Most impressive "reign of terror" in corps history

which corps had the most impressive reign of titles won and damage done?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the "godzilla" award for most carnage?

• BD 76-82, 5 titles in 7 years
    • Garfield 83-87, 4 titles in 5 years
    • Star 90-93, 1 title but dominated strongly
    • Cavies 00-06, 5 titles in 7 years (and second place twice)
    • BD 07-10, 2 titles in 3 years, strong for a third so far
    • BD 94-99, 4 titles in 6 years
    • SCV 73-78, 3 titles in 6 years, a true "founding father" of DCI

Do I have to?

I meant the "not losing a competition" part. :lol:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of them fan at all - but it is BD, hands down.

Of all corps, they have been the one most focused on winning. They have budgeted for it, staffed to do it, designed to do it, trained to do it, and have won in every era. They have demonstrated complete mastery of the competitive aspect of this medium. If the judging system were reformed (as it should be), I have no doubt that BD would be on top in short order.

Until another corps matches their competitive focus, resources, and talent, BD will be odds on favorite to win every year. They are the Yankees. Everyone else is just hoping for the stars to align.

Im a huge fan of the Blue Devils, but the arrogance of the some of the Blue Devils alums/fans in this particular thread is a little unnerving.

I personally agree that the Blue Devils have pretty much owned DCI for the past 35 or so years, but some of the people who agree with me make it sound like the other corps in the poll had it easy so their accomplishments dont count.

My vote is for the Blue Devils, but I think they only manage to slip by both the Cavaliers and the Cadets for different reasons.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to start a flame war, I'm not. I guess I'm just surprised that this has turned into a %$%#$ match.

I haven't gotten that impression, which posts in particular are bothering you?

Certainly doesn't seem that way based on the polling, even adding up ALL THREE of BD's rampages don't add up percentage-wise to the number of folks who are going with Garfield, never mind Cavies.

In any case, if this were a "history of DCI" question, I'm certain we'd have little argument who the dominant corps has been. But in terms of impressive reigns of terror, there are definitely others, clearly.

I included Star even with the one title, because much like Garfield before them in their last four years they had become the corps to beat (not Devs at that time), and the fact that they won championship prelims three years running is nothing to sneeze at.

Vanguard, too, was the corps to beat back in the early days. "only" three titles during that stretch, but nobody was more feared or more lethal to compete against year after year, that's for sure.

And if you take away all their losses they would be undefeated........ :lol:

Yeah, but you understood his point right?

But for a tiny handful of unusual exceptions, the consistency has been amazing.

One could've made the same argument for the Vanguard in the first 20 years of DCI, and many did. But always with the caveat "except for that one seventh place finish...". Makes sense, right?

Edited by WestCoaster

Has to be either Garfield or Cavies, because they have had the most impact on show design activity-wide. Santa Clara in the early years, but they, like BD, remain unique, often imitated but never successfully duplicated... Garfield (and George Zingali) changed drill design completely... and Cavies (starting with Steve Brubaker) did the same, only in a slightly different direction... but you can see both directions in almost every corps show today. I voted for Garfield because my jaw dropped every time and every year I saw their show.

Yeah, but you understood his point right?

But for a tiny handful of unusual exceptions, the consistency has been amazing.

One could've made the same argument for the Vanguard in the first 20 years of DCI, and many did. But always with the caveat "except for that one seventh place finish...". Makes sense, right?

Yes, my statement was mad in sarcastic tones.

Yes, my statement was mad in sarcastic tones.

Which I understood....even in my bleary-eyed, just got up this morning state! :lol:

I think we can all agree that a corps with multiple titles is always going to be a threat....even in a seemingly down year (Sure, Cadets seem to be having some troubles this year...but to ignore their traditional late season surges is foolish). But like West Coaster said....it's the consistency for 3+ decades that sets BD apart. If I was any corps at the head of the pack and saw BD's scores creeping toward mine, it would be a big concern.

I think this poll is skewed. Most will say the Cavies because that is the most current besides BD's current run. So naturally, most people remember the Cavies and understand the activity now versus what it was back in the 70's and 80's.

I think what people need to realize was that DCI back in the 70's and 80's was a regional activity. IMO, that makes winning the whole enchilada that much more impressive. Why? Because nobody back then all met up at one place, because of the sure numbers of it (that's my guess) and just the mindset of the activity as a whole. I think in the 80's, when the "Preview of Champions" regional came about, it was the first time I could remember where all the corps (and maybe not even all of them) met before Championship week.

So why does that make it harder? Well, you really didn't have a true measuring stick to compare yourselves against all the corps like you do today. So it was much more wide open back then, than it is today. Plus, the judging system was different, with the "tic" system in place. More volatility was possible, in the results.

I remember during the 80's, when the PBS broadcast would come on the air, Rondo would have the map of the USA on the TV screen and he would kind of inform the viewers how the corps got here and give you an idea of how the competition was going during the summer leading up to Finals. He would place a star on the map of each corps who won a regional and where they won at (i.e DCI Mid America, DCI Preview of Champions,etc...). That was pretty much all you had to go off of, when you try to take into account all the corps, when placing your prediction.

Ok. That was my tangent to the point I was making.

Although Reading has faced several capable contenders , the level of said contenders is nowhere near that of the DCI corps both in numbers of high level corps and number of competitions the DCI corps have faced them in

Prior to Reading's run, DCA was FAR more competitive than DCI has been. More DCA corps had a viable shot, with the several different corps winning between Brigs' streak anding and Reading's beginning. Bucs have also done it for five (maybe six) consecutive years with distinctly different groups of members.

Granted, since the streak started they have greatly outdistanced the field (don't let the close championships spreads fool you). Clearly they are doing everything right. Oh yea, and they do it on weekends only.

The old "DCA doesn't count" elitism is really tired. The 2005-2010 streak is just as, if not more impressive than any in DCI.