Say something nice about a 2011 corps/show

I love love love BD's monstrous low brass sound this season and I really love their repertoire. Their entire drum feature section with the euphs transitioning between playing frontfield and backfield along with everything that's happening in the front ensemble... AHH the whole section is my favorite!

I love that Cavies' guard costumes make me so uncomfortable. They're so different and remind me of something I'd see in Cirque Du Soleil (I love Cirque), and even though I'm so creeped out by the stilts and such, I still think it's really cool. I really appreciate their early season cleanliness-- it shows that they're serious about coming out for a win and that they're truly nothing short of Xtraordinary.

Usually, The Cadets aren't my cup of tea with the narration/story lines/etc, but this season, I REALLY like Between Angels and Demons. It's everything I like about them and nothing I don't like. I'm so happy to want them to do well!

Crown's Eruption. Pure awesome.

Phantom. Oh my gosh. Phantom. I absolutely love Juliet. I was so happy to have the opportunity to see them in SoCal. The guard is elegant, beautiful and absolutely breathtaking. Everything about Rota's Love Theme is incredible.... it makes me tear up every single time I hear it. The way their mellophones soar over the top of the rest of the corps at certain points... WONDERFUL. I just love it. LOVE.

BLUE KNIGHTS. English Folk Song Suite is my #1 favorite piece of all time, and Vaughan Williams is one of my favorite composers. I can't explain how excited I was when they announced that they'd be putting it on the field along with First Suite. This show is pure entertainment to me because they've done a fantastic job putting these pieces on the field. One of my favorite moments is the little triangle "ding" at the end First Suite's Intermezzo! I literally laughed and clapped when I saw it the first time (mind you, I was in my bedroom alone watching it on my laptop lol!) I appreciate that they really highlighted the best in each piece without changing them into something they're not. Bravo, BK!

I might make a second post. There's so much that I love! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Phantom. Oh my gosh. Phantom. I absolutely love Juliet. I was so happy to have the opportunity to see them in SoCal. The guard is elegant, beautiful and absolutely breathtaking. Everything about Rota's Love Theme is incredible.... it makes me tear up every single time I hear it. The way their mellophones soar over the top of the rest of the corps at certain points... WONDERFUL. I just love it. LOVE.

I have never agreed with anything more than I agree with that ^!!!!!!

TRUTH!!!!!!! Phantom has blown me away this season.

and the Cavaliers Jungle Tango makes me want to dance

Edited by connorthemello

I was blown away by the improvement in PR's horns from the Houston opener to the Denver show. Big, HUGE sound and lush tones and chords. Elsa's just reduced me to tears (except for the cut time in the last 8 bars or so--should have bled it at 80 bpm right to the end! Elsa didn't run up to the altar...)

Wait a minute--has your avatar always been a picture of John Garfield?

And to stay on topic: Boston's opener has beautiful drill.

The changes the Bluecoats have made to their ballad makes this easily one of the most gripping emotional buildups in a show. I literally held my breath the entire time.

I think Crossmen is going to be my favorite track on on 2011 CD. Great songs, incredible arrangements, awesomely played. I love the texture the flugels add to the sound. But their guard is no slouch either. 30 rifles doing unison tosses with no drops? WOW!

I'm really enjoying seeing Crown's show grow this year and how I'm liking the show more and more as they add more little moments here and there. I remember feeling exactly this way about the 2009 show, which really, deeply clicked with me right around Atlanta.

Blue Stars' battery is my favorite to watch--last year and again this year. Their movement style is similar to other corps' but there's something distinct that I just love.

Troopers ending is so awesome that it made me cry at the Metamora show.

Legends' arrangement of Debussy's Pagodes is phenomenal. I was skeptical this piano piece could work on the field, but they did it! It's a pit feature to start, but when the brass comes in, it just works. Amazing! :worthy: Speaking of the pit, the quality of Legends' pit is way beyond what I would have expected from an Open Class corps. Keep it up guys!

Bluecoats' Creep is the best opener of the year, so far. Awesome start to the show!

Madison's ESOM is the best closer of the year, so far. Awesome and emotional end to the show!

Pacific Crest is putting visuals on the field that go far beyond what their rank would suggest. I love the drill and I love seeing them get better every year.

SCV's show is my current overall favorite. Fantastic theme, amazing music, incredible visuals. Suh-weet ending.

Cadets' visuals with the two uniforms are fabulous. And the ballad? Holy cow. The arrangement for the demons is just ... wow.

Blue Devils' brass texture is luscious. They almost sound like they're playing G bugles again. And the music selections? Burt Bacharach? Genius!

Holy blue devils. Minus the props, I absolutely love this show!!!!

Academy AMAZING design. Phenomenal brass. Love it.

Spirit...I'm new to drum corps (relatively) so I've only seen JSU version of spirit. This years show rocks.