State of drum corps manifesto

SNIP...everyone can read Darren's full,well-written text in the OP.

Only one quibble with your text, Darren: You can't have something "rammed down your throat" in a free market system...because you can still say "No, thank you." Even with all of the media blitz, hyper-marketing and constant drones, the consumer can still say "No." It's the other marketing systems that we need to worry about, when we're not allowed to say "no" anymore, b/c an ever-expanding government has deemed XYZ as mandatory (through more and/or higher taxes, and reduced choice through regulation)

OK, now on to the drum corps. I bought 12 VIP tickets for the Akron show, and 11 of my family members were there with me. It was the first show for three of them, and the 2nd or 3rd show for the rest. (This year and last).

Ages were: 16,31, 4 in their 40s, 2 in 50s, 3 in 70s.

Musically inclined family, and very artistic otherwise. (Teachers, Project Managers, most with college degrees)

Per Darren's thoughts above (which I have felt before), I was nervous about this show. I was so afraid they were all going to hate it, especially since I'm considered an insider, and I pumped it up as the best thing going in NE Ohio in July.

I'm happy to report that every single one of them "get it." They all enjoyed the show, and were blown away by the variety and the excellence. When Spirit came out and made their first hit, everyone in my group just looked at each other and smiled. I knew it was going to be a good night.

Between Spirit and Madison, we were chatting, and everyone was asking me "Are the rest of the corps going to be as good as that?" I just said "if you mean will they score higher? Yes...but make up your own mind on what you think is better!"

Then Madison came on...you can see the smile of anticipation on my groups' faces. They could tell just by the size of Madison (19 tubas! Spirit had 10!), and the crowd's reaction, etc, that something special was taking place. OK, first hit...WOW!

(enough play by play...I'll get to the synopsis now)

When it was all over, I asked them if they'd pay $30 for that? They all said DEFINITELY.

They were in complete awe of the following:

-) How hard the membership must work

-) The talent of the membership

-) The performance of the membership

-) The talent of the designers (esp drill writers)

-) The logistics of the operation (It was cool to see all of the buses in Lot 9 from our seats, lol)

-) The seemingly infinite variety from corps to corps, and within one show. (exception: Madison...they thought Madison was the same the entire show, to which I said "bingo!")

-) The difficult jobs of the judges (esp after seeing them run for their lives on the field)

Their favorites ran the entire gamut, from Spirit to Bloo. Everyone had something positive to say about each show. Most had strong opinions (duh, my family, lol) about what they didn't like too!

There seemed to be a consensus that electronics was akin to "cheating," and they called out the corps who used it overbearingly (Madison most notably) My 73 yr old dad liked the cool effects from the synths, but hated the doubling aspects. His comment was "This is outdoors. I don't expect it to sound like a theater, so why do they insist on trying?" He saw finals last year too...Am I a chip off the old block or what?;)

Everyone agreed that Madison was "more familiar" and they understood why every corps after them beat them! (level of difficult/variety/excellence)

My point to Darren is this: Maybe the "average fan" is lost in today's drum corps. But if a person has any artistic sense whatsoever, and appreciates the work that goes into this activity, they will LOVE THESE SHOWS. Personally, I'm glad that corps of today strive for new levels of abstraction. I can only take F Sequence for so long...isn't 30 years enough?

We insiders get so caught up in all of the history, the changes, the rivalries, the traditions,etc, that we forget to step back and think "Hmm, maybe a different way is OK sometimes. Maybe there IS an audience for this after all."

My familys' minds were more open than my own. I LEARNED MORE FROM THEM THIS WEEKEND THAN THEY LEARNED FROM ME, THE INSIDER.

Yes, they had an advantage b/c they had me pumping everything up, answering all of their questions and explaining rules and traditions. I felt like I was "passing down" this art to them. Everyone of them will be going to another show, even though they all live elsewhere! (Allentown, Indy, Atlanta, Massilon)

Drum corps is in fine shape. But we have to take an active, evangelistic role. Don't give in Darren! We need you now, more than ever!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not...you actually have supported my point...and the 2010 Madison group struggles due to YOUTH of the membership and nothing more...since you seem to be unaware of the staff that they currently have and that these are some quientiessential figures in DCI...or do you not know the names Mason, PRIME or Van Doren...anyway...my point isnt the individual musicianship...regarding SOLO and ENSEMBLE...the vehicle that drives this engine happens to be the actual Corps on field performance, not S/E last time i checked...and for that the individual membership has little say in anything to do with the drill design, music or artistic design(you show up they give you the music, drill and horn)...Solo and Ensemble is merely a side show attraction...and a great aspect of DCI something I enjoyed extremely having seen the original onset of S/E and I will put any member of Devs SCV Madison and any of the musicians from any Corps from that era up against anyone today and I think they would do just as well on an individual level...and yes I love Madison 2010 but they are no Madison 83...again...you have validatd my point...the quality of musicianship to increase membership hasn't changed based on the changes made and implemented by DCI...there is just a different vehicle to use...if these changes were to influence the numbers of membership so much then we should have more corps and membership...in all actuality we now have less...but that is due to many different factors beyond mere membership...

