Do you like the Blue Devil's show?

Do you like the Blue Devil's show?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Blue Devil's show?

• Yes
    • No

I like it but the icing on the cake would be to end it with more La Suerte.

I do prefer 2006 through 2009 over this year's show. This show is great live but I am constantly listening to shows on my Ipod and this year is just very tough to listen to without having all of the amazing visual elements going on.

PS. NUMBER 14!!! WOOOO!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, I do not doubt they are earning their score... I believe the kids are executing the snot out of that program, I'm just not a fan of the program yet, at all. I have no issues with BD winning another title, I want the title to retain its meaning by going to the corps who best marches and plays their program with a sufficient level of demand taken into account as well.

Overall the top 12 is pretty #### impressive this year! Many thanks to all the kids keeping this activity alive!

:thumbup:

This man from Vanguard is far from crass

he presents his opinion with style and class.

G

I do not like them in a box.

I do not like them with a fox.

I will not eat them in a house.

I do not like them with a mouse.

I do not like them here or there.

I do not like them ANYWHERE!

If you can do this to Fox in Socks, I'll pay real money.

Undefeated yes we are

four other corps are not that far

try and try and try real hard

our talent, DCP will just discard

our drill is simple, so they say

now they claim we cant even play

our colorguard is not exempt

is their no end to this contempt

Our seasons over now on to nats

too bad DCP ignores our stats

and in the end it doesnt matter

the lady singing cant get any fatter

G

Win.

A story concerning reactions to BD:

My mother came over to dinner last Friday and I asked her if she would like me to run a few DC shows for her, as she had not seen any yet this year. Understand, she is 82 and has been a drum corps fan for many years (she and my father took me to shows when I was just a youngin back in the 50s. We lived in northern NJ and she was a big Cadets fan). I hooked my laptop up to my big screen, pumped the sound through the stereo system, and ran the VODs from Atlanta for her.

I ran BD first, as we have lived in the Bay Area since the early 60s and she has often attended local BD and SCV shows. I was interested in seeing what her reaction might be (fully expecting her to be not so keen on the show, thinking it to be "too out there" for drum corps. She watched it intently. When it was over she commented that REALLY liked it; and that it was one of the most unique shows she could remember seeing. But it was her next comment that caught me aback. She said that she imagined that this show probably went over pretty well with "older" drum corps fans whose "formative years" would have included the modern jazz era of the 50s, but that younger fans would probably "not get it"! LOL - somehow this was not the reaction that I had expected!

I played a number of the other VODs. She seemed to like a number of them, but after we were finished she commented that she was struck by the fact that having seen the BD show first, she found herself thinking that "I've seen this before" while watching most of the other shows.

I certainly wouldn't try to draw any conclusions about BDs show based on my mom's reactions, but her comments did make me stop and remind myself that one shouldn't assume that a person's reactions can be automatically predicted by their demographics, and that individual tastes and preferences in the arts are exactly that - the personal reactions of the individual.

Personally, there are parts I like and parts I don't like. But in general I like it....

...But I'd rather see another corps win. :thumbup:

exactly.

This is the most interesting post I've read this season ... why?

I was sitting in the stands in Denver behind a local elderly couple who were very drum corp savvy. After BD was done I was talking with them and they thought the music was "outstanding" and "had a great melody", and their marching and show design were "superb".

We should always listen to our elders! :thumbup:

A story concerning reactions to BD:

My mother came over to dinner last Friday and I asked her if she would like me to run a few DC shows for her, as she had not seen any yet this year. Understand, she is 82 and has been a drum corps fan for many years (she and my father took me to shows when I was just a youngin back in the 50s. We lived in northern NJ and she was a big Cadets fan). I hooked my laptop up to my big screen, pumped the sound through the stereo system, and ran the VODs from Atlanta for her.

I ran BD first, as we have lived in the Bay Area since the early 60s and she has often attended local BD and SCV shows. I was interested in seeing what her reaction might be (fully expecting her to be not so keen on the show, thinking it to be "too out there" for drum corps. She watched it intently. When it was over she commented that REALLY liked it; and that it was one of the most unique shows she could remember seeing. But it was her next comment that caught me aback. She said that she imagined that this show probably went over pretty well with "older" drum corps fans whose "formative years" would have included the modern jazz era of the 50s, but that younger fans would probably "not get it"! LOL - somehow this was not the reaction that I had expected!

I played a number of the other VODs. She seemed to like a number of them, but after we were finished she commented that she was struck by the fact that having seen the BD show first, she found herself thinking that "I've seen this before" while watching most of the other shows.

I certainly wouldn't try to draw any conclusions about BDs show based on my mom's reactions, but her comments did make me stop and remind myself that one shouldn't assume that a person's reactions can be automatically predicted by their demographics, and that individual tastes and preferences in the arts are exactly that - the personal reactions of the individual.

But it was her next comment that caught me aback. She said that she imagined that this show probably went over pretty well with "older" drum corps fans whose "formative years" would have included the modern jazz era of the 50s, but that younger fans would probably "not get it"!

How ironic.

My mom (70) remembers 20s-50s jazz, and those were always the shows she would like when I tried inflicting drum corps on her. I'd be curious to see what she'd think of BD this year.

I used to love BD when they played jazz. This years BD show makes my brain hurt. I really dont understand how & why music like this is chosen for a Drum & Bugle corps field show. How cool would it be to see BD go vintage next year with the old tuxedo unis & Channel One Suite?

How about this...DCI designates a season where every corps goes vintage.