The truth.

So I guess a BA in Music, MA in Education and half way through doctorate in education...I might make it!

ya better move closer...we don't pay to fly people in

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the first use of horns and drums in a marching setting was by guilds of artisans as far back as the 14th century.

One of the more well-known guilds back then was the "AndyRoo Guild." :tongue:

LOL

ya better move closer...we don't pay to fly people in

One of the more well-known guilds back then was the "AndyRoo Guild." :tongue:

I'm not surprised you'd remember that - since you were announcing our shows back then. :tongue:

Why is everyone in such a tizzy? I don't know who "Bando" is but I'm puzzled by some of the reactions here. I'm wondering if people actually read what the OP first posted.

Point by point, I'll respond only to that first post...

Your Point of Order #1: You seem to be simply calling out the Monday Morning Quarterbacks who think they know better than the judges. Point taken. I think others here have said the same thing.

You go on to say Reading did not have a "perfect" percussion show and was awarded the "perfect" score simply because of the need to open the gap with MBI. And you are defending that decision. Again, I think many others here have made the same argument. I don't have a problem with that.

Your Point of Order #2: All you seem to be saying is that people are rather foolish to claim the Bucs are "ruining DCA." I agree. And I'm pretty sure nearly everyone else here agrees with that.

Your Point of Order #3: Again, all you seem to be saying is that those who criticize Empire as cheesy should lighten up because each drum corps is unique. And again, I don't think anyone here should have a problem with that.

Your Point of Order #4: You are criticizing people who look down on DCA corps as simply "copying" other corps' shows. You do go on to point out the similarities with some other DCI shows. Well, point taken. There are similarities. I doubt any corps sets out to do that. Some music just lends itself to the drum corps treatment and I don't have a problem with that.

In summary, I guess I agree with you on those points.

So again, why are people so upset?

You kind of stole my thunder Ron. People have their panties in a bunch and didn't read the OPs full message or understand it. You made all my points Ron.

Oh...btw...During the Kalamazoo show on FN people got little annoyed with me.

Procession of the Nobles - Sunrisers Late 60s

March of the Tumblers - Buccs 1978

I could go back to DCI shows in the last 5 years and tell you which DCA corps did that music in the 60s or 70s. Point is musically very little is original.

George

I don't think people are having any issue with the points other than they are being thrown out as absolute truth. The real issue is the elitist know it all attitude that seems to be radiating from the OP.

My advice to the original poster; If you are going to say something controversial, you are going to #### people off. Don't come back and insult their intelligence. It makes you look like the ignorant one.

Okay, back to fantasy drum corps :thumbup:

You kind of stole my thunder Ron. People have their panties in a bunch and didn't read the OPs full message or understand it. You made all my points Ron.

Oh...btw...During the Kalamazoo show on FN people got little annoyed with me.

Procession of the Nobles - Sunrisers Late 60s

March of the Tumblers - Buccs 1978

I could go back to DCI shows in the last 5 years and tell you which DCA corps did that music in the 60s or 70s. Point is musically very little is original.

George

Ya know, every time I log in, I wait for a few seconds to see if I'm truly free... and yes I'M FREE....

The original poster made a lot of sense... he defended both Bucs AND Empire. You would think that would bring the thread to a screeching halt, but no... it actually opened up layers and layers of analysis that would make Leonardo Decaprio's character in Inception go "wait... what?"

The only thing I can add is on the topic of Empire "cheese"... The fact is that anyone who takes this SO seriously as to actually call Empire "cheese" would have to be so delusionally self important that they should be a food critic in Belfonte, PA.

Dirty little secret: Empire's cheesy parts are actually some of the most creative collections of tongue in cheek "inside baseball" hints and themes that it is flat out ingenious. Don't believe me? Listen to Empire 1993. I mean really listen to it. Or Empire 1991 (is that Theolonius Monk? But I thought you were cheese). More recently, Empire 2009 is a revolutionary game changing redefinition of the lexicon of "patriotic" field music ... if you're just looking for an excuse to dismiss Empire as "cheese," then there is a chance the joke is actually on you, and you weren't sophisticated enough to get it.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

The Truth

You can't Handle the truth.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We live in a world that has fields, and those fields have to be marched by men with sop's. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Bando? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves drum corps. I know deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you don't want me on that field, you need me on that field. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent marching drum corps, You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the sound I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a sop and stand your position on the field.. Either way, I don't give a #### what you think you are entitled to!

You can't Handle the truth.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We live in a world that has fields, and those fields have to be marched by men with sop's. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Bando? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves drum corps. I know deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you don't want me on that field, you need me on that field. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent marching drum corps, You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the sound I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a sop and stand your position on the field.. Either way, I don't give a #### what you think you are entitled to!

Now THIS is truely a creative rant! :thumbup: