Amps

If certain directors in DCI have their way you will see Saxophones and Trombones in DCI and it will eventually come to DCA and that won't be as costly as amps :tongue: And it won't be too far off. My only hope is that their are enough old school guys around to vote against non brass instruments including trombones and amps!! Their is no place for amps in a drum corps! :mat:

You got it right brother!!!!!!

We all have a choice of what to do with our spare time, we do Drum and Bugle Corps because it is different! It is unique,,, the all brass sound and kick #$$ percussion is awesome. The guards do more than you could ever hope from any town dance studio. The whole package is sooo unique that we have to do it!

Or you do Marching Band,,,,,, that's OK if that's what you like!

its a no brainer to me! Drum and Bugle Corps!!!!!!

I'll like my amp just like it is,, at home,, cranked up and jamm'in!

Edited by WayBackBuc

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The G7 will become G8, maybe even G9.

What is left behind will be reconstituted as drum and bugle corps. When the pendulum swings back, or when the fish tail snaps back, I hope it doesn't take away ALL of the valves.

I'd like to see it swing back to Madison Scouts 1975 Instrumentation. Everything carried, except kettles grounded for concert "Mac Park."

Come to think of it, I'd like to see this mess of a country go back to '75 (pre-CARTER), mark time 4, and move forward again.

just wishful thinking out loud.

Joe

The G7 will become G8, maybe even G9.

What is left behind will be reconstituted as drum and bugle corps. When the pendulum swings back, or when the fish tail snaps back, I hope it doesn't take away ALL of the valves.

I'd like to see it swing back to Madison Scouts 1975 Instrumentation. Everything carried, except kettles grounded for concert "Mac Park."

Come to think of it, I'd like to see this mess of a country go back to '75 (pre-CARTER), mark time 4, and move forward again.

just wishful thinking out loud.

Joe

you mean nixon/ ford??? :tongue:

you mean nixon/ ford??? :tongue:

Ford was fine by me. A good man. I wish he had won the 1976 election.

But back to our regular topic "Gerald Ford and Amps in Drum Corps", please. :mat:

Edited by Fran Haring

Ford was fine by me. A good man. I wish he had won the 1976 election.

But back to our regular topic "Gerald Ford and Amps in Drum Corps", please. :tongue:

the ' pardoner in chief" . i think i'll pass. no amps either...........a gig for fran please...............

the ' pardoner in chief" . i think i'll pass. no amps either...........a gig for fran please...............

I like props. :tongue:

Only in certain districts and only under certain conditions and restraints. So long as ONE student fails to graduate due to state testing, that TRUMPS all other concerns.

My original point several pages back was the role of non-school beginner drum and bugle corps.

An activity that once saw THOUSANDS of drum and bugle corps throughout the country keeping kids off the street while providing two OR THREE competitions LOCALLY each weekend has dwindled to a handful of touring professionals who have to audition for their spot.

My first contest NOT ONE NOTE came out of my horn. I learned the drill and later that year I learned to make the noise make it around all the tubes, through that piston thinggy, and out the front. Good thing they didn't have auditions.

BTW..........we had fun.......and NO fun ever begins with a board of education......too volatile and fickle.

Joe

The little local contests are now replaced by the local band circuit contests, like TOB and USSBA in my area. My daughter was an alto sax 'hole filler' as an 8th grader, since we lost one player after the drill was written. Did not play a note at the first show...by the end of the season she had 80% of the music learned (though she remained a drummer the rest of her music career...up to today).

You can't just look at the DCI tour these days and bemoan the losses. The competition world of HS band FAR outstrips what drum corps was ever able to provide, and for more members nationwide.

The little local contests are now replaced by the local band circuit contests, like TOB and USSBA in my area. My daughter was an alto sax 'hole filler' as an 8th grader, since we lost one player after the drill was written. Did not play a note at the first show...by the end of the season she had 80% of the music learned (though she remained a drummer the rest of her music career...up to today).

You can't just look at the DCI tour these days and bemoan the losses. The competition world of HS band FAR outstrips what drum corps was ever able to provide, and for more members nationwide.

HS band is (or was,lol) a different activity in my humble opinion.

Two Camps

I think some folks see drum corps as simply a musical enterprise and they are interested in using any tool available in order to 'improve' the activity. These folks are not opposed to amps, synths, woodwinds, etc., as long as the 'artistic vision' is not hampered. They believe drum and bugle corps is simply another form of marching band. To them it is an artform that should have no limitations.

The other crowd, of which I am a member, sees drum corps as a distinctive activity and believes the brass (preferably in G)/percussion format should not be tampered with at all. This group does not see drum corps as related to marching band except in the most broad sense. In fact, I think most folks from this group would argue that drum corps provided a unique experience.

These two viewpoints are difficult to reconcile.

My question is this: Considering all of the options available for group 1 (marching band, WGI, DCI), why do they seem so intent to ruin the last bastion of brass & percussion?

HS band is (or was,lol) a different activity in my humble opinion.

Two Camps

I think some folks see drum corps as simply a musical enterprise and they are interested in using any tool available in order to 'improve' the activity. These folks are not opposed to amps, synths, woodwinds, etc., as long as the 'artistic vision' is not hampered. They believe drum and bugle corps is simply another form of marching band. To them it is an artform that should have no limitations.

The other crowd, of which I am a member, sees drum corps as a distinctive activity and believes the brass (preferably in G)/percussion format should not be tampered with at all. This group does not see drum corps as related to marching band except in the most broad sense. In fact, I think most folks from this group would argue that drum corps provided a unique experience.

These two viewpoints are difficult to reconcile.

My question is this: Considering all of the options available for group 1 (marching band, WGI, DCI), why do they seem so intent to ruin the last bastion of brass & percussion?

in short........because they can. people are like sheep. they can be led around how ever you want to. you see that every day in our country. those in camp # 2 are like cats. we can't be herded around.............and camp # 1 dosen't like it.

When you have the same people who teach junior corps, WGI, marching band and DCA corps, you see the want for the cross-over. Camp2 members aren't the ones being hired as instructors, Camp1 members are.