DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun.

Honestly, the title of this thread...

"DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun"

Is quite off-putting to me.

Is the OP saying that, somehow, the DCA executive committee has met in secret and decided that certain corps will be judged certain ways?

Or that a group of DCA judges has gotten together and decided, as a group, how corps should be judged and which numbers should be handed out in various captions?

Because either of the above scenarios would call into question the integrity of not only a lot of good people, but the entire judging system as it is currently structured.

I guess my point is..... if you're going to make a blanket statement along the lines of "DCA has decided...." or "DCA wants things to happen this way..." then it would be really nice for you to provide some shred of positive, credible proof that somehow, DCA officials and judges are engaged in a massive co-conspiracy to determine the outcome of shows in advance.

And absent that proof, I'd suggest that you just shut up and sit down. :thumbup:

I believe if DCA were in on some conspiracy, they wouldn't have Buccaneers winning 6 years in a row. That is turning people off, obviously DCA doesn't want that in their activity.

Tinfoil hats off please!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh..... in the "some things apparently never change" category, it's been interesting to read the comments about the lack of audience reaction for the shows at Lewisburg.

1979 Sunrisers... we were doing a really good show at the Lewisburg contest that year... one of those jobs when you just KNEW you were doing a good show....I mean, we were hitting on all cylinders that night. And the crowd basically sat there and stared at us. LOL.

Stuff happens.

IMO, every year I have been there since the show started back up, the BEST crowd reaction....easily...was Cabs Alumni

IMO, every year I have been there since the show started back up, the BEST crowd reaction....easily...was Cabs Alumni

I went a few years ago, and that was definitely the case that night. Cabs Alumni own that show.

Jeff said:

"IMO, every year I have been there since the show started back up, the BEST crowd reaction....easily...was Cabs Alumni"

Thanks, Jeff. I believe we continued that streak this year. The new YouTube clips from Saturday's show seem to bear this out.

:thumbup:

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

I agree with the opening post about Bucs shows being rehashed dci shows

I rarely feel the need to jump in and contradict any of the things I read on here, but this cannot stand. If you think the Bucs shows for the past few years are a re-hash of DCI shows just because some of the music is from the same sources, then clearly you either haven't seen the Bucs shows in question, haven't seen the DCI shows in question, or.... something.

As you see from my sig block, I marched 2005 and 2006. Both years, when they announced the repertoire in the fall, I thought, "Uh oh... everyone is going to say that we're copying ___ ...." Both of those years and every year since, I have been impressed by the Bucs design team's ability to separate their concepts and presentation dramatically from anything previously put on the field by another corps. It is a very conscious effort, and I think they have succeeded time after time.

Nobody ever accused Star of Indiana of rehashing Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, despite the fact that they recorded Pines of Rome and Festivals of Rome in 1977. If nobody ever played music that had been played before, the number of live musical performances in this world would be greatly diminished to everyone's detriment.

I rarely feel the need to jump in and contradict any of the things I read on here, but this cannot stand. If you think the Bucs shows for the past few years are a re-hash of DCI shows just because some of the music is from the same sources, then clearly you either haven't seen the Bucs shows in question, haven't seen the DCI shows in question, or.... something.

As you see from my sig block, I marched 2005 and 2006. Both years, when they announced the repertoire in the fall, I thought, "Uh oh... everyone is going to say that we're copying ___ ...." Both of those years and every year since, I have been impressed by the Bucs design team's ability to separate their concepts and presentation dramatically from anything previously put on the field by another corps. It is a very conscious effort, and I think they have succeeded time after time.

Nobody ever accused Star of Indiana of rehashing Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, despite the fact that they recorded Pines of Rome and Festivals of Rome in 1977. If nobody ever played music that had been played before, the number of live musical performances in this world would be greatly diminished to everyone's detriment.

Agreed. And what is wrong with borrowing from a show concept that has been a proven winner, and building a program around it? Not to mention the fact that when a senior corps emulates a show that has been proven successful in DCI, they run the risk of being measured against that program if they are unable to pull it off. Bucs design team not only manages to pick winning formula to emulate, but the visual/music techs and membership are able to make it work on the field.

and even if Bucs were doing something from DCI so what? DCI copies alot of band programs and winter guard shows. At least bucs arent rehashing alot of the same ole same ole that others do. How many corps in DCA have rehashed the same ole tired music, how many times can we rehash a patriotic show, how many shows still try to fit in a signature piece of music. To each his own. BUT DONT apologize for being good. Funny how people are for you 1st win out everyones for you 2nd time WOW what a run, after that people start to hate just because you can maintain a degree of excellence.

Corps may have stepped up their game this year and may be better in some peoples opinion BUT that doesnt mean Bucs havent. Wanting someone else to win just because is crazy and a true winner wantes to beat Bucs at their best not just because its someone elses turn. Same argument as Blue Devils. And NO im not a member if Bucs and never have been...lol

and even if Bucs were doing something from DCI so what? DCI copies alot of band programs and winter guard shows. At least bucs arent rehashing alot of the same ole same ole that others do. How many corps in DCA have rehashed the same ole tired music, how many times can we rehash a patriotic show, how many shows still try to fit in a signature piece of music. To each his own. BUT DONT apologize for being good. Funny how people are for you 1st win out everyones for you 2nd time WOW what a run, after that people start to hate just because you can maintain a degree of excellence.

Corps may have stepped up their game this year and may be better in some peoples opinion BUT that doesnt mean Bucs havent. Wanting someone else to win just because is crazy and a true winner wantes to beat Bucs at their best not just because its someone elses turn. Same argument as Blue Devils. And NO im not a member if Bucs and never have been...lol

Full Edit

Quick Edit

Full Edit

Quick Edit

OOPS SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST UGHHHHHHHH

Honestly, the title of this thread...

"DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun"

I guess my point is..... if you're going to make a blanket statement along the lines of "DCA has decided...." or "DCA wants things to happen this way..." then it would be really nice for you to provide some shred of positive, credible proof that somehow, DCA officials and judges are engaged in a massive co-conspiracy to determine the outcome of shows in advance.

And absent that proof, I'd suggest that you just shut up and sit down. :thumbup:

Amen, Fran. I think that, during this streak, the Princes of Pretzeltown have consistently put some of the finest dc shows on the field--any league, any circuit.

You wanna piece of that? Better bring some heavy artillery.

And, unlike most of this august group, I don't care who wins!