Hey BD

I just love the mood it creates. You can feel the varying emotions through the music, you can feel agression, you can feel tension, you can feel folly, you can feel seriousness, the dynamics in the brass are the best I have heard in a long time, almost like a stereo...so reminiscent of 1991.

I also love how this years visual program builds suspense through the transitions, lots of time in creating the patterns and then transforming them on the impact. Brilliant.

I cant wait to see this show live in THREE DAYS !!! Then I see it four more times !!!

G

LIke I have said previously, I need a pitcher of the Blue KoolAid over here, I really love that horn book. It got the biggest reaction in Salem. But I wonder what changes they have in store for Allentown and Indy, seem they may have maxed out this iteration.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing show, regardless of placement. I see and hear more every time. This show messes with my head, and I didn't know a drum corps show could do that. It's brilliant, there I said it.

The last visual/music sequence is the best in-your-face-BD-moment ever. Also

love the low synth hold over on the last note.

Me too! On the earlier recordings/VODs I was wondering what the heck that was -- I didn't realize it was a part of the show. I love it.

Thanks DCP for a positive BD post. This show definitely messes with your head like none other I've ever seen. In rehearsals, I didn't like it. I saw it live and there was so much going on I couldn't take it all in. I watched it live some more and started to love it. I saw it for a few weeks on only fannetwork and began drifting away again. Then Atlanta multicam captured the beauty of several of the effects and reminded me why I loved it so much in person. And I've had to listen repeatedly to understand the complexity and power of the music. I'm still sifting through the layers of this show, it's genius. I'm happy Bluecoats have risen so high, but this show has to be awarded for it's excellence on Finals night.

And, please DCI, give us another retreat in Indy! What a pleasure it was to see the Atlanta vid. Crowds have been somewhat subdued in their reactions this year, but the retreats will bring fans back to DCI. Amazing experience. I can't wait to see this BD show 3 more times when I go to Indy.

The last visual/music sequence is the best in-your-face-BD-moment ever. Also

love the low synth hold over on the last note.

IMO, Hearing it live the synth ruins the whole effect of the horn line blowing their brains out. Instead of that, you are left with, BOOOOOOGGGGGG. Kind of like a fog horn interrupting a conversation and spoiling the moment.

I LOVE this show! I think it could be my new favorite show. To me, everything is just so incredibly impressive and intriguing! I enjoy everything from the moment the winds pop out from behind the mirrors, to the completely insane drum feature, to the intricate and sky high weapon work that perfectly compliment the tasty brass licks.

There are only a few things that I think would make this show even better.

1) Flag design. They're sort of boring. I like how the opener flag reappears (but with color) in the 3rd movement, but I wish they could have been slightly more creative. Reflections...reflecting the past...light through a prism... I really wonder what Scott was going for with these bland designs. I loved the designs for "1930."

2) Opening battery drill. They are playing some insane stuff at the start of the show. Too bad people hardly notice it!

3) Mirrors. I wish they were taller. Possibly 14 feet instead of 12? I know they're massive already, but I don't really like seeing white plumes stick out above them from a high vantage point.

4) The ending. It has changed a lot already! From the original exciting "La Suerte" reprise (at Stanford), to a very unsatisfying mashup teaser, to the current "Laura" reprise (which I think is a gorgeous resolution). I can't wait to see the ending at Finals which I heard will be PHENOMENAL.

As for the low bass hangover note, I think it has gotten a lot better over the past few weeks. It used to be extremely overwhelming and I hated it, but they've definitely turned it down and changed the tone so that it doesn't sound as synthetic.

There are so many amazing shows this year, and I'm continually stunned to see things get better each season. I see #14 on the horizon.

am I in backwards world or is there a BD love thread on DCP

I LOVE this show! I think it could be my new favorite show. To me, everything is just so incredibly impressive and intriguing! I enjoy everything from the moment the winds pop out from behind the mirrors, to the completely insane drum feature, to the intricate and sky high weapon work that perfectly compliment the tasty brass licks.

There are only a few things that I think would make this show even better.

1) Flag design. They're sort of boring. I like how the opener flag reappears (but with color) in the 3rd movement, but I wish they could have been slightly more creative. Reflections...reflecting the past...light through a prism... I really wonder what Scott was going for with these bland designs. I loved the designs for "1930."

2) Opening battery drill. They are playing some insane stuff at the start of the show. Too bad people hardly notice it!

3) Mirrors. I wish they were taller. Possibly 14 feet instead of 12? I know they're massive already, but I don't really like seeing white plumes stick out above them from a high vantage point.

4) The ending. It has changed a lot already! From the original exciting "La Suerte" reprise (at Stanford), to a very unsatisfying mashup teaser, to the current "Laura" reprise (which I think is a gorgeous resolution). I can't wait to see the ending at Finals which I heard will be PHENOMENAL.

As for the low bass hangover note, I think it has gotten a lot better over the past few weeks. It used to be extremely overwhelming and I hated it, but they've definitely turned it down and changed the tone so that it doesn't sound as synthetic.

There are so many amazing shows this year, and I'm continually stunned to see things get better each season. I see #14 on the horizon.

My biggest issue right now is 'Laura.'

That number is an ensemble tear waiting to happen, because of the gnarly visual design. It's definitely not a disaster, but I think some of the great musical effects that were so apparent in the pre-season recording are muddied, and I'm a little sad about that. It's a tough piece. In order for that big hit to work, everything leading up to it needs to be perfectly in line. They're getting there!

And what happened to the spinning sopranos?! I loved that part. This is just like when BD toyed with my heartstrings in 08 by making Mr Stickly's limbs move for a few weeks and then cutting it by finals.