Allentown

before I get to the corps, a few topics to address.

I think my views on electronics are well know to anyone reading here. However there is a time and place and way to voice those views, and what I will not do is yell like some ######## in the stands.

However, said ######## was about 6 rows behind me last night, and was quite vocal after Teal was done. Myself, my wife, and several others were very quick to let him have it too. My own words were' Like it or not, do not take it out on the kids". Many around voiced the same thing, and trust me, they were mostly prefacing that with "we hate it too but....". There's a right way to do it and a wrong way, and you sir jackass, were the wrong way. I dont care if you feel it's crap or not, what you did was wrong. And if you go to Indy, pray you don;t sit near me.

2.....why on Earth were lines at the concession stands SO LONG??? Friday i stood in line for 40 minutes for 2 bottles of water. at the start of the show they were telling people they were out of certain foods already. I missed a corps because of it and I was ######.

3...I know some fans are "honks, Homers" and borgs". I get it, it's funny. However, don't try and educate everyone around about how awesome your ####### corps is. Yes, we know how many rookies your corps has. We heard it all night. Yes we know how hard the kids work. Allentown is one of the more educated crowds around.

And please, if you're going to sit there all night and spout the company line, have the class to stay and watch the last competing corps, and not get up and say "ok, they did great, I don't need to see (insert name here), no way they can touch us."

cause they did. By, oh, a point.

anyways...

as always, set up preshow in "pineville, Ron Beyer mayor. many great laughs shared with many old friends. you know you're diehards when Saturday you have food catered.

Friday:

Pioneer.....sadly, because of the slow lines, I was only able to see yo from field level at the 20 yard line. None of the vocal stuff bothered me, as I didn't find it preachy at all. After all, many of the best drum corps music has had religious backgrounds.I think, from what I saw, the kids were a given show maybe too hard visually, but musically within their grasp. I can't make ensemble comments, but at field level, feet didnt come thru the horns down by me, and the kids had more poise than I am used to seeing from Pio. I think the new team there is slowly but surely turning some corners. IMO, a few years ago, this make semis, but the talent pool is so much deeper now. I apologize for missing you from the seats, I'll rectify that Thursday.

Cascades.....my biggest issue with the show was the concept. It's a picnic and a storm breaks out. However, it seemed far too focused on the storm, and not the picnic IMO. I think bringing the two together ore would have really helped. Some nice musical moments. At times, from my seats half way up the bottom section ont he 50, balance issues seemed to happen. That said, i think the kids have done some nice things with what they were given, and like with Pio, in a year where the talent isnt so deep, you could be placing better.

Spirit...also some pit balance issues, but they semed to adjust. I like the concept, I get the concept, and the vocals didn't seem as overbearing live as they did on the FN all summer. Really creative ways to show the icon being built and thru the stages of creation. IMO, scored too low, as they really didn't have any glaring weaknesses. Yeah it's not Georgia, but this show was conceived well, staged well, and the guard was a highlight. musically no major issues, and I'd have em over....

The Troopers. Wanted? A theme that's easy to grasp. Aside from the beginning and ending, I didn't get it. the kids play and move well, but I'm not sure they get what they are to portray thematically either. Not a fan of the new uniform tops either. Definitely a semis candidate, but I have them under Spirit as well as

The Colts. the main character was a head scratcher. musically I liked the ideas used to portray the concept, but I think visually the colors themselves should have been more pronounced given the amound of red on the uniform. The kids do a good job moving and playing, but at times it seemed too safe. I'm not asking for a Cavies drill or BD drum book, but I never felt the kids were really pushed with what they could do with what they were given. I don't hate the show, and it'll get some cd love, but it didn't really reach out and grab me..and I'm not sure why it beat...

Academy. I love this show. I feel the much ballyoooed guard costuming is perfect for the music. musically a very strong corps. visually, IMO, much better than what they are getting numbers wise. Really, this show drew me in right away, even with what I felt were some pit balance issues. I wasn't sure where to look next because I wanted to take it all in. I dont think they can catch up to make a run at 12th, but I don't feel they should be lower than 13th. Very fun show, very captivatiing, and I can't wait to see it again this week.

INT: way too long

Glassmen: Love the show. Maybe at times too subtle in terms of "oomph" factor, but well done. I like how visually and musically they communicate all of the various religious symbols into the show, tho at times I felt the prerecorded samples covered up some nice music and drumming behind them. Percussion has a nice aggressive feel, but yet it's a controlled agression. Loved the dance work in the guard...very expressive, and yeah I'm biased, I know some guard staff and students, but i can't wait to get a2nd read on this show from a higher vantage.

Blue Stars:

#### me!!!! This corps is WAY better than the numbers state, and the Fan Network does this show no justice. the guard stuff with no hands...wow! the drumline? wow! Last year I felt the tables were too much clutter. This year I felt the boxes were used wonderfully. Brass had serious power. the concept is crystal clear, and IMO, this show has a shot at usrprising a team with helmets and a team that wears red in the next week. First corps to really get the crowd going.

