So it's the big week

The "original presentation" DID mention the DCI plan.

from page 15 of the power point.

The current plan and implementation of that plan, though voted and agreed to, lacks the vision to bring forth success.

Wow, I missed that?

Thanks for correcting me, I'll go look right now...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

garfield, that's been my question all along. In September, at least three of the four G7 directors approved DCI's current business plan. By May, they were all endorsing a new plan, one so different than the previous plan that the board was reshuffled. Even after that, the two G7 directors who remained on the board - Fiedler and Valenzuela - resigned their positions. That level of dissatisfaction seems striking to me, and I'm skeptical that it was simply politicking on the part of the one "no" vote from September. We still don't know what led to this desire for a change of course. Until we do, I think it's premature to say yea or nay to any proposed changes.

As an aside, I doubt strongly that any final proposal will match exactly what we saw in the powerpoint presentation. That presentation was intended for a select audience, one that had the appropriate background, and was never meant for public consumption. It wasn't complete. Here on DCP we've attacked that proposal as though it were a fully formed business plan, but it's not. We don't even have any hint of the context in which it was presented. Of course, if you hear that a certain idea is being considered, and you disapprove of that idea, then you are free to voice your displeasure. I just think it's worth keeping in mind that the only official announcement we've had from the G7 was Fiedler's article, posted to multiple corps' websites.

Apparently we have our answer - they did address it. Succinctly.

I wonder now what basis they have to conclude it won't work? Lacks "the vision"? Really?

Still have my :thumbup: on.

Edited by garfield

This is exactly what I expect as well. There will 2 or 3 "new format" shows.

No one leaves DCI.

Reformers revert back to their incremental strategy.

Things mostly stay the same.

This is my expectation as well. The harder question is whether and how the directors rebuild mutual trust and the ability to work effectively together. It's going to be pretty tough to get back to the status quo ante.

This is my expectation as well. The harder question is whether and how the directors rebuild mutual trust and the ability to work effectively together. It's going to be pretty tough to get back to the status quo ante.

This is a concern. The status quo ante was an incrementalist "nudge" method towards the "bandification" of the activity. If they all kiss and make up, and agree to go back to the ante version of things, we'll end up back here in short order.

It seems to me that the whole direction of the "nudge" approach as illustrated by Gibbs/Hopkins et al must be addressed now and either accepted as inevitable or put down on its merits so a new vision can be established.

DCI's vision isn't new but, if it doesn't work, the G7 can still push for the "bandification" of the activity. If the G7 is accepted and subsequently fails what's left of DCI to go back to?

Edited by garfield

This is a concern. The status quo ante was an incrementalist "nudge" method towards the "bandification" of the activity. If they all kiss and make up, and agree to go back to the ante version of things, we'll end up back here in short order.

It seems to me that the whole direction of the "nudge" approach as illustrated by Gibbs/Hopkins et al must be addressed now and either accepted as inevitable or put down on its merits so a new vision can be established.

DCI's vision isn't new but, if it doesn't work, the G7 can still push for the "bandification" of the activity. If the G7 is accepted and subsequently fails what's left of DCI to go back to?

I honestly think that "kiss and make up" is not going to be possible at this point without an outright public apology... and that may not even be enough to seal this rift. What does concern me more than anything else... is now that many have punched holes in the G7 armor, has that in itself, allowed them to regroup and now come back with a even stronger more thought out approach this week to present to the board...with more ammunition now that was lacking previously.

I'm new to this whole G7 discussion, <job interference with my drum corps browsing and all> but I am not surprised by this at all.

The G7 corps have been building very strong organizations over the last couple of decades. So much so that they are consistently able to attract the absolute best talent in the 17-21 age group to perform in this venue.

They have strategically saturated and dominated the marching arts market with their name brands and worked diligently to get a product out there for consumption by the literally thousands of marching band programs around the United States (and Japan/Europe for that matter).

The corps obtain sponsorship from major equipment suppliers (Yamaha, King, Dynasty, Jupiter, Pearl, Zildjian, FJM, Dickies, on and on...) who froth at the teeth to let the G7 corps show the consumers what can be done with their products. Then the G7 go out and hold clinics to market for their sponsors. These clinics both train the kids and create a desire to participate in this great activity. Sell it Baby!!!

That's just smart. Become profitable and you are no longer bound to the limitations associated with being a 501c organization. This is the writing on the wall.

All of the G7 organizations are well rounded. BD has the Diablo Wind Symphony, WGI, DCI, BDE programs, along with System Blue. Garfield (YEA!) has the DCI, WGI, USSSA, clinics, etc. CC has DCI, WGI, clinics, etc. And so on.... For these organizations to work together is a brilliant strategy. They cover every corner (and the creamy center) of the United States. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that they will not branch out (in some manner) into the profitable world? It could be 'BLAST!' -like or something else that they dream up.

How many of us who performed wouldn't have given their left...thumb to have the opportunity to continue performing?! I could totally see the expansion of this new performing arts venue beyond the the 'non-profit' training grounds of DCI. That means the G7 could play on both sides of the fence as long as there were a separate and distinct venue for the post-ageout era. It would be no different than Bill Cook's Transportation company help fund Star.