As a side note...WATCH what happens this year when Star of Indiana takes the field...and I bet you...I just bet you if the Corps in it's entirety were still around today...LOOKOUT...cause they mean business(and no I don't consider Crown to Truly be Star)...Star of Indiana and or Star United...no they aren't professionals paid musicians I have heard people declare..and yes they did have mostly music majors as I remember...yes they are very talented and yes...they choose music that moves you...arrangements that you will remember and adore and they play their friggin arses off...mark my word...you are going to see why...to me what was is definately different and what's lacking in DCI today...and that will be without major drill moves.

PS: I will agree the shows are more like WGI shows and thats because the designers are mostly all from the WGI arena and many judges are also.

I tell my kids that appreciation is recognition of the worth of something, but that like is a feeling of wanting to experience more of the same or of similar. (I explain that I appreciate country music, but that I do not like it.)

I appreciate the amazing talents of the current corps' kids, and I appreciate the abilities of the designers...but I don't like much of what I see or hear. Particularly hear...I have had no desire to listen to the entire top 12 for a LONG time...a few corps shows stand out (2006-2008 PR, 2008 CC...uhh...that's really about it for recent years), but I just don't like many of the shows these days as musical performances, so I don't seek out any more.

I am bothered by the WGI-ification of the activity, but I'm still of the vein that the activity originated as a musical experience that has added visual components...when he visual component has become the driving force, well then, I'm just too interested in shows that stay in my head as musical experiences...ones I like.

The best example I can think of from my personal experiences came in 2003...the biggest audience reaction of the night at Finals came for PR...because they forced the audience to stand out of sheer gut reaction...no appreciation there until after you realized that were you standing and had no recollection of doing so...just like when I saw Vanguard in 1986 and knew I had to march drum corps so that I could do that to people...

Anyway, I have been spending my money on stuff that I like, and I wish the kids in the activity all the best.

As a side note...WATCH what happens this year when Star of Indiana takes the field...and I bet you...I just bet you if the Corps in it's entirety were still around today...LOOKOUT...cause they mean business(and no I don't consider Crown to Truly be Star)...Star of Indiana and or Star United...no they aren't professionals paid musicians I have heard people declare..and yes they did have mostly music majors as I remember...yes they are very talented and yes...they choose music that moves you...arrangements that you will remember and adore and they play their friggin arses off...mark my word...you are going to see why...to me what was is definately different and what's lacking in DCI today...and that will be without major drill moves.

Up until about 1992, there were hornline members in Star that could not read music (and many woodwind transfers)...but the Donnie technique stuff created hornlines, not soloists, so Star sounded as it did.

Come see us perform after semis are over...we're a little bit excited to play one last time... :tongue:

I tell my kids that appreciation is recognition of the worth of something, but that like is a feeling of wanting to experience more of the same or of similar. (I explain that I appreciate country music, but that I do not like it.)

I appreciate the amazing talents of the current corps' kids, and I appreciate the abilities of the designers...but I don't like much of what I see or hear. Particularly hear...I have had no desire to listen to the entire top 12 for a LONG time...a few corps shows stand out (2006-2008 PR, 2008 CC...uhh...that's really about it for recent years), but I just don't like many of the shows these days as musical performances, so I don't seek out any more.

I am bothered by the WGI-ification of the activity, but I'm still of the vein that the activity originated as a musical experience that has added visual components...when he visual component has become the driving force, well then, I'm just too interested in shows that stay in my head as musical experiences...ones I like.

The best example I can think of from my personal experiences came in 2003...the biggest audience reaction of the night at Finals came for PR...because they forced the audience to stand out of sheer gut reaction...no appreciation there until after you realized that were you standing and had no recollection of doing so...just like when I saw Vanguard in 1986 and knew I had to march drum corps so that I could do that to people...

Anyway, I have been spending my money on stuff that I like, and I wish the kids in the activity all the best.

bravo

Wow, BD is really taking the heat off Hopkins this year.............

Very well said! You do speak for a lot of people. The majority of the audience these days are from the 70's-80's Drum Corps era. What would happen if we all couldn't take it anymore,and stopped paying the money to attend these shows? Look at what has happened in Canada. A country that,in the 80's had 2-3 competitive Drum Corps per CITY,has dwindled down to a choice few,who are fighting to stay alive. We can blame it on fuel costs,travel costs and the economy,but Canada doesn't have the marching band music education like the U.S. therefore the activity that we all LOVE just can't keep up with the "new curriculum" of Drum Corps today. Sad ,but true. The other day,my husband was watching a u tube clip,that I could hear but not see. I thought he was watching a marching band halftime show.It just does not sound like Drum Corps. I know it's probably too late, but lets just get back to some "Good Old" in your face Drum Corps!! :tongue:

Does anybody know the link to Hoppy's blog? I would LOVE to know how he's feeling...

http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hopblog

interesting thoughts

Greetings all!

I've been a long-time fan and veteran; however, I haven't been to a show in awhile until the Akron show. In general, I was very pleased w/ how 'the activity' is succeeding, w/ a couple of things that bugged me.

First off, I'll put it out there and leave it...I prefer G instruments. I also would like to see better technical excellence in the marching at the expense of some of the difficulty. There was A LOT of phasing and nebulous forms.

Second, I will admit that most of the A&E was acceptable, although some corps were overboard, and I see no reason for any brass player to play a solo into a mike.

Finally, can someone tell me what the deal is with making announcements AFTER the corps has started? It sounds like halftime at a high school football game: "Come back with us to the glory days of yesteryear as the Marching Rams perform 'The Twist'!"

Greg