Names for drill moves

Keeping it simple for newcomers, because we shouldn't expect everyone to know the basics that we take for granted.

Company front: A straight line that pushes to the front. This is probably the most standard drill move amongst practically all corps.

What other basic drill moves are there?

At least it used to be, these days it's everyones "Variations on a Comany Front".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it used to be, these days it's everyones "Variations on a Comany Front".

Cadets did two of these "Variations" you speak of, in 1987 (the dissolving company front that everybody knows) and 1994 with the backwards company front. These variations have been going on longer than you think they have.

Phallic drill - Countless corps.

the rotating company front...ala Scouts 95 & 04

That's called a wheel. That's probably how drumcorps wow'd the judges back in the 1920's

Phallic drill - Countless corps.

A cross to a cross - Star

A gun and a knife - BD

Wonder Box: Follow the leader within a block. When they follow horizontally or diagonally it creates the impression the corps is moving really fast. Which is fun. I'm pretty sure I was a part of one at some point, but I can't remember which year.

Not a named move, but anything that sets up an expectation and then does something unexpected is always a favorite of mine. Visual equivalent of setting up a string of predominants and fooling everyone by resolving the dominant as a Gr+6.

No sarcasm here, but I do have a used car to sell. Only 205,000 miles...

...and how can you forget the "SPOS Windshield Wiper" in the CAC08 show? After expanding the rainbow in the closer, the whole corps rotates on a point on the front sideline appoximately centered on Boo to get us to the number 2 side to set up for the stepover. (SPOS is an inside joke :tongue: )

Was I used as the pic point? Did the horns just decide to focus on the single biggest thing on the front line? :rolleyes:

In the Cavalier 2001 Four Corners show there's a move by the hornline during a drum break (2/3rds of the way through the show) called "Family Photo". The horns literally run in three spirals into three "squads". These squads are posing as though someone was taking their picture. If you look closely, a guy in the right-most squad is trying to put his horn back together because he fell while running to his spot. A tuning slide fell out and he tries to put it back. Unfortunately, he's compressing air in the tube. If he only would have pressed a valve, it would have gone in. As it turned out, the tube shot out of the horn. They picked it up off the field after the performance.

I've noticed that poor guy falling down before, but I never saw him trying to put the slide back in...cool little tidbit there.

2003 Cavaliers - The "Deli Slicer" - About 2/3 of the way through the opener, there's a block of four rows involved in a follow-the-leader, when a circle of mellophones run across the field "slicing" columns off of the block. A sliced column rotates 180 degrees as it makes its way through the circle o' mellos, becoming a part of a newly formed follow-the-leader block upon its exit from the mellophone circle of doom.

One of the greatest drill moves ever put on the field in my opinion. So much going on.

To answer the OP, I don't think there are really any drill moves that corps are doing this year that they have done before other than the aforementioned "variations on a company front". Hmm, let's see....Well, Phantom Regiment is forming their famous chevron right near the end of their show before the epic rifle (maybe it's a sabre?) toss in the back. Also, Cadets are doing a move very similar to one they did in 2008 near the end of that show where they take a horizontal line and compress it towards the center of the field and as they do, they...well, it's hard to describe. Just watch the ending of Cadets 2008 show right after the drum break to the end and then watch their show this year on the fan network and you should spot the move. Madison scouts form their famous "fleur de lis" at the beginning of their show this year. Can't think of anymore right now. I can sum it up by saying, "Fan network, ftw!"

Toilet Bowl! -- Cadets 98 and 99, where the corps rolls into a box that builds from the center, and the box continues to rotate as it grows.

Back in the 1990s, Stuart Rice developed a system for describing drill called "planar analysis". It never got a lot of traction, but it's worth a look. Here's an article that describes it.

http://halftimemag.com/articles/web-exclus...l-Marching.html

Not so much a naming convention for particular drill moves, but an ontology for describing mass movement.

St. Cuthbert