SCV Still dropping

Question: Are SCV droppings green or red?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree how can "now that the Blue Stars beat SCV" be allowed when its a flat out lie. Never mind different scores, different nights...it has NOT happened...at all.

G

Ok, I apologize. I should have worded this differently.

Let's try this. Although at different shows, it appears that the blue stars are catching scv. It seems as scv's score is stuck. Is there a possibility that they may drop lower than 7 th or 8th?

Let's try this. Although at different shows, it appears that the blue stars are catching scv. It seems as scv's score is stuck. Is there a possibility that they may drop lower than 7 th or 8th?

That is better! ;)

Seriously, I don't have a problem with the term "passed", even based upon scores from different shows. It is just the nature of being a fan in the summer. Not a big deal.

My initial reaction to the initial post is the tenor of it. There is no need for the shocking tone. SCV has been battling Phantom and BS for the past 10 days or so. They surged earlier to put some distance between them and BK and BAC, but Phantom and BS have been right there. Those three are still in a heated battle for 6th - 8th that could go any way, so why the surprise?? It appears to me the ceiling is 6th and the floor is 8th. Nothing has changed in the past couple weeks.

As far the show goes, I LOVE it. Very interesting, very intense, very exciting. I think this idea that they don't have the visual demand is ludicrous. Top 4 in that department in my opinion. I have not watched this past weekend yet, but in my opinion, a week age they were executing at a higher level visually than both PR and BS with more demand. Lots of season left. It is a shame the drum line is not yet up to a performance level equivalent to the rest of the corps. If they were then SCV would be solidly in 6th with a higher ceiling.

You know... here's the thing: although I'm sure it matters to SCV marchers, staff, alums of SCV where SCV finishes this year within the 5th to 10th grouping,.. in a year or two it won't really matter if they finished 5th or 10th. Not really. The only thing that will matter by then will be whether or not this 5th to 10th place 2010 SCV Corps had an entertaining show or not. And whether national fans look back with fondness for the 2010 SCV show performance or not. Will it be a show that national fans will want to go back and listen too ?.... or not ?. Will it be a show that national fans will want to go back and watch on Fan Network ?... or not ?. Nobody knows right now. Only time will tell. There are PLENTY of examples over the years where SCV did not finish in the top 5, but their show had lasting interest on the part of Drum Corps fans everywhere, and for years to come afterwards. Years even today where there is STILL fondness for their show in that year... still listened to and watched on Fan Network, and on DVD's.... and yet, it was a year in which the Corps with it's show finished lower in the placements than in the top 4 or 5. That's the BIG picture here to keep in mind, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

That is a pic of the '86 Phi Mu Alpha brothers (minus me), and...very well said. My corps would have been worried at taking a third place let alone out of the top there. Jon W., who marched '85-87 always reminds us when we get together that we never took less than 2nd place and only lost to two corps in those years. Seize the moment and make the little man in the hat dance!

A couple of things:

MANY SCV corps didn't "only" come in 2nd place. In fact, the majority of them didn't. Does that make them less of a corps than when you marched? I personally think one of the years that most embodies SCV is the 1993 corps. They were a corps that was certainly not stacked with Championship-level talent, was not seen by the judging community in June as a Championship contender, and possibly had to work twice as hard in mid-late July & August to fight for their placement at finals than the 85-87 edition of the corps did.

Also, you and a few others act as if the current staff and membership are complacent with where they're at, and I think we all know that's not true.

I know that when you get the old-timers/alumni together, lots of chest thumping and "#### the way we did things was absolutely perfect" type stuff is said. I have no doubt that like any other alumni from any corps you want your corps to be the best they can be, and when they don't meet your expectations you're disappointed and want the corps to be better: that's awesome! But border-line belittling this (and other editions) of YOUR corps isn't that cool, and doesn't exactly do much to help the cause. In this day and age it's not like the Vanguard members don't have wifi on their bus and don't read threads on DCP with their corps in the title/subject line. Perhaps if you channel your energies in other ways, you will inspire your brothers and sisters rather than shame them.

A couple of things:

MANY SCV corps didn't "only" come in 2nd place. In fact, the majority of them didn't. Does that make them less of a corps than when you marched? I personally think one of the years that most embodies SCV is the 1993 corps. They were a corps that was certainly not stacked with Championship-level talent, was not seen by the judging community in June as a Championship contender, and possibly had to work twice as hard in mid-late July & August to fight for their placement at finals than the 85-87 edition of the corps did.

Also, you and a few others act as if the current staff and membership are complacent with where they're at, and I think we all know that's not true.

I know that when you get the old-timers/alumni together, lots of chest thumping and "#### the way we did things was absolutely perfect" type stuff is said. I have no doubt that like any other alumni from any corps you want your corps to be the best they can be, and when they don't meet your expectations you're disappointed and want the corps to be better: that's awesome! But border-line belittling this (and other editions) of YOUR corps isn't that cool, and doesn't exactly do much to help the cause. In this day and age it's not like the Vanguard members don't have wifi on their bus and don't read threads on DCP with their corps in the title/subject line. Perhaps if you channel your energies in other ways, you will inspire your brothers and sisters rather than shame them.

At the beginning of the season they were advised not to read DCP. I hope they followed directions.