Your favorite non-G7 shows this year

Yes, the G7 shows are all excellent this year, as usual, and it's fun to speculate on who's going to win and watch the scores shuffle around day to day and pick apart the exact reasons why one corps is scoring better than another. But one of my favorite parts of a new drum corps season is being impressed with, or surprised by, a lower-level corps that I didn't expect to enjoy quite so much.

I'll start with Teal Sound. When they marched out, I did not expect to enjoy it. Last year's show really turned me off, and seeing the guitars come out again was a major bummer. But the opener was awesome. The drill was impressive, the playing was tight, and the guitar was actually well-blended into the arrangement to the point that I enjoyed it being there despite myself. The rest of the show got sloppy (to be fair, this was the Normal show, probably was their first), and the guitar crept in more and more and they lost me. But that opener, wow!

Obviously Madison is on a roll this year. Great drill, great music, great arrangement, great guard, great soloists, and the audience loves it. But everyone pays attention to Madison...

But I have to say, the show I most enjoy watching and listening to this year is Blue Stars. WOW! I have appreciated their talent in recent years but the shows (eg, Factory, Tour de France) didn't really do it for me. But Houdini... the music couldn't be better--amazing arrangements of Glass and Adams: I don't think Adams has been done better in DCI (I had high hopes for the Cavs show last year but they barely made use of the Adams material) and I don't think this particular piece from Nixon in China has been done before (correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear other versions). I love love love the thematic guard work. But the mellos, OHMYGOD THE MELLOS. They are just incredible, and the arrangement shows them off to perfection. Thank you, Blue Stars! I'm now a major fan!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fav non G-7 shows this year.

Blue Stars

Madison

BK

Boston

Two of the G-7 shows do it for me this year, Coats and Cavies.

Boston Crusaders ( just added new closer this week )

Madison Scouts

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Glassmen

There are a few others too that I havn't heard yet that could be added to this list too.

Edited by BRASSO

Loved CC's stormworks in 95, Bluecoats 88-91...

Oh wait, you mean 'non-g7' corps. :laughing: