Hey BD

+1 Nice to hear a completely positive thread for a change. :thumbdown:

+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+++++++

:tongue::worthy::smile:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes guts, ATTITUDE and Performance Excellence. Plus THEY ARE HAVING THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES!

:thumbdown::tongue::smile: ++++++++++++++!

The last visual/music sequence is the best in-your-face-BD-moment ever. Also

love the low synth hold over on the last note.

I don't know if I'd say best EVER, but I agree that it's a great moment for Blue Devils, and one of their better moments in a long time. I agree with others that this is by far Blue Devil's best designed show ever: I kind of hope that by Finals they REALLY open up that last push and blow our faces off!

The last visual/music sequence is the best in-your-face-BD-moment ever. Also

love the low synth hold over on the last note.

Did your mother agree as well ?

BD-2010 Approaching Terminal Velocity with Huge AIR PRESSURE - Aiming HIGH!

Yeah, I saw the video on U tube too. I think Blue Devils have the wildest horn arrangement I can remember this year. People say there is no melody, and they don't get it--and where is the traditional jazz-- well , you've got avant guard jazz in your face for 10 minutes in this show. BD has my favorite horn book this year. Its gonna be iconic. Some of those chords I know I couldn't write down in dictation and I've had lots of practice. I have no problem with this show winning (I'm a Bluecoats fan).

I apologize for alluding to certain visual judges eating this show up like a poop sandwich w/ a big brown grin on their faces.

This horn book is rad.

What's interesting to me, is how difficult it is to construct an entire musical book of avant guard jazz literature. I would argue that it is MUCH more difficult to arrange a show in the vain of BD than a more mainstream, traditionally structured musical book like Madison Scouts. Add in the difficulty of playing such exposed phrases that are more difficult to master than an easy-to-grasp/recognize than a traditional book. As a teacher it is OBVIOUS that students are more successful right off the bad and more comfortable playing recognizable music & melodies than a more modern, pseudo-atonal piece where there might not be a recognizable melody for minutes at a time.

For me personally as a Veteran, Citizen, plus a huge Drum Corps Fan and supporter of the kids - the show this year is The Retreat from Atlanta Georgia.

The combined Corps with the sea of color of tapestry and majesty on the field playing The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Awesome - To Andrew Rogers of The Blue Devils - WELL DONE!!

WOW! DCI thank you for posting this video.

I just love the mood it creates. You can feel the varying emotions through the music, you can feel agression, you can feel tension, you can feel folly, you can feel seriousness, the dynamics in the brass are the best I have heard in a long time, almost like a stereo...so reminiscent of 1991.

I also love how this years visual program builds suspense through the transitions, lots of time in creating the patterns and then transforming them on the impact. Brilliant.

I cant wait to see this show live in THREE DAYS !!! Then I see it four more times !!!

G