1995 all over Again

I of course understand that it's important for the shows to excite and please us the year they're in competition. That's the fun in yearly competition. But I also think the histories of certain shows and certain corps (ahem, Star, cough) are evidence that we might want to give more credit to the difference time and perspective can make. The histories of 'weird' shows by top corps are useful examples, for this.

People may have been plenty excited to see the Cavs overtake BD in 95, for a whole host of reasons; I'll take everyone's word for it. But today? To me, at least, BD's show is the more timeless of the two, even if it may have struck some as a bit odd when it was in competition. The judges' decisions don't really have an effect on how these shows go down in history. No one needed Scorcese's 'Raging Bull' to win Best Picture in order for it to remain one of the most respected films of all time -- much more so than what beat it. ('Ordinary People.')

Cavs may overtake BD this year -- maybe, from the standpoint of the present, deservingly so. Or the reverse! Or someone else entirely.

But which is the show that'll go down in drum corps history?

I think there could be a couple this year. Lots of good corps this year and a wide variety to pick from to like. I think cavaliers and BD have the two most innovative shows, but there are tons of great performing corps this year.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there could be a couple this year. Lots of good corps this year and a wide variety to pick from to like. I think cavaliers and BD have the two most innovative shows, but there are tons of great performing corps this year.

Agree....Bluecoats total package, Cadets music choices, Crown and their brass and huge drill. SCV and their show. Scouts and their return.....this is a good year.

G

So what I'm wondering is, during the DCI era has a corps ever been undefeated two years +?! IF Blue Devils continue their winning ways and win another Championship in a couple of weeks, would being undefeated over the course of two full seasons be the longest streak in the DCI era?

Oh, my bad

We're grasping at straws and looking for ways that Blue Devils will blow it. I guess stranger things would happen, but Cavaliers would have to overcome a pretty big deficit in brass (which also effects music ensemble). It's possible, and I'm not counting out other corps either. But I think it's unlikely.

So what I'm wondering is, during the DCI era has a corps ever been undefeated two years +?! IF Blue Devils continue their winning ways and win another Championship in a couple of weeks, would being undefeated over the course of two full seasons be the longest streak in the DCI era?

Oh, my bad

We're grasping at straws and looking for ways that Blue Devils will blow it. I guess stranger things would happen, but Cavaliers would have to overcome a pretty big deficit in brass (which also effects music ensemble). It's possible, and I'm not counting out other corps either. But I think it's unlikely.

FWIW, the cavaliers are currently 4th in horns and 2nd in music ensemble. Their horn line is solid this year, there just happens to be a lot of great horn lines. It should be noted also that the cavaliers have only won horns twice in their entire corps history, but have won DCI 7 times. So, this is nothing new.

I believe it is really tough for them to win the brass trophy due to the physical and environmental demands that are placed on them, doing that crazy Michael Gaines drill with direction changes every 4 counts and integrated instrumentation every year. That is the price that they pay though for the effects that they get from the drill.

FWIW, the cavaliers are currently 4th in horns and 2nd in music ensemble. Their horn line is solid this year, there just happens to be a lot of great horn lines. It should be noted also that the cavaliers have only won horns twice in their entire corps history, but have won DCI 7 times. So, this is nothing new.

I believe it is really tough for them to win the brass trophy due to the physical and environmental demands that are placed on them, doing that crazy Michael Gaines drill with direction changes every 4 counts and integrated instrumentation every year. That is the price that they pay though for the effects that they get from the drill.

I agree, though. Their hornline isn't bad. There are just some great hornlines out there this year.

The Cavaliers hold the longest winning streak of show wins (63 straight victories). This began at Lynn, MA on August 2, 2001 and ended at Indianapolis on July 26, 2003. So they were within a few days of having two undefeated calendar years..... but they really weren't even close to achieving two consecutive undefeated drum corps seasons. So yes, I believe if the Blue Devils close out his year, it will be the first back to back completely undefeated summer.

Just for reference..... are these the only completely undefeated seasons in the DCI era?:

1982 Blue Devils

1994 Blue Devils

2000 Cadets

2002 Cavaliers

2009 Blue Devils

Are these all correct..... are there any more?

The Cavaliers hold the longest winning streak of show wins (63 straight victories). This began at Lynn, MA on August 2, 2001 and ended at Indianapolis on July 26, 2003. So they were within a few days of having two undefeated calendar years..... but they really weren't even close to achieving two consecutive undefeated drum corps seasons. So yes, I believe if the Blue Devils close out his year, it will be the first back to back completely undefeated summer.

Just for reference..... are these the only completely undefeated seasons in the DCI era?:

1982 Blue Devils

1994 Blue Devils

2000 Cadets

2002 Cavaliers

2009 Blue Devils

Didnt Madison have one?

Also, I thought Cadets were undefeated un 2000 and not the Cavaliers.... Can't remember now

1982 Blue Devils

1994 Blue Devils

2000 Cadets

2002 Cavaliers

2009 Blue Devils

Pretty sure you're correct.

I remember that BD lost 2 times in 1997...both to The Cadets, and both by 0.1 points.

And there's a few corps that only lost once.