Crown: online, this show kept leaving me wanting something. I now know what it was....the opportunity to see them live. what a brass sound...Cavies beat them in brass????? Percussion not as bad as i was led to believe. That said...at spots I got lost. It seemed some ideas took too long to develop, but when they arrived I was back in. My biggest issue now is the rewind...seemed abruptly placed in a way that felt forced, and took too long to do. That said, when they hit Promise of Living, Oh hell yeah. Awesome power with the field coverage, and yeah, maybe the guard did too many sequentials, but to me they made sense when done. Oh yeah, they got some thunderous goo moments.

Cavaliers: My biggest issue was at times the balance up front was hurtful, especially with some of the prerecorded stuff. Drumline played really well, and that pit is, IMO, among the top 3 in the game today. it's taken me a while to fully buy the concept, but this is the first time in a while I can say melodically, I love the cavaliers. brassline has some power, so I was really let down when the trio of screamers stepped up to the microphones. I think some of the samples work better for indoor than outdoor, but the judges seem to be digging it so whatever. still a fun show, and yes, this is your rifle. Any show that combines Full Metal Jacket quotes with Stripes is ok in my book.

BD. I've been vocal that well, yeah it aint all that. And in many ways, IMO it isn't. But I will say this...it's performed well. Really well. I was pleased to see on the recap if they aren't performer over the book on all the sheets, on some of those they aren't they are at least tied. The mirros make for some really cool effects as I have said all along...gave you a really good look at how full the stands were. Staging wise, with all of that out there, my only real concern was about halfway thru when the upper brass is carrying the tune, they are behind the mirrors, and makes it hard to see. pit very loud, especially the drumset and the bass synth. I could feel my seat vibrate on some of the walking lines.

But to those that say they move and play a lot...look closer. Some people are running....but not the ones with the main lines. ( oh and btw battery, thanks for getting Pearl. you sound 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than you did on DieNasty). As I said before, they do enough to show they do it well, and they do do it well. I just think they need to do more of it. Musically...oh they have power. but I'm pretty sure, past the day the cd's come, I'll be skipping listening to this show. They're good, as of now they should win, but if this is where drum corps is heading, I'm very worried for drum corps.

Saturday...Pineville part two with catering after a day of checking out some rehearsals. beef brisket won.

Mandarins: reading the book, I liked the idea. However it came off as very safe and monotone, with the vocal samples at times covering up some nice percussive moments. I wanted to like the show, but nothing really pulled me in.I'm hoping that's changed Thursday.

Teal Sound: regardless of what I said above about the ######## yelling from the stands, I truly feel the guitar takes away from the show, and at times it came across as the bass player was doubling tuba parts, and was way overpowering them. I think the show has possibilities, and is a great first offering in WC....without the guitar. It' sjust not a smooth transition between that and the brass and percussion. Way overpowering too, covering up the corps behind them. pit book seemed awfully thin...maybe parts removed or given to the guitar, and synth, I dunno, but it seemed every time I checked em out, they were on cymbals. I'd love to hear this show without the guitars, because, IMO, I think the score would go up. A lot.

Surf......not your average Americana show, and that's ok. I'm pretty sure the synth wasn't working, as some holes in the show seemed very thin. Percussion seemed to have a rough night, but the potential is there. Bari soloist is really good, and with a few days left, and some cleaning and a more confident run, I'm wondering if Teal and Mandarins especially should be concerned.

Pacific Crest...I liked the show, and the first hornline to really throw out some power. Percussion seems young and has consistency issues, but when they are on, they are doing well. Felt bad for the tenor player who's rack snapped during the show...at first i thought hwas a maze character, until I realized he was holding his drums and heading for the sideline. Some really cool visual moments tying into the Maze theme, and I think further tweaking on that this week can help. Maybe a little flat, so I say let the horses loose this because you really should be nipping at the heels of the...

Crossmen. I've been vocal about my dislike of..well everything they have offered since the move. Seeing them live changed that somewhat. The intro was a good idea to the First Circle theme, and Heat of the Day had some of the groove needed for the tune, but at times seemed too repetitive. Loved the minauno quote, and the ballad was pretty, but never really reached what I call optimal impact. First Circle to me wandered. My biggest complaint with the show is an idea or phrase gets started, and instead of finishing the thought, we rush thru to get a standstill/loud chord. ...in fact I think the GE music numbers back me up there. I so wanted to like the show, as I love metheny...but metheny needs a certain groove, a feel, and while the performer does provide some of that, the arrangment must as well, and here it does not deliver. if PC cleans up and fixes their own GE music issues.....

Blue Knights: this woke the crowd up! build into the opening hit of Farandole was sweet! the guard of course is always a star here, and really my only concerns is at times the brahms stuff felt like it dragged a little too long. Nimrod very cool, and I liked their version better than Crowns.

Madison. Allentown is a crowd made for this show. I loved it online, I love it more live ( even if the tuba stuff is doubled up front early on). Really, add more power to the opening hit, and this show will have the Rondo quote for all time "THIS PLACE IS ELECTRIC!!!" Seriously, a cool update on two Scouts classic tunes, yet contemporary to not be in 15th place. New uniforms work, guard stuff "builds the brand" well. that whole series of drill moves leading up to the fleur de lis is really cool, and of course you have to love 20 contras. First corps to get the crowd up all weekend before the last bar or two. IMO, drum score is all that is keeping them from passing BK, and I'm not sure why it isn';t now.

