The World Series of Drum Corps

Clearly the presence of these proposals indicates that the World Series corps believe they are capable of earning more on their own than what DCI is currently providing them. The backlash against this proposal indicates that everyone else knows those seven corps are right.

In the short term, yes, the G7 could earn more money on their own... at the expense of every other corps in DCI. Long term if DCI falls apart or if most of the non-G7 World Class corps collapse, the G7 will have less and less of a base of talent, fans, and recognition to build upon. But who knows, maybe it could work for 10 or 20 years. Maybe they'll become the next Medieval Times.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly the presence of these proposals indicates that the World Series corps believe they are capable of earning more on their own than what DCI is currently providing them.

Then why aren't they going off on their own? This proposal is just another attempt to leech off DCI's established marketing, website, judges, tour, event partners, sponsors and office support. Should they actually have to provide these items for themselves, that changes the cost equation dramatically.

The backlash against this proposal indicates that everyone else knows those seven corps are right.

Far from it. At this point, though, I give the G7 better odds of making it on their own (truly "on their own"), vs. the activity making it under either of the G7-leech-off-DCI proposals.

Clearly the presence of these proposals indicates that the World Series corps believe they are capable of earning more on their own than what DCI is currently providing them. The backlash against this proposal indicates that everyone else knows those seven corps are right.

Not at all. The impetus for the rejection of this by the other Corps is not motivated by what it does for these G-7 Corps, one way or the other. Their motivatiion is driven by how they perceive it effects them both financially, and compettively in the future. The non G-7 Corps naturally are looking at this thru the prism of their own self interests. Keep in mind that this scheme was cooked up behind closed doors and without their involvement at all. It was thrust upon them without their input or prior knowledge. Whether the non G-7 Corps believe the G-7 Corps can make money on this, is not what drives the non G-7 Corps response to this at all.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe this shortsighted move will strengthen them to the point where they'll feel ok jumping ship with their own product. Both will compete for awhile, but ultimately i think it could kill everything. The g7 need their 'opening acts' just as much. And my BIGGEST problem with this isnt giving those that perform some reward. Its that its throwing what goes on on the field out the window and just arbitrarily deciding that 7 (why 7?) groups, and only these 7 groups, regardless of on field performance,

Im not necessarily opposed to re-jiggering the payout structure for top 6 vs finalist vs semifinalst vs quarterfinalist, etc. But decide it on the field, not by some arbitrary measure that appears more based on erecting future barriers to entry into this group.

In reality i think this wouldve made a lot more sense as a wider proposal. If you really want to define 'elite' you probably should go out to top 12. Beyond there theres a precipitous drop (especially as you go towards those that dont make semis- a lot of those who would still be in open class had the upper corps not made moves to kill that off as well), but you can't tell me that all of those in the top 12 right now dont draw crowds.

Edited by AlexL

Interesting that the qualifications for inclusion went from top 8 for 3 consecutive years to top 7, right as a certain non-g7 corps is about to meet that threshold... Confirming what many thought the first time... they'll never *really* let anyone join their club, this is about locking out new competition.

The qualification went from top eight for three years to top seven for two. Perhaps that does leave the Blue Stars out for now, but you'll also notice that there is no language to state that participation in the World Series will be determined by the DCI board. A top seven finish for two years is the only requirement described, meaning the Blue Stars are entirely capable of earning their participation on the field.

The qualification went from top eight for three years to top seven for two. Perhaps that does leave the Blue Stars out for now, but you'll also notice that there is no language to state that participation in the World Series will be determined by the DCI board. A top seven finish for two years is the only requirement described, meaning the Blue Stars are entirely capable of earning their participation on the field.

Until they change their qualifications again, when blue stars or anyone else are on the verge of joining their exclusive club.

Again.. why 7? Some years its only top 5 that are the draw and theres a big drop after then. Some years its top 8. Some years, like this year and last, you have a top 12 that is very entertaining top to bottom. And why *these* 7. Crown and Bloo are newcomers here relatively. If we're talking crowd draw, why isnt madison in here? They draw a huge crowd, even in their down years.

Edited by AlexL

It's not clear to me that anything about this proposal requires approval from DCI. It certainly isn't phrased that way. Maybe we don't have enough context about what this document actually is.

I 'm no lawyer. But it seems to me that the G-7 Corps can not act as a distinct collective group and negotiate their own agreements with show sponsors unless those negotiations follow the expressed and understood policies and guidelines of DCI. I'd imagine they'd be plenty of things found by DCI that will be in violation of previous agreed with policies and procedures, quite apart from whether or not this particular document needs to be proposed and voted on.

Then why aren't they going off on their own?

If these seven corps split and form their own organization, then they would compete directly with what's left of DCI for the best markets, venues, and Saturday night shows. That would certainly be more harmful to the remaining corps than anything contained in the World Series concept. The World Series idea strikes me a plausible compromise, one that allows DCI to continue in the same shape and form.

I read nothing in the proposal that is directly harmful to any other corps. The only way to claim this proposal is indirectly harmful is by way of saying, as one poster did, that fewer shows where the Mandarins compete with the Cavaliers is less revenue for the Mandarins. I'm not unsympathetic to that complaint, but in making that case you've flatly conceded the World Series corps' point that they are the draw.

What?

Clearly, fewer shows for the Mandarins deprives them of direct revenue-earning opportunities via appearance fees....but it also deprives them of the exposure they need to get a fair read from the judges and the opportunity to reach more fans. It is a vicious circle, where less shows for "lesser corps" creates a self-perpetuating disparity within DCI world-class.

Not to get too Rand-ian on you, but what claim does the Mandarins have on the Cavaliers continued presence other than "need"? Is the need of the Mandarins sufficient in itself to hamstring the Cavaliers into a specific business model for perpetuity? I say no, and I'd sure like to see a defense of that claim, if you can give it.

The Cavaliers are not locked into any specific business model, nor is any other DCI corps. They are free to leave DCI at any time. More importantly, they are free to run multiple programs, some within DCI and some elsewhere. If they are so capable of generating revenue independently, they should do so in the manner of Blast!, BD Entertainment, or the numerous drumlines performing at NFL, NBA and other sporting events. And once they do that, if they still want to run a DCI program too, they should do so in compliance and cooperation with DCI rules and policies.