Can we still enjoy drum corps?

So, with all of the information at our fingertips 24/7 and being accessible to information we would have never have known good or bad about corps, people and shows, I ask the question has the internet, forums, twitter, etc. began the downfall of simply being able to completely enjoy a drum corps show or even a drum corps season?

I enjoy being able to see the scores and read about shows and corps, but I just wonder if the information we are exposed to online about the corps as the season progresses (insider info, etc.) tants our ability to watch a show and simply enjoy it for what it is. Or, based on what we read about what is going on with a corps or a show, we are subjective to liking the show or not based on the publicity - good or bad - a corps gets before we even see a show.

Just a thinking about this while reading through the posts from last night and today. I know we make the choice to read something or not, but truthfully it is like a trainwreck, once you start watching (or reading) you just can't turn away sometimes.

I know for me personally, I will walk into the Atlanta show expecting certain things (good or bad) from certain corps and out of their shows based on what I have read on here. It will be an effort to sit there and enjoy some of the shows for what they are and not what is currently going on with the corps, has gone on with the corps or show or might happen to the corps in the future.

Not saying saying there is anything wrong with the current state of information (news in the world is like that in all areas of life), just randomly thinking about how influential, either consciously or sub-consciously, the news at our fingertips is when we watch shows and our enjoyment of them.

Ignorance is bliss. Of course it's hindering our ability to blindly enjoy something based only on the merits of what's presented. The internet made the world transparent and, as a result, we know more than we did before. Sometimes, the things we dislike off the field are enough to surmount what we do like on the field.

Would you still love Phantom Regiment 2008 if you found out that the staff beat members for mistakes during rehearsal?

The internet has certainly changed the way we go to shows and what we do at shows.;

Even just a few years back I was going to shows for the first time with a blank slate not knowing what I was going to see.

Now days between the fan network and word of mouth I know what to look for in shows and some shows I might want to enjoy a hot dog with.

Gotta to remember how old I am too. Back in the day you use to go with groups of people to a show and wind up seeing people you have not seen since last season or talked too since last season.

All in all I think I got out of drum corps what I put into it.

Sure we can.

I could care less what anyone scores . . .I love having access to the music whenever I want now, as opposed to waiting like before.

I've now gained the ability to hear some shows I really like multiple times, and want to hear again on CD later in the year. If I get more than a few of those in a year, I call that a success and enjoyment in my book.

I read DCP and enjoy Fan Network because we have a long distance to travel to almost any show. I get a kick out of how people get so argumentative on DCP. All of the information does not affect my enjoyment of the shows. As a matter of fact, with Fan Network, I can see how the corps are progressing during the season, changes made to music and drill, etc.

So, in short, it is a blessing to have all of this information available to those who are interested in the activity.

At this point in my life, scores and placements are such a tiny part of the activity, and not one I put much stock in. I enjoy drum corps more than I have in awhile, and in a much more enjoyable way at least, than I did when I was younger and more caught up in scores/placements/rivalries. Last night I got to watch TWO big drum corps shows from my condo. A bunch of friends came over, I hooked the laptop up to the HD TV, grilled some hotdogs, the wife made homemade peach pie, and we had a fun evening. No score, placement, or spread changes the experience, and other than wishing friends on staff or students marching in corps do well, I don't care too much about spreads (other than in an interesting analysis type way).

Good insights. I wasn't really thinking about scores and placements, it is everything else we hear about. Scores/placements really don't mess with me on the way I view a corps. Fan Network is a plus, I love that aspect. Just in general I think from time to time the "background/insider info" stuff is what tends to affect me when watching a corps.

I don't think so, at least not in all cases. Take college football for example. I'm a HUGE Alabama fan and when I joined BamaOnLine two years ago and got even MORE chances to talk with fellow Bama fans it just made me love it even more (that and getting all the inside information). The problem I think with DCP and DCI, IMO is:

1. There's no inside information. Either no one knows anything or they're not willing to tell everyone. I'm not referring to secret things each corps does that only initiated members know, that's not it. But all the people that knew a lot of about shows, uniforms, etc. prior to them being debuted, throw us a bone. Like we always say, DCP is but a small microcosm of the drum corps fan base and, much like my fellow fans at BamaOnLine, our "dedication" to spend time on here couldn't hurt to be rewarded a little bit with some behind-the-scenes information.

2. Too many negative people. We have our fair share of people on BamaOnLine who are still stuck in the Mike Shula years and are wary every season that we're gonna fall on our face. I'll admit, I don't like all of the changes that have happened to drum corps. However, we don't need five posts a day telling us how much you liked it in the old days or how much you hate amps or electronics or whatever. (a) You're just creating a toxic environment of bad attitudes and (b) you're not going to fix the problem by posting on DCP. If you want to change something, email some directors or stop paying for tickets.

3. While we have too many negative people we need to learn to take some criticism. Yes, I know this activity is populated by young adults performing for our enjoyment. College football is quite similar in that regard. We need to learn to take some bad with the good. No, don't go booing the corps at a show and no, don't NEVER say anything positive. However, if you're reading a review from a show and the poster says they don't like a particular part and they wished it would be totally changed or they don't think the members can handle it don't fly off the handle and tell them they shouldn't ever say anything bad about the kids or whatever. Sometimes the members screw up and do something wrong. It happens. I sure as hell remember doing it and I got an earful from the staff. It's part of drum corps and is part of an activity that we all love and is such a wonderful thing to exist at all.

I don't blame you if you don't read all that. :tongue: