Say something nice about a 2011 corps/show

Right, but under that logic, you could say that our Finals performance must have been worse than our Semis performance, as evidenced by our score dropping.

And I know that to not be correct.

Raw scores don't matter. Ordinals and spreads do.

Listen. I thought the Bluecoats were fantastic. I thought the the Bluestars were fantastic. Bluestars probably had the best mello line in DCI this last year and Bluecoats had some of the best soloist I have heard in years not to mention a very cohesive music ensemble. With that being said, I generally think that the judges get things right in the end. Sometimes we see some strange things early season or some weird stuff pop up in captions or sub-captions later on in the season, but in the end I think the judges tend to get it right.

My original response was to someone who gave the bluestars a compliment at the expense of the cavaliers. I disagreed with it and so did the judges all season long. That is all.

Might want to read what you're replying to before you actually reply. And yes, the Bluecoats definitely played better than the Cavaliers.

The judges usually get it right by finals night (with the exception of 2008 IMO)

The Cavaliers were using different kinds of tonal sequences that were new to dci.

the judges noticed noticed its difficulty and gave credit where its due.

as for bluecoats, who werent doing anything that hasnt been done before just executed their show well.

easy stuff, just performed well.

• Like 1

My original response was to someone who gave the bluestars a compliment at the expense of the cavaliers. I disagreed with it and so did the judges all season long. That is all.

......no. Read my original post that you responded to, buddy. YOU are the only one who said anything about the "bluestars".

...it's Blue Stars.

The judges usually get it right by finals night (with the exception of 2008 IMO)

The Cavaliers were using different kinds of tonal sequences that were new to dci.

as for bluecoats, who werent doing anything that hasnt been done before just executed their show well.

Wha?

This is a fact.

The Blue Devils have done the unthinkable and turned it into the most memorable of all time. I always say this is the show Star of Indiana would do after 1993, but I wonder what BD will do in 2011.

This is clearly the best executing corps of all time.

Well, someone thought of it. So clearly, it's not a fact that they did the unthinkable.

Everything about Cavaliers' Mad World this year was absolutely amazing. Every single aspect. I left the stadium that night not wanted to believe what just happened.

Crown's sound. 'Nuff said.

BlueCoats music this year was a very pleasant surprise. It's an awesome show, and, of course, THE CONTRAS. GOOD LAWD.

SCV's Bartok was also a great show.

Overall, EVERYONE had a great year this year. 2010 was SO MUCH BETTER than 2009.

Wish I could have seen some corps from the stands. That would have been nice in a year like this.

It didn't feel easy. But what do I know? I've just been doing this for a few years.

Though I do agree with you on your first point here. The judges do usually get it right by finals.

My nice thing to say: Most Cavaliers I've met are much more humble than this. I like them. They're a fun bunch of guys. They sounded really good this year from the various tunnels and sidelines from which I got to hear them, and I can't say I was surprised by the move finals week. And I don't need a different colored medal to make myself feel good about it.

But thanks anyway for expressing how you feel.

i loved the bluecoats drill...especially for the battery.

Tim Fairbanks is legit. A creative genius in my mind.

Nice thoughts about all corps, because all the corps deserve some love :tongue:

Blue Devils: Man, we're they clean! Also, last few mins of the show were absolutely ridiculous. Their perfomance level, IMHO, forces other corps to attempt to step up to their level of showmanship. Which is good for all.

Cavies: What an exciting show! The middle of their show I can't tell you how many times I have rewatched that. Just loud, powerful brass, which has definitely improved over the last few years. Trumpet trio was sick.

Bluecoats: Great concept. Made me rethink about the future, and really tore down boundaries of what can be done in a drum corps show. Cool body movements, and other small GE things that really took me in as a viewer. Brass was very very good also. :tongue:

Crown: Everyone has said it, but it needs to be said again. That brass line.... unworldly. Never heard a Crown brass line in a long time. What a gas.

Cadets: I actually was a fan of Little Jeffery. Great job. Music was good, and as always, a very loud hornline. Visual was, like most Cadets shows, very very good. Love watching their shows.

Phantom: Beautiful. Only word to describe the show. No gimmicks. Just all about beautiful drill, and beautiful music. Love the flugelhorn player. Such a beautiful sound, and he was money every time I heard him.

Vanguard: What a change from 2009 to 2010. Not a bad change. Just different. They took a very difficult, dirty, and (unfinished) product in June that I wondered how they could salvage a show, and turned that into a very well executed show. Loved the backwards running through time thing in the beginning. Very exposed brass, and they stepped up.

Blue Stars: A fan favorite. Easily accessible, with recognizable music. But, that didn't make it seemed watered down. It was actually a very great brass line. Loved their sound. Their ballad was wonderful. Good changes at the end of the season to make the final Houdini trick to be more in the spotlight, I missed it earlier in the season.

Boston: Great show. Their brass was better than I expected them to be. Cool visual moments. One of their better shows in recent years.

Madison: Early season, I was hating on Madison. Just thought they were being overhyped, thought they were the flavor of the week. Man, was I wrong. Great, entertaining show. No concept needed, only concept was that Madison was back. Enjoyable show.

Blue Knights: Great move to do more recognizable music. I am not usually a fan of their shows, but they made a fan out of me. Farandole was powerful. Great job.

Glassmen: Interesting concept. Visually, it had a TON of allusions to prayer/deity. Really cool, and you have to see it a few times to catch everything. Pretty clean too.

Colts: Liked the concept. Very clean show for a nonfinalist. They are knocking on finals door.

Academy: What a brassline. This corps is going to be a finalist. Not if, but when they choose to.

Troopers: Bon Jovi music actually worked for me, was skeptical when they announced it, but it works. Great GE moments, like the opening ripple, and the ending with the guard girl/DM was cute.

Spirit: Concept was cool. Brass was much improved over 2009.

Crossmen: I enjoyed the music. I liked how they used the concept of "Full Circle" in their drill.

Pacific Crest: Good hornline. Arguably could have made semis. Next year could be their year.

Mandarins: I liked the compasses they used in their show, and their props were cool. Hornline was very good considering the numbers of brass.

Teal Sound: Welcome to World Class! My most watched show from the 18+ placing corps. Guitar actually worked for me, and the prog rock music was way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Big surprise, in my eyes. They showed that you can use non-typical music in drum corps.

Jersey Surf: Enjoyable show. Loved the patriotic stuff. Some cool props, and was good.

Cascades: Silver Lining was cool. I like what the drill designer did.

Pioneer: Much better brass than I expected. Good music selection.

• Like 1

Since the Blue Devils 2008 Finals performance secured guard Scores in the 3rd, 4th place range, the Blue Devils the last 2 years have really improved their Guard. The last 2 years the Blue Devils have had the best Guard in Drum Corps.