Boston....love the show a lot. Yes, Conquest is in ( I grunted!) but Shosti's 10th is very cool. early on i thought the ballad took a wek to get thru, but live it flowed better. The throne is used well, and the whole opening squence is really a cool way to set the stage. I feel like I should say more here, but I need to see it again.

SCV:. I do like it, but it does seem like they took this music and tried to fit it into last year's formula, and I think the slow build is holding it back. Some performance issues in brass and percussion noticable, and uncharacteristic. Pit at times too loud, and some thunderous goo. i do appreciate that they aren't trying to be Star ripoffs, but I wonder maybe if they tried too hard?

Phantom.....19.7 in drums? Uh, yes. Musically avery pretty show, and different from the usual Phantom type of offering, but well done. visually..well...it seems to me they have what I call Myron's disease. it's too hard at times, and will never get the credit because it just can't be cleaned enough. the ending and entracne worked great, even without a tunnel to run into. the soloist had a frack or 3, but projects so well from way back field...no mic needed! did I mention the percussion got 19.7? Pit to die for, and Rennicks bass stuff is always so sweet.,..he knows how to make an extended bass run fit under the horn book in a way that is musical. If they can clean the feet..who knows.

Oh and make the solost much more fluid in his emoting when he's in character. he comes off as really stiff.

The Cadets. I dont think Geoffrey is as bad as many say, tho at times it does seem a bit much. new guard uniforms work. glad some of the vocal are out, and i chucked at "right, right, right left right". Procession works really well, and the pacing of winding the soldiers up works well. I do feel Schol For Scandal loses focus partway in, and drags. drum solo...well...it's a cool efect, but it's not what other lines are offering in terms of meat, and has a little fuzz. ending is very cool, and I loved Patrick presenting Geoffrey with his hat. Maybe too syrupy to some fans, but, IMO, it could be 06-08, and thankfully it isn't. Oh yeah thunderous goo at the end. I also thought the low end was gooey at times.

Bluecoats....wow. Just wow. I wasn't sure who won drums, as this line is smoking, tho top end of the keyboards seemed really hot when it came to balance. I do feel some of the samples are overpowering some music things going on, and if they teak and adjust that and keep cleaning...well, Competitive Inertia could be thrown out the window. It has tkane 10 years since they got back into finals to really get "there"...and they are there. hey still need to clean, but if anyone can catch the other Blue Team, Bloo has the best shot to do it.

Bridgemen.....it's a shame so many people bolted. Musically I felt the show was good, and the drill looked good. But....despite the clever intro abut the G7 chord and the Amazing Fall From Grace...it missed the Bridgemen Schtick. during the glory years, the calling card wass well time humor with a solid drum corps behind it. Well, there was a solid crum corps, but the schtick was missing, and I know several around me felt as I did...we clapped, but not like we wanted too. I will say this...very interesting treatment on the tune I call "Bolero of Make believe".

now please, for the Love of God, will you PLEASE do the Civil War Suite.

there ya have it. agree, disagree, flame, call me a hater, I don't care. I look forward to seeing everyone live from a higher..well ok, maybe 8 rows higher...vanatage point Thursday afternoon.....with an open roof i pray

Great review! I was there but you cleared some things up for me. thanks again

After seeing Crown three times this weekend, I have to 100% agree with your thoughts on the rewind. It is completely forced and seems as if the design team had the idea for this show and up until now not a clue what to do with the ending, so they reached in their back pocket and reused everything they've already done for the past 5 years. I love Promise of Living just as much as the next guy (probably more), but seriously Crown, you couldn't come up with an ending for 2010 that was completely new and original? It was totally disappointing to me.

I like that they throw in Promise of Living...it's just the transition to it that leaves me confused. Hopefully with some work this week and feedback from the judges, it can be more seamless.

Really great review! Go Bluecoats!!

This was the review I was waiting for all season. Thanks.

Best review of the season. Thanks Jeff.

give me web access later this week and game on!

• 2 weeks later...
Bridgemen.....it's a shame so many people bolted. Musically I felt the show was good, and the drill looked good. But....despite the clever intro abut the G7 chord and the Amazing Fall From Grace...it missed the Bridgemen Schtick. during the glory years, the calling card wass well time humor with a solid drum corps behind it. Well, there was a solid crum corps, but the schtick was missing, and I know several around me felt as I did...we clapped, but not like we wanted too. I will say this...very interesting treatment on the tune I call "Bolero of Make believe".

now please, for the Love of God, will you PLEASE do the Civil War Suite.

Our off the line is called "Lombero", which you should be able to decipher based on your name for it.

I'd love to play the CW Suite, but I think we already have other plans for next year. We do play Battle Hymn as a parade tune (and occassionally break it out as an encore). Oddly, Yankee Doodle really should be considered a CW tune, it was the most widely played song on both sides. US Grant, who was completely tone deaf, once commented that he only knew 2 songs, one was Yankee Doodle and the other wasn't.