Your thoughts on the current top five . . .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite show out of the top 5 so far is the Cadets. Great melodic content, nice implied,

but not overdone storyline...awesome visual, great drum book. I feel they have a chance at

the title, but it will be difficult for anyone to knock off the Blue Devils...still, if anyone

can do it, I think the Cadets have the best shot.

As far as BD, musically, I don't care for most of their show, but there are some nice impactfull moments.

That said, their brass is as strong as ever from an execution standpoint. Their drums are

solid, but their guard, GE and visual is where they are head and shoulders above

everyone else at this point. They have a near perfect conceptual show that is being executed

at a near perfect level, so they will prove to be very hard to beat.

I haven't seen Bluecoats or Crown, so I won't comment on their chances of winning,

but I would love to see either of them win. It would be very cool indeed if we could

crown the first new Champion since 1996!

I enjoy the Cavaliers show and like others, feel that there's a ton they can add

and change before the end of the season and take the title. They certainly have

the horses to pull it off. And they have been known to be able to clean things in a hurry

coming down the stretch. So I will call them the dark horse of 2010.

Can you expand on this, because I'm curious? I only ask because in my opinion, Bluecoats have just about the best guard integration I think I've ever seen. In fact, a good friend of mine, who is a percussionist and NEVER pays attention to the guard told me after the show that he just couldn't stop looking at them. Quote: "That's the best guard program I've ever seen."

To each their own, of course, but I wonder if you wouldn't mind expanding.

I'm a percussion person as well, not a guard person. I have my own biases. I've not seen this show live so a great deal can get lost from a monderate quality video but some of my issues have been with placement based on the brass and percussion. Some of what I noticed is left or right placement of the guard vice a frame stageing given the form the percussion or guard are in or moving to. Guard staging seemed out of place, transitions not fully integrated for effect or did add to other visual or musical effects. This is not universal throughout their show but somethings distracted me on the video. I'm guessing that I may feel different at a live showing...ill get that in a week or so at Atlanta. Honestly i hope Bluecoats rock. :laughing: I can give out a 2nd opinion after Atlanta if you want.

Me too, Tekk. I'm actually going to being most of these corps for the first time at Finals.

I'll scream your name from the stands (of course, since "Matt" is so common, you probably won't know I'm talking to you. :laughing:).

BD - I don't like this show.....at all. The mirrors are effective to a point but the show seems cluttered after about 1 minute. The music doesn't do it for me. The drumline is overrated IMO. Probably will end up on my top 5 shows to "dislike".

Cadets - sound pretty good but the show is a bit cheesy. The kid sound effects are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Drill is great at this point.

Cavies - only seen video but it looks to have the elements of a top 3 finish. I'm not a huge fan of the music.

Bluecoats - they were my pre season dark horse to win it all for the repertoire alone. Only seen video of them and they have an entertaining show. There are points in the show that annoy me though....excessive electronics and body movements. I hate to say it, but it's pushing a BOA type show.

Crown - love this hornline! Dropped my jaw many time for them. There are some lulls in the show though and they too have a lot of body movements just to get the points. March more.

*Phantom - Very elegant show and I think they can finish in the top 5. The hornline is awesome as always and the drumline is chocked full of goodness.

Blue Devils have an ok show. The mirror effects are really pretty cool but I dont really understand whats going on especcially with the brass book this year. Also, yet again they are choosing to run to their sets instead of marching a lot of the time so judging their marching has to be tricky.

I like Cadets show, its on of their more entertaining shows to me in the past few years, I think if they have a mind blowing but clean ending to tag on to this product they will be top 3 otherwise i think they will drop to 5th.

Im sorry but Crowns show is boring, the big hit right when "Carolina Crown" is announced is about the only time they can force some emotion into me other than that they need to march. The body movement can be cleaned easily. The lack of drill in this show is gonna hurt them, changes wont really help eather this late in the season.

Bluecoats have cool music...thats it, they will probably start peeking this week before San Antonio.

Like others have said I agree Cavaliers have the most room to grow, their show isnt that dirty anymore either. IF they are able to keep their pace going and clean, clean, clean, I easily see them in the top 3 again this year.

Can someone explain to me why most people are predicting the Bluecoats to start peaking? I have seen this statement on several threads and I just wondered. Is it because they have in the past so we assume it is going to happen again? People may think I am being a homer but I don't see it happening. I honestly believe this show has more to offer.

Can someone explain to me why most people are predicting the Bluecoats to start peaking? I have seen this statement on several threads and I just wondered. Is it because they have in the past so we assume it is going to happen again? People may think I am being a homer but I don't see it happening. I honestly believe this show has more to offer.

Primarily because it has happened before. We can't 100% say that will happen though. It's all speculation based on facts. I hope they don't peak.

Blue Devils- Could quite possibly be the best drum corps show I've ever seen. I love the musical selections and arrangement. They have a visually stunning show this year. The creativity and nuance of the "reflections" theme never ceases to amaze me. The execution is near flawless. Their guard is so freakishly talented across the spectrum (dance, equipment, acrobatics). I'm only slightly disappointed with the pit since I've definitely heard better (09 for example). But with a theme that provides endless possibilities, I'm surprised that they couldn't have thought of better flag designs.

The Cadets- Love this show! I really enjoy how the guard is in the corps uniform. My favorite part of the show is definitely "Overture to a School for Scandal." Beautiful rendition. The integration of characters in their show is genius.

Carolina Crown- Wonderful brass sound and gorgeous color palette. The gold horns, new uniforms (which have somewhat grown onme), and earth toned flags make this show a pleasure to watch. Great pre-show and outstanding opening impact. Danzon is amazing. I'm not a big fan of their musical selections, theme, or guard, but there are so many things that are to be enjoyed about this well crafted show.

The Bluecoats- I think this could contend for the title. I love their opening segment. Definitely one of the best Bluecoat horn lines I have heard in a while. I thought that I would hate "Asphalt Cocktail" since I've just heard it soooo many times already, but their rendition is by far the best I've heard on the field. Really great drill and visual program. I never noticed how great of a pit they have. I also think their new uniform additions look great.

The Cavaliers- My 2nd favorite show this year! Love their music, and theme. The all-rifle segment is probably one of my favorite moments on the field this year. Their guard is absolutely fantastic. Really love the Chaplin piece. The Cavies have a much more balanced sound than I've heard in the past. I'm just impressed with this show as a whole and really wish I could see it live before Indy. They keep me engaged throughout the entire show. Also, I like how they reversed the colors on the uniform sash. It definitely brings out the black more. Great show. I would be perfectly fine if they took home the title this year.

Just nice to see so much positive energy here.

Good to read.

IMHO some caption within Bluecoats has peaked early the last 4 years (06, 07, 08, and 09). '07 was near flameout, they peaked the week before finals and ran out of gas with the best hornline in DCI and top-2 percussion. One year is a fluke, 3 is a trend, 4...well you get the point. I dont want them to peak early, but I almost expect it to happen.

Come on Bloo, peak at finals so we can throw babies.

Edited by devsabre