Carolina Crown and Bluecoats

I haven't seen or heard Crown yet, but it's going to have to be my favorite show of theirs ever to match what I've seen and heard from the Bluecoats. I've been listening to the Houston APD almost continuously since I bought it yesterday.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Crown - it's a great music book and their talent level is impressive. But Bluecoats have the show of the year in my book. The music is outstanding, the visual is strong, and the talent level also seems to be very high.

I'd be fine with either show taking home a medal, but personally, I'm rooting for the 'coats.

Bloo. Crown is just missing that special something the last 3 years had musically

I'll give the edge to Bluecoats. They have a swagger and energy this year that is infectious. I'm drawn to their show on the fan network far more often than I am to Crown (no disrespect to Crown, they also have a wonderful show).

BC show this year is one of those rare treats where every section of the corps is firing on all cylindars, and there's a synergy at work that the production as a whole seems greater than the sum of its parts. It's smart, it's difficult, but most of all it's entertaining as hell. I've had their music running through my head all season.

I love both Bluecoats and Crown, but I am afraid that neither has a winning show design at the moment.

The bluecoats have very exciting music, and the guard visual is both well-designed and spectacularly performed. Drill is the killer for BC. The drill design is too basic: they are standing still too much and there are too many follow-the leader type drill elements. What is with the drumline during the ballad? The silent standstill here knocks this corps out of the running for top spot IMO. I think this year's members are up to more complex drill if they have someone to write it. I would love to see BCs in top 2, but I think some significant changes are required to make this happen.

Listening to Crown is bliss, but the ballad is too slow, too long and frankly a little boring. But, the real challenge for Crown is the ending -- to build so much excitement with the Mahler reprise and then finish off with lots of long chords coupled with an equally lackluster drill is a shame. I am hoping they pull out a surprise new closer with a few more notes and some faster-paced drill, but I am not going to hold my breath. A slow finish seems to be one of Crowns trademarks judging from the last couple of years.

That being said I wish both groups the best and hope the designers pull some miracles out of their backends. (Please give these kids a show that maximizes their talent.) I would love to see either one in the top spot.

I wish both were a bit more.... Devils :tongue::smile:

Seriously now, based on FN only..... BLOO!

I can't decide. I will say I love them both this year. I like Bluecoats intensity and precision...they have such an agressive nature about them this year..like they are on fire.

Crown, has such a regal, pronounced look and feel to their show. A maturity and presence that is almost unmatched. Larger than life, Lush, sweet sounding and totally over the top, a true spectacle.....I want them to both tie for second.

Oh, and as true today as always....The kids I have met and talked to from both corps are nothing but classy, respectfull, fun, and friendly.....

Good job.

G