Most impressive "reign of terror" in corps history

which corps had the most impressive reign of titles won and damage done?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the "godzilla" award for most carnage?

• BD 76-82, 5 titles in 7 years
    • Garfield 83-87, 4 titles in 5 years
    • Star 90-93, 1 title but dominated strongly
    • Cavies 00-06, 5 titles in 7 years (and second place twice)
    • BD 07-10, 2 titles in 3 years, strong for a third so far
    • BD 94-99, 4 titles in 6 years
    • SCV 73-78, 3 titles in 6 years, a true "founding father" of DCI

Im a huge fan of the Blue Devils, but the arrogance of the some of the Blue Devils alums/fans in this particular thread is a little unnerving.

I personally agree that the Blue Devils have pretty much owned DCI for the past 35 or so years, but some of the people who agree with me make it sound like the other corps in the poll had it easy so their accomplishments dont count.

My vote is for the Blue Devils, but I think they only manage to slip by both the Cavaliers and the Cadets for different reasons.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to start a flame war, I'm not. I guess I'm just surprised that this has turned into a %$%#$ match.

Your reasoning doesnt make any sense. You said exactly what others have said, its just an observation of numbers, no more, no less.

G

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to Reading's run, DCA was FAR more competitive than DCI has been. More DCA corps had a viable shot, with the several different corps winning between Brigs' streak anding and Reading's beginning. Bucs have also done it for five (maybe six) consecutive years with distinctly different groups of members.

Granted, since the streak started they have greatly outdistanced the field (don't let the close championships spreads fool you). Clearly they are doing everything right. Oh yea, and they do it on weekends only.

The old "DCA doesn't count" elitism is really tired. The 2005-2010 streak is just as, if not more impressive than any in DCI.

No one said DCA doesn't count - I love and enjoy DCA.

Fact is the Brigadier run plus the Buccaneer run had large spreads and far fewer total contests.

Buccaneers are doing everything right for sure!

Personally I am feeling " Blue " over this lack of competition in DCI and DCA :lol:

Edited by fecontra

I'm sorry. I must've missed the choice for BD 1975-2010. Was it on there?

I'm sorry. I must've missed the choice for BD 1975-2010. Was it on there?

LOL....its funny but even in their "dark era" of title-drought..they went half of some season(s) undefeated........or lost few shows. I think Im gonna go do some research of actual numbers.

G

LOL....its funny but even in their "dark era" of title-drought..they went half of some season(s) undefeated........or lost few shows. I think Im gonna go do some research of actual numbers.

G

Reminds me of when everyone here called Cavaliers 2007 a "bad year."

Yeah...third place! Just awful :tongue:

Reminds me of when everyone here called Cavaliers 2007 a "bad year."

Yeah...third place! Just awful :tongue:

exactly...the success of Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers is mindboggling that they can turn out formidable, competent products year after year with "kids" aging out and joining the ranks constantly..a testament to their work ethics and design teams....and ability to make the talent shine.

G

I think that Blue Devils Cadets and The Cavaliers have shown us all how to stay on top. Blue Devils have found a way to stay in the top 5 for along period of time. Cadets since 92 stayed in the top 5 and The Cavaliers since 98 (darn 1997!!). The point is all three of these corps have shown us how to stay on top and keep a great program going... however, I voted for The Cavaliers, not because they are my favorite but because I think they just out performed everyone during those years and just showed complete domination. However these other two did just the same.

Big question. Does "reign of terror" = Dominance ... or the ability to win and scare the crap out of those in front of them?

I took it as the latter in my post. That's why I still think the 10 years of Garfield/CBC from 1983-1993 is the clear winner. They came from behind in quite a few of those years to win. They were always a darkhorse because they stayed on the East Coast pretty much up until Allentown other than the Southern Regionals. There weren't many head to heads ... and they often didn't win the regionals they went to. Yet somehow they came out on top in the end. Whether by .1 or by 1 pt .. it didn't matter. They always went on a late tear and scared the crap out of everyone.

6 titles in 10 years, 86 was an innovative show with the brass thing having 84 horns .... 88 was a whacked out year anyway but the 4th place they received could have won easily or taken 2nd behind BD ..... Les Mis was a breakthrough show .... 91 was a dud but 92 (alot of people thought they should have won with that show) took 2nd coming on hard in the late season. The 90 win had taken losses from the 6th place corps only 3 weeks before finals. 83 was a major come from behind and even 82 as a shock to all when they moved up to 3rd place.

THAT CORPS WAS SCARY!