State of drum corps manifesto

Having multiple degrees and teaching collage has nothing do to with artistic taste. Didn’t you learn anything in collage? Perhaps you are technically trained to some degree regarding the nuts and bolts however that in no way “certifies” your taste. Please get of that high horse and give us a break

[snip]

Enjoy your civil war reenactment weekend. Drum Corps will be just fine

Reading comp FAIL

He was responding to the argument that current DCI shows, due to increasingly esoteric music and visual design, have become more appealing to music major types, but that we have lost the Joe Sixpack fan.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, switching to Bb can be directly related into CHANGING drum corps into what it is today. To say it didn't affect drum corps and the product today in any way for the last 10 year IMHO is ridiculous to the nth power. It was BY FAR a defining moment, warned about, that changed the sound of drum corps.

You can point at all sorts of changes going back decades and say they "can be directly related into CHANGING drum corps into what it is today."

It might just as well be said that adding the contra broadened the range of what horn lines could produce, and THAT made a larger difference than changing the key, esp as there were Bb horns, though rare, in the 50's (e.g. Scout House).

You can point at all sorts of changes going back decades and say they "can be directly related into CHANGING drum corps into what it is today."

It might just as well be said that adding the contra broadened the range of what horn lines could produce, and THAT made a larger difference than changing the key, esp as there were Bb horns, though rare, in the 50's (e.g. Scout House).

So you agree with me, notwithstanding reading and context issues, got it. :rolleyes: I could go on a diatribe on overtone series but I don't want to bore the masses. Are you say MikeD that changing from G to Bb had NOTHING to do with the way modern drum corps sound as it relates to what I was responding to in the post?

Two quick things as the OD on this topic.....1) I'm glad it has spurred such lively debate...that's always good if change is ever going to occur and I respect everyone's POV. 2) I think I'm finished with my side of the argument and recieved enough info in response to satisfy me. It has been OVERWHELMINGLY in support of my POV, so I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one.

For those that mentioned that DCP is a "running joke" among members and staff of current drum corps...I'll give you a few straight up stats from messages sent to me via this topic: 3 current staff members from 3 separate top 12 corps messaged me to tell me I was "spot on", 5 current members from 3 current top 12 messaged me that they agrred with me, and 32 alumni representing more corps than I actually counted (just didn't want to has this one out) wrote in support of the manifesto.

I would appear that DCP, or perhaps just this topic, isn't such a "running joke".

DW

Having multiple degrees and teaching collage has nothing do to with artistic taste.

Teaching collage may help refine one's appreciation for the visual arts, such as painting and lithography, but I agree that it probably wouldn't do anything for the musical arts. :rolleyes:

Teaching collage may help refine one's appreciation for the visual arts, such as painting and lithography, but I agree that it probably wouldn't do anything for the musical arts. :rolleyes:

I see this in here. I am pretty sure that one member was stating because he had a music degree he had a greater appreciation and another stating THEIR credentials saying the opposite.

Two quick things as the OD on this topic.....1) I'm glad it has spurred such lively debate...that's always good if change is ever going to occur and I respect everyone's POV. 2) I think I'm finished with my side of the argument and recieved enough info in response to satisfy me. It has been OVERWHELMINGLY in support of my POV, so I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one.

For those that mentioned that DCP is a "running joke" among members and staff of current drum corps...I'll give you a few straight up stats from messages sent to me via this topic: 3 current staff members from 3 separate top 12 corps messaged me to tell me I was "spot on", 5 current members from 3 current top 12 messaged me that they agrred with me, and 32 alumni representing more corps than I actually counted (just didn't want to has this one out) wrote in support of the manifesto.

I would appear that DCP, or perhaps just this topic, isn't such a "running joke".

DW

:rolleyes:

I see this in here. I am pretty sure that one member was stating because he had a music degree he had a greater appreciation and another stating THEIR credentials saying the opposite.

Yes, but I'm still not sure how a visual art form like collage has any bearing on music appreciation...

Having multiple degrees and teaching collage has nothing do to with artistic taste. Didn’t you learn anything in collage? Perhaps you are technically trained to some degree regarding the nuts and bolts however that in no way “certifies” your taste. Please get of that high horse and give us a break

Because you hang out with “Friends” that all agree with you just means you have boring friends. The truth is, your old, you losing your hearing, and you think designers should write for your taste. How F&*^ing arrogant.

If drum corps is no longer good for you, find something else to do. You and others like you will NEVER have any real impact on where the activity goes. NEVER. It aint gonna happen and you should save yourself the frustration. You and the other “Drum Corps is Falling crowd” need to wake up, look around and find some other activity that NEVR changes. Maybe you could join one of those groups that reenact the civil war every weekend end. If you haven’t noticed many many many fans are digging what is going on. They tend to be younger and are more important to Drum Corps. They will be around much longer that the sad old farts that marched in the 60 and 70”s.

Let the members do there thing. Corps today are 3 times as talented as when you marched (if you marched). The things that are happening on the field today would have been considered impossible back in the day.

Are all the shows artistically outstanding NO they were not all outstanding 20 or 30 years ago. The designers come up with the music program and concept, teach it clean it and improve it. Do they always create a Rembrandt, No but that’s art. There is and have been (too many to mention) programs that have been artistically outstanding but you are too busy #####ing to notice.

You may be educated however you mind is shut to anything new that doest fit your narrow definition (understanding) of art.

Since this diatribe was addressed to me, I feel I should respond. Then again, why bother? Anything I could say would obviously be lost on someone who mocks my education yet, in the very same sentence, misspells "college."

Sincerely,

Robert E. Lee

Edited by ChicagoFan

Having multiple degrees and teaching collage has nothing do to with artistic taste. Didn't you learn anything in collage? Perhaps you are technically trained to some degree regarding the nuts and bolts however that in no way "certifies" your taste. Please get of that high horse and give us a break

Because you hang out with "Friends" that all agree with you just means you have boring friends. The truth is, your old, you losing your hearing, and you think designers should write for your taste. How F&*^ing arrogant.

If drum corps is no longer good for you, find something else to do. You and others like you will NEVER have any real impact on where the activity goes. NEVER. It aint gonna happen and you should save yourself the frustration. You and the other "Drum Corps is Falling crowd" need to wake up, look around and find some other activity that NEVR changes. Maybe you could join one of those groups that reenact the civil war every weekend end. If you haven't noticed many many many fans are digging what is going on. They tend to be younger and are more important to Drum Corps. They will be around much longer that the sad old farts that marched in the 60 and 70"s.

Let the members do there thing. Corps today are 3 times as talented as when you marched (if you marched). The things that are happening on the field today would have been considered impossible back in the day.

Are all the shows artistically outstanding NO they were not all outstanding 20 or 30 years ago. The designers come up with the music program and concept, teach it clean it and improve it. Do they always create a Rembrandt, No but that's art. There is and have been (too many to mention) programs that have been artistically outstanding but you are too busy #####ing to notice.

You may be educated however you mind is shut to anything new that doest fit your narrow definition (understanding) of art.

we're told drum corps is hurting for fans...and in turn money.

this does nothing but push MORE people away and cause the problem to grow worse