Open Class Predictions

I love how threads on DCP start as one thing, and end as another.

Anyway, go Raiders!

Yea, me too. It happens all the time. :thumbup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue for BDB is, do they want to finish 1st each year or fall to the low middle area of World Class. I think they are ready to try World Class. I'm not sure they're pushing as hard this year since there really is not much competition at Indy Finals...and last year they were pushing like crazy for their first championship. SCVC is not going to Indy this year, Teal Sound moved up, Citations dropped out (the 2nd, 3rd, 4th place corps last year. BDB would have ranked about 14th place in world class last year - their show design was fantastic, better than this year's, by the way. They would very probably beat Teal Sound and Jersey Surf, so place them at least around 18 or so this year world class. I think they're going to need the move to world class to stay motivated and hungry in coming years...their goal would be to make the final 12, like Troopers last year.

I have a couple of issues, but one BIG one is that BDB has won exactly 1 title. Who knows what the future will bring, but corps tend to ebb and flow a bit over the years.

So this may have already been answered........ but why isn't SCVC going to Indy?

I volunteered with SCVC in El Paso and Odessa. One of touring parents said it had to do with a change in their school calendar. School starts for them the week of DCI finals. This should also remind us of one of the differences in memberships to world vs. open class corps. Many open class corps consist mainly of high school aged students unlike world class corps members who are mostly in college and have access to a more flexible touring calendar.

It has been policy with SCV that the Cadets go to finals every other year. I can’t see the day that either BDB or SCVC “move up” since neither organization wants to compete with themselves. Too bad the best WC corps won't be at finals!

Not sure that I can support that "best" comment, But they have won 3 times in 2 years, I would like to see them at finals.

I think it is a bigger shame that DCI did not see fit to send a full judging staff to either the Corona or the Paramount show. Sort of makes you wonder how important DCI should be to the open class corps.

The issue for BDB is, do they want to finish 1st each year or fall to the low middle area of World Class. I think they are ready to try World Class. I'm not sure they're pushing as hard this year since there really is not much competition at Indy Finals...and last year they were pushing like crazy for their first championship. SCVC is not going to Indy this year, Teal Sound moved up, Citations dropped out (the 2nd, 3rd, 4th place corps last year. BDB would have ranked about 14th place in world class last year - their show design was fantastic, better than this year's, by the way. They would very probably beat Teal Sound and Jersey Surf, so place them at least around 18 or so this year world class. I think they're going to need the move to world class to stay motivated and hungry in coming years...their goal would be to make the final 12, like Troopers last year.

I'm guessing from your "blue4ever" name that you have a connection to the BD organization. Beyond having two sons who marched with the A corps and a daughter who works with the B corps I have none and have never had any connection besides competing against them, usually in vain. I think though that you're missing a point - which is that the issue for BDB is not where they compete or where they finish - it's whatever the BD organization says it is. Their focus, it seems to me, is less about conquering the world, and more about offering a Blue Devil quality experience to kids who for a variety of reasons, either do not wish to do the World Class experience at this time, or don't wish to be anywhere but with BDB. Kids age out of BDB. There are 16 year old kids there who have spent 10 years in the BD organization already. In short, the issue, as you put it, seems to have nothing at all to do with winning Open Class or where they might finish in World Class. It seems to be to provide the BD experience, in this case as administered by members of the Odello family, the virtual "first family" of the BD legacy. I think it would be a mistake for any of us to decide what's in that corps best interest. They seem to have that covered, and covered pretty well. As to their effect on other Open Class corps, they stand as a light-tower - as do the Vanguard Cadets - a goal to aim for. One thing to remember is that with few exceptions, BDB and SCVC are not, like their World Class counterparts, made up of the most talented kids from all over the country. These are essentially home grown organizations saying to the other Open Class corps - we did this - see what you can do. Not a bad model.

Edited by rayfallon

Ray, having been a long time supporter of the BD organization and BDB in particular, you are spot on in your remarks. Rick and his team work exceptionally hard to put this corps on the field and do it at the level of quality fans (and competitors) have come to expect. This is also true of the Vanguard Cadets and their organization.

Again, Ray, thank you for the well said comments on two fine organizations in their own right!

Michael

Ray -- a beautiful post.

absolutely...the first time I took my son to Mars, we met with Rick Odello. I was ready to hear about 'winning' and 'championships'...but what I got instead was a conversation about 'life lessons' and (his hope that my son would recieve) "a wonderful experience" that he would remember the rest of his life.

This was NOT at all what I expected from the blue devil organization, but it's exactly what happened. Kudos to Rick and BDB.

Cali.

Edited by Calistar