What a great way to allow ageouts (with the incredible training and talent that exists) to continue pursuing growth and push the envelope of possibilities for this sport. And what a great way to maintain the solid financial foundation required to operate a fully touring drum and bugle corps. Not to mention the number of non-performer jobs (CEO, CFO, Marketing Directors, Artitic Directors...) that would be created to support the for profit groups.

Just my two-cents. Rambling done....

Edited by skluyuk

I'm new to this whole G7 discussion, <job interference with my drum corps browsing and all> but I am not surprised by this at all.

The G7 corps have been building very strong organizations over the last couple of decades. So much so that they are consistently able to attract the absolute best talent in the 17-21 age group to perform in this venue.

They have strategically saturated and dominated the marching arts market with their name brands and worked diligently to get a product out there for consumption by the literally thousands of marching band programs around the United States (and Japan/Europe for that matter).

The corps obtain sponsorship from major equipment suppliers (Yamaha, King, Dynasty, Jupiter, Pearl, Zildjian, FJM, Dickies, on and on...) who froth at the teeth to let the G7 corps show the consumers what can be done with their products. Then the G7 go out and hold clinics to market for their sponsors. These clinics both train the kids and create a desire to participate in this great activity. Sell it Baby!!!

That's just smart. Become profitable and you are no longer bound to the limitations associated with being a 501c organization. This is the writing on the wall.

All of the G7 organizations are well rounded. BD has the Diablo Wind Symphony, WGI, DCI, BDE programs, along with System Blue. Garfield (YEA!) has the DCI, WGI, USSSA, clinics, etc. CC has DCI, WGI, clinics, etc. And so on.... For these organizations to work together is a brilliant strategy. They cover every corner (and the creamy center) of the United States. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that they will not branch out (in some manner) into the profitable world? It could be 'BLAST!' -like or something else that they dream up.

How many of us who performed wouldn't have given their left...thumb to have the opportunity to continue performing?! I could totally see the expansion of this new performing arts venue beyond the the 'non-profit' training grounds of DCI. That means the G7 could play on both sides of the fence as long as there were a separate and distinct venue for the post-ageout era. It would be no different than Bill Cook's Transportation company help fund Star.

What a great way to allow ageouts (with the incredible training and talent that exists) to continue pursuing growth and push the envelope of possibilities for this sport. And what a great way to maintain the solid financial foundation required to operate a fully touring drum and bugle corps. Not to mention the number of non-performer jobs (CEO, CFO, Marketing Directors, Artitic Directors...) that would be created to support the for profit groups.

This was a brilliantly crafted and compelling case for the G-7 to take their shows to all " the creamy centers " ( your most eloquent words ) of the world. Leave DCI. Just as you said here, bring in the 25-30 year older and the 17- 18 year older. Go all over the world. Maybe Japan ( as you said ).. Give up the Not for Profit Status ( as you said ), and go make a HUGE profit, and allow the also huge capital gains taxes to help pay down national debt, which could be a real public service for the for profit G-7..... also the G-7 won't have to compete. The musical bands can perform exhibitions . Bring in the woodwinds too. They can become a traveling group of bands that could charge $80. a ticket and more to see and hear their collective brilliance. There are 10,000 musical bands of all stripes, ie Orchestra, Rock, Country, Jazz, Marching, Show,, etc out there in this world trying to make a buck, but this G-7 sounds like a work of genius in the making, MUCH better thought out than the 10,000 musical bands out there with their agents trying to book venues for them.

I'm all for it. I think the G-7 should leave DCI at the end of this year. Take a production like this years 2010 DCI Blue Devils show, for instance.. the BEST in DCI... and combine it with the others in the G-7... and go out to the world and as you so enthusiastically said above : ... " SELL IT BABY !!

Edited by BRASSO

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you too if you want :tongue:

There's an awful lot of stuff in your post that's not presented in the G7 plan, and several presumptions that I think are off the mark.

Where do you get the impression that age limitations will be lifted?

Where do you get the impression that the G7 want to give up the 501c(3) gravy train?

What gives you the impression that these corps are on "solid financial footing"? It seems to me that they aren't on solid financial footing. YEA! supports Cadets, a "losing" organization. Blue Devils are threatened with losing a significant chunk of their primary funding operation (bingo). That they are NOT on solid financial ground is the reason they're trying to dismantle DCI and take more of the marbles for themselves.

If the tens-of-thousands of marching band programs were actually interested in drum corps the activity wouldn't be seeing its fan numbers dwindle and corps numbers shrink. What evidence do you (or they) have to suggest that the G7 change will bring those fans flocking to shows and tryouts?

I think you can see from the responses you've gotten so far that there's little support for the G7 plan's success based on the ego and dreams of a few G7 "visionaries".

Please read ALL of the supporting G7 info, then come back and correct or defend your post's assertions.

Edited by garfield

oh and this is an area for the age-outs to participate in...it's called DCA