Say something nice about a 2011 corps/show

Crown is rocking my socks off. They perform. It's great. I see not only musicians on the field, but PERFORMERS. I came to see a performance, and Crown gives it to me.

I love a lot of what the Cavies are doing. Their visual package is nails.

Everyone is good!

SCV's snare line is phenomenal. At times in the show they tend to overplay a slight bit with the brass playing, but nonetheless, on the whole, this is a line that is fun to watch and listen too. The snare arrangements are awesome. The line can really lay it down too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

SCV's snare line is phenomenal. At times in the show they tend to overplay a slight bit with the brass playing, but nonetheless, on the whole, this is a line that is fun to watch and listen too. The snare arrangements are awesome. The line can really lay it down too, imo.

Plus, they actually sound like snare drums! :thumbup:

i'm falling into the trap of fanning the flames of negativity on the board too much today.

that's why i made THIS thread in the first place. wish i could remember that more often.

soooo.....great to see BK getting rewarded for the wonderful music they're doing. it's pretty much a catalog of some of the finest wind ensemble music i've ever been lucky enough to play, and it's VERY well-arranged.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this place has become a putrid cesspool overnight. Very sad.

Anyhoo, BK is already ahead of last year in their visual performance, and that's great to see. I think they're going to keep the fun music going, and just keep developing that visual and be a top 6 contender in the coming years if they keep it up.

BK has the classiest rep this year.

The Cascades have blown me away this season. Their show concept is extremely well-developed, and their corps plays with heart, soul, and meaning. It bums me to no end that they had to be the ones on the wrong end of a fender-bender.

Phantom Regiment's hornline has one of the fullest hornline sounds I have ever heard. They literally filled up the Alamodome to the point where I could hear them at 50% volume on the goal line.

The Cadets' show concept is pure brilliance. I can't wait to see what they add before Finals; the potential is out the roof.

As much as people hate the Cavaliers' gimmicks, I really appreciate the way that they convey the show concept of "XtraordinarY". It is not ordinary for a drum and bugle corps to do some of the stunts they're pulling.

The Blue Devils have been gathering their stride ever since San Antonio. I'm really glad to see them in the mix for 1st, as this show is proving progessively more worthy of it.

I am super excited that three shows have a shot at 1st, and three shows have a shot at 12th. This speaks volumes to the strength of corps' programs this year, as none of these races can be qualified as "weak".

The Boston Crusaders play their show with so much heart and soul. They are really intent on the idea of performing and "selling" their show.

The same goes for Carolina Crown. I can't imagine how difficult it is to properly perform their show concept, and they are doing one heck of a job.

Pioneer is doing an excellent job projecting a presence larger than their numbers would imply. My hat goes off to these guys.

I really appreciate the way Teal Sound is establishing themselves as a rock-based corps. Forging an identity is not an easy thing to do, and these guys have found a niche that works really well for them.

And, dipping into Open Class for a second here: I saw Genesis for the first time this year. I was amazed at the performance level and maturity of this corps. If this is where they're at in their second year, I can't wait to see where they're going to be five years from now.

Here's my top 12:

Blue Devils - Slick, laid back groove, polished.

Cadets - Total package, fully capable of winning at Indy.

Cavaliers - Over the top insane visual, still a threat to win.

Crown - Most entertaining of the top 5, lush brass sound, also a darkhorse to win.

Phantom - Another tremendous hornline, powerful sound. Solid drill, solid drums.

Bluecoats - Best staging/integration of visual and colorguard, top 3 brass sound.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Insane visual program, getting cleaner, best drum line.

Boston Crusaders - Visual getting much cleaner, love the kneeling horns in the endzone.

Madison Scouts - Powerful, emotional, entertaining show, getting cleaner by the day.

Blue Knights - Wonderful music, classy, melodic and powerful.

Blue Stars - Great concept, ambitious visual program awesome drum line.

Spirit - Dark, energetic, southern swagger is back, powerful horns.

Edited by madalumni

BD--Loved the fast drill when it happened.

BK--Great choice of music, I had no idea that British folk songs could be so much fun.

BS--Loved the trust fall/rifle toss off the balcony. Scared me to death before I realized it was planned.

Coats--Visually, the most interesting opening I've seen this year.

Cru--One of my two favorite musicals ever. Thanks for doing it justice. Bring Him Home brought tears to my eyes, and I really enjoyed the scrim/lights/death sequence.

Crown--Bohemian Rhapsody at the beginning touched me deeply.

Cascades--Excellent theme and use of props (thank you for connecting one to the other). That woven box was especially cool.

Colts--The Swan was breathtaking.

Crossman--Absolutely brought me to my feet more than once. Great choice of music!

Glassmen--I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of so many songs and styles. It was musical tapestry.

Surf--Libertango was some of the best fun on the night. I was dancing in the stands.

Scouts--You made me cry and shout. The chaos scene touched a nerve, and the ending brought healing. Thank you for going there.

Mandarins--I felt like I was in the midst of the story.

Crest--I had no idea you guys could move like that. It was like an encyclopedia of the best drill from the last twenty years of drum corps, and it was inspiring. Keep it up!

PR--I really enjoyed your setting of "Confutatis". Very creative, and extremely effective.

SCV--If I can only listen to one brass timbre for the rest of my life, it is your sound in the chorale toward the end of the show. Simply stunning.

SOA--Thank you for biting off a speedy drill. I've never seen such "spirited" movement from SOA, and was glad to see it.

Academy--As a choral musician, I loved your take on Lux Aurumque. Beautiful sounds and musical interpretations!

Cadets--Great visuals! Thank you for choosing a theme and interpreting it clearly (but also leaving details for us to figure out as we go). I really enjoyed the Doxology/Amazing Grace "war". Excellent staging.

Cavies--My thought process: "Is he ... really? ... Upside down? ... That's not possible ... But he is ... (speechlessness) ... (shouting so loud I couldn't hear anything they were playing) ... XtraordinarY"

Troopers--Thanks for great intonation in the "infinite" chord. (I really enjoyed the visual "pun", too.)

Jubal--Happy Birthday! I hope I'm having (and sharing) so much fun when I'm 100.

Alliance--I always love hearing Infernal Dance. Thanks for bringing it.

How's that for positive?