1995 all over Again

Yep.

And I realize there are petty people out there like you've described. Maybe I'm just good at avoiding them and always end up with special seats not around crazies who hate certain corps.

I count myself fortunate after all of the anecdotes people bring up on here about encountering slime at competitions.

Well yes, you have been quite lucky... because I have seen tons of them. MOST of them were people that marched a rival corps and had a beef with them for some reason or another.

I think BD is the poster child for the corps everyone wants to hate, because they have won so much.

Cadets have gotten plenty of vitriol too for pushing the envelope on things.

Cavaliers got their fair share too the last few years for coming across as aloof musically.

The three mentioned above are also the three winningest corps in DCI history too.. So that may have something to do with it too.....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right about 60-something consecutive wins starting to wear on fans. But I'd think that people would be happy to see one of the old warhorses winning again - BD had quite a drought prior to 94. Think if SCV went undefeated next year through quarters of 2012 - I think people would be generally happy for them. I wasn't on RAMD back then, but I can picture 95 BD being a polarizing show. And before GMichael tells me I'm worthless, I'll preemptively say that I didn't attend 15 shows either nor can I pee as far as he can.

Most folks hoping for a 95 repeat, if like me, are rooting for the excitement of uncertainty and trying to deny the foregone conclusion rather than being sick of BD winning night after night. One is a function of the other, but they have different meanings.

This is what I have been saying. I believe the crowd is going to back another corps come NATS week just for this reason, much like they did in 2008. It remains to be seen whether or not this will happen and if it will have any impact on the final outcome, but I think it will happen and it MAY have an effect on the competitive outcome.

Well yes, you have been quite lucky... because I have seen tons of them. MOST of them were people that marched a rival corps and had a beef with them for some reason or another.

I think BD is the poster child for the corps everyone wants to hate, because they have won so much.

Cadets have gotten plenty of vitriol too for pushing the envelope on things.

Cavaliers got their fair share too the last few years for coming across as aloof musically.

The three mentioned above are also the three winningest corps in DCI history too.. So that may have something to do with it too.....

Yep, the winners always get it.

People loved the corps in 94, but you can't tell me they did in 95 or they would have won. 94 was a fan friendly show, but you win that many shows in a row (something like 60 or so) and people are going to wear thin at some point. The corps was getting a good reaction in 95 (much better than this year) but a fan favorite they were not. Madison, Cadets, and the Cavaliers all had them beat in that respect from what I recall.... It has been 15 years though.

So what is a corps and their fans supposed to do? This says that it doesn't matter jack squat if you're fan friendly, have angels doing frenetic drill with Gabriel blowing SOP and feeding needy children in the lot before your performance.....you're screwed!

Why don't we just put a limit on the number of wins any corps can get and turn them into an exhibition show the next year or until they sufficiently suck.

This kind of truth (and I believe what you're saying here) has no defense. What this thread is saying (and in some cases wishing) is for BD 2010 to just go away! Or we can hijack their design team and force them to go to another corps or............ :tongue:

Why don't we just put a limit on the number of wins any corps can get and turn them into an exhibition show the next year or until they sufficiently suck.

I think that's what they do in Japan.

You may be right about 60-something consecutive wins starting to wear on fans. But I'd think that people would be happy to see one of the old warhorses winning again - BD had quite a drought prior to 94. Think if SCV went undefeated next year through quarters of 2012 - I think people would be generally happy for them. I wasn't on RAMD back then, but I can picture 95 BD being a polarizing show. And before GMichael tells me I'm worthless, I'll preemptively say that I didn't attend 15 shows either nor can I pee as far as he can.

Most folks hoping for a 95 repeat, if like me, are rooting for the excitement of uncertainty and trying to deny the foregone conclusion rather than being sick of BD winning night after night. One is a function of the other, but they have different meanings.

BD was indeed a polarizing show. You didnt say anything "wrong" .....and why would I say you are worthless ??? Talk about flamebait, but im not gonna take it....Im just gonna go and pee, from the living room, into the bathroom :tongue:

G

This is what I have been saying. I believe the crowd is going to back another corps come NATS week just for this reason, much like they did in 2008. It remains to be seen whether or not this will happen and if it will have any impact on the final outcome, but I think it will happen and it MAY have an effect on the competitive outcome.

I think it depends on the corps also, and the design.....2002 Cavaliers were heading into Madison undefeated and poised to grab their third consecutive title..you would think folks were sick of them. Plus, BD redid their whole show , had crowd friendly charts and Cadets did some pandering and schlock also......Crowd was frenzied for Cavies that night and went wild for them..I remember the center section loaded, I mean LOADED with folks waving those white, green and blaxk flags and there was constant cheering and standing througout the performance........

Now, the 2002 Cavaliers, in my opinion was a well designed, wellperformed show but, to me, lacked excitement. This years BD show is well designed, well performed but some feel it is terrible.....hence, the folks here complaining about it and cashing in one of their three wishes to have anyone beat them come finals night.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

How do we know? There was no internet then nor, God forbid... DCP! People had to leave nasty BD comments on the windsheld wipers of their buses! Write anti-BD slogans on their forehead or fart in the tunnel as they entered the field. :tongue:

I was there. i saw the reactions.

I know, I hate that when your winning an argument with him and he comes back with a challenge to a peeing contest! It's down right emasculating.

Well, I was there, quite a bit. 15 shows to be exact. Down from the 19 I saw the year before...just to see the Blue Devils because it had been so long since they were on "top"...I can say , proudly, I traveled the country seeing that show, got all my ticket stubs and pictures too.....There was no disdain over them winning from where I was able to see.....Unless of course other corps "honks" were realizing the BD was indeed back....but, like I said they were warmly received in 94 and although the show did scrath a few heads in 95, it was very warmly received and attained lots of applause and standing "O"s....

G

yeah, I saw em about 9 times, I don't remember any boos or heckling or comments as they finished up. and man, when they got loud, people liked it!