The truth.

Yes... actually, one of the first shows I worked was the "Dark Ages Invitational" at Stonehenge. :thumbdown:

i thought you did some shows at the roman colliseum? :worthy:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that organization that contracted with GSC to judge in '97 was gone by '03. Short-lived bunch for several reasons, Joe. I also would bet DCI or someone else got their fingers on it to try and absorb an assimilate it into the DCI structure more thoroughly.

Good to hear there are more of those corps still doing something, but that leaves about 6-7 that kind of went under with the circuit...

George, We (Sun) played Procession several years though the arrangement changed.... (I think we liked that tune.... :thumbdown: )

From corpsreps, Sun played Procession of the Nobles in 1969, 1970, 1973, 1976, 1994

Just heard Sun 72 earlier on Diceman Radio ... Procession was played Out of Concert ... haven't heard that show in a while ... lots of BS&T with a smattering of other things ...

:-)

i thought you did some shows at the roman colliseum? :thumbdown:

I don't go that far back... but I understand they had a pretty good PA system there! :worthy:

I don't go that far back... but I understand they had a pretty good PA system there! :ph34r:

yeah i guess you don't........we'll have to ask andy about the PA system........he should know :worthy: hey andyroo what say you??? :thumbdown:

we'll have to ask andy about the PA system........he should know :ph34r: hey andyroo what say you??? :thumbdown:

Fastball... down the middle of the plate.....

and Don hits it out of the park!!!! :worthy:

yeah i guess you don't........we'll have to ask andy about the PA system........he should know :worthy: hey andyroo what say you??? :thumbdown:

Of course the PA system was good!! It had to be, what with all them Christians screaming and lions roaring.

It was kinda tough competing there. The honor guards had to carry real sabers. And it was even worse for the judges; if the crowd didn't like where you placed corps X, the thumbs came down - and they meant it. DCE (Drum Corps Empire) had an awful time keeping their judges roster current.

It's funny, though, that the announcer for the first show in which I competed there - Mucus Flatulus Haringus by name - was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. And this was about eighteen hundred years before Hawaii was even discovered.

By the way, the Praetorian Guards won that show because they were Nero's favorite, and you didn't mess with Nero's favorite. I went on with St. Mary's - even though there wasn't a St. Mary at the time. We went on the field with one drum, two horns, and three in the color guard. The rest of the corps had been found to be christians and the lions were turned loose in the parking lot just before the show. I had been invited to join that Jewish corps - the Knights of Tel Aviv - but I felt that their initiation process was a wee bit extreme.

Anyway, buy me a beer in Rochester and I'll tell you all about The Garden of Eden Open. Oy!! What a show that was!!!

Anyway, buy me a beer in Rochester and I'll tell you all about The Garden of Eden Open. Oy!! What a show that was!!!

I've heard that the Genesis corps was particularly strong back then, with their "In The Beginning" theme show..... too bad their co-directors Cain and Abel had a nasty falling-out several years later!!!

Of course the PA system was good!! It had to be, what with all them Christians screaming and lions roaring.

It was kinda tough competing there. The honor guards had to carry real sabers. And it was even worse for the judges; if the crowd didn't like where you placed corps X, the thumbs came down - and they meant it. DCE (Drum Corps Empire) had an awful time keeping their judges roster current.

It's funny, though, that the announcer for the first show in which I competed there - Mucus Flatulus Haringus by name - was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. And this was about eighteen hundred years before Hawaii was even discovered.

By the way, the Praetorian Guards won that show because they were Nero's favorite, and you didn't mess with Nero's favorite. I went on with St. Mary's - even though there wasn't a St. Mary at the time. We went on the field with one drum, two horns, and three in the color guard. The rest of the corps had been found to be christians and the lions were turned loose in the parking lot just before the show. I had been invited to join that Jewish corps - the Knights of Tel Aviv - but I felt that their initiation process was a wee bit extreme.

now there is some great history.........thanks andy..........i'm sure the yougsters on here will learn something from the GLORY or should i say GORY years of drumcorps. :thumbdown:

now there is some great history.........thanks andy..........i'm sure the yougsters on here will learn something from the GLORY or should i say GORY years of drumcorps. :thumbdown:

All that you guys have experienced all those years, decades, ages, eons ago are all THE TRUTH!!!! :worthy: