, drum corps is something I used to do...'