Blue Knights penalized 8.6 points.

This is one of the biggest lateness penalties I've seen for a DCI show since the Anaheim Kingsmen were assessed a 13-point penalty at the 1973 U.S. Open, for being one day late at prelims. The Kingsmen had been delayed by a huge traffic accident (not involving the corps) in Ohio. Luckily they were good enough to still make finals, and they came back to win the whole thing.

This is one of the biggest lateness penalties I've seen for a DCI show since the Anaheim Kingsmen were assessed a 13-point penalty at the 1973 U.S. Open, for being one day late at prelims. The Kingsmen had been delayed by a huge traffic accident (not involving the corps) in Ohio. Luckily they were good enough to still make finals, and they came back to win the whole thing.

Was that '73??!! Good golly, I was there.

Where has the time gone??

Was that the finals that was rained out and PR did the standstill in the downpour?

Or was that '74??

In 1976, the 27th Lancers truck broke down enroute to the Wheeling Illinois show and they borrowed our (Cavaliers) drums. 25 years later I mentioned it to a friend of mine who marched in Norwood Park Imperials (they hated us) who was in the stands for that show. He told me he and his buddies were up in the stands joking that that's the best those drums would ever sound! :thumbup:

I remember that show. Yes we were very late and when we finally arrived we didn't have time for much of anything other than putting on the uniform and running to the starting line. You don't put on a 27th Lancer uniform quickly with all the little things we had to attach. The audience did greet us with a warm applause even though they had been waiting.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Was that '73??!! Good golly, I was there.

Where has the time gone??

Was that the finals that was rained out and PR did the standstill in the downpour?

Or was that '74??

I think this was the penalty where another corps travelling with AK was fortunate enough to have an exit available off the interstate and made it to prelims on time. That was an important factor in the size of the AK penalty, if my memory serves.

I remember the discussion at the time, and it's a good thing DCP was not available during THAT bru-ha-ha!

8.6 Penalty is a total absurdity then again Brandt Crocker is a jerk anyway so what would you expect. DCI claims they are all about the 'kids' - yeah right. years ago - outside of state or national shows - if a corp was running late - they usually just shifted them and assessed a 2 pointer. Achison needs to wake up and focus less on his own compensation ( way over paid ) and more about the realities that trucks and buses do break down.

8.6 Penalty is a total absurdity then again Brandt Crocker is a jerk anyway so what would you expect. DCI claims they are all about the 'kids' - yeah right. years ago - outside of state or national shows - if a corp was running late - they usually just shifted them and assessed a 2 pointer. Achison needs to wake up and focus less on his own compensation ( way over paid ) and more about the realities that trucks and buses do break down.

Oh for crying out loud, add the penalty to their score and there you go. Thats where they placed. It's not like it was DCI finals or something.

Folks calm down. It is probably a mistype in entering the data. The people who reported the scores FROM THE EVENT last night did not include the penalty.

WOW!

Btw, Acheson doesn't make the rules nor does he enforce them when it comes to penalties at a competition. He operates the org on the business end. And what does Brandt have to do with a penalty? The man is an announcer and has only been an announcer for DCI for 25 years or so (maybe more ... I don't know).

The rule is the rule agreed upon by the DCI BoD, the rules committee and the final vote by all DCI corps directors. If you want to blame anyone, it should be them. I think the penalty stinks, but this is just a good case to investigate during the off season to find a way to add amendments to the rule so a near 9 pt penalty doesn't happen again when a truck breaks down.

Again......

WOW ............. and shame on you

You seem to sputter this like it were fact. It is not. In an emergency, corps still share instruments, podiums, etc., just like always. There are no music manufacturer police. Conspiracy theories....jeesh.

I'll gladly stand corrected and apologize for sputtering. I believe I did preface the statement adequately considering I don't have a copy of the corps' contract readily available. Perhaps you do. Also, didn't intend to create any conspiracy theories, just making a comment -- and not quite sure how you reached that conclusion.

I have been contacted by a corps in recent years and reprimanded for posting a photograph of a corps member at a rehearsal testing an instrument different from the manufacturer they were officially utilizing -- which I though odd considering the performer wasn't even in the corps uniform. The corps informed me that it would have breached their contract with the manufacturer.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the connection.

Glad to know you are here with all of the knowledge!

RULES ARE RULES....plain and simple :thumbup: