The World Series of Drum Corps

The bolded part is everything. That alone will significantly hurt the smaller corps in the long run...... how can you not see that?

And yes, the Cavaliers do not need the Mandarins..... in the near future........ but as I've said many times..... without the "middle tier" drum corps, the top corps will soon find the members they get will not have near the experience level they currently have.

This opinion is fine, but the problem is that you have people arguing that the G7 are not the draw and then arguing that not having a G7 corps at some shows is going to hurt attendance.

You can't have it both ways

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who says this proposal won't have major effect on the non-G7 corps is not looking at the big picture..... specifically the touring model.

Beginning in mid-June, for the entire season, the G7 corps will have to be close together in geographical location.... beginning in Texas. Any other corps that wishes to participate in shows with G7 corps will have to drastically alter their schedule to follow around these top corps.

Look at it this way..... with the schedule they way they currently have it, this mean no G7 corps will be available for any early season show on the West Coast (unless the have them like June 10-11).

The way it is now, the current DCI tour, at least for the first half of the season is split up into 3 or so groups. Like in late June/early July the Cadets and Crown were in the east, the Cavaliers/Bluecoats were in the midwest and BD/SCV in the west. This kind of thing will not at all be possible. That means the area the G7 corps can compete in will have a significantly smaller geographical spread.

This seems very obvious to ..... why aren't others seeing it?

it's funny because the BD and SCV fans always complain about not getting to see their teams late in the season, all they have is the early part. I wonder how they feel now that their own "top" drum corps are giving them the middle finger.

One question........ Is it in the BOD's power to stop this? Could they legally tell the G7 corps that if they do this they can no longer be part of DCI?

I just can't see any of the other corps voting for something that would give them less money by allowing this to happen.... unless there is some legal thing that would allow G7 corps to file a lawsuit against DCI or something.

First, you'll need to explain what you mean by the DCI tour's predefined number of show dates.

If the DCI season starts on June 18 and ends on August 13, those dates and all the dates in between are the predefined show dates of that DCI season.

You seem to be under the belief that the World Series will be taking over existing shows and forcibly excluding the remaining corps from competing.

Well, that is exactly what will happen in the Charlotte area on July 31, 2011....and essentially what will happen in the Canton/Massillon/Akron area on August 3....and the DeKalb/Rockford, IL, area on July 18....

Everything I've read states that these 9 shows are to be held independent of the DCI schedule -

Are you being purposely obtuse, or do you really not grasp the concept that excluding 16 corps from these 9 events actually denies them performance opportunities? And that these 9 events are not in any way "independent" of the DCI schedule, as they follow the DCI tour like a shadow, and seize existing DCI tour dates/locations like Murfreesboro and the three I listed above?

uhhh what? i'm a madison fan but i disagree. wondering what the justification behind that statement is....please don't make it facebook friends :tongue:

Both the DCP poll here on another thread, and more importantly, the national audience reaction fom around the country, including Allentown, has the crowd's favorite Corps show this year to be that of the Madison Scouts. I'd say the Cavaliers would be a distant 2nd from the audiences I 've been at, and from the Fan Network observation after the show performances, particularly in the neutral site of Allentown, Pa.

This opinion is fine, but the problem is that you have people arguing that the G7 are not the draw and then arguing that not having a G7 corps at some shows is going to hurt attendance.

You can't have it both ways

Yes..... duh they are the draw. That is not the issue. Even if you are richer than everyone else, it doesn't mean you need to go out of your way to harm the poor. It is extremely unethical.

Breathing ... breathing ... in the vein of "outside audiences" and "active collaborations," perhaps this one? Or this? Maybe even this? For the leisure crowd ... and for head-to-head competition. For age-appropriate collaborations, if they should dane to "play" with Open Class corps, if they decided to play "nice," since the whole thing will move inside eventually, and finally, since this whole "concert" approach will likely flame out; this collaboration and venue.

LOL.

Tip of the hat there for putting it into perspective, David.

Although, you do make a point of a different kind: if this kind of stuff can get representation, tv time and, hell, even into Maxim magazine . . .then what is drum corps doing wrong? :tongue:

________________________________________________________________________________

My head was exploding from the public relations *farts* emanating from the proposal. Where's my matches?

One question........ Is it in the BOD's power to stop this? Could they legally tell the G7 corps that if they do this they can no longer be part of DCI?

I just can't see any of the other corps voting for something that would give them less money by allowing this to happen.... unless there is some legal thing that would allow G7 corps to file a lawsuit against DCI or something.

I assume everyone's tour has to be approved by DCI? So DCI (aka the other corps) could just say no?

If the DCI season starts on June 18 and ends on August 13, those dates and all the dates in between are the predefined show dates of that DCI season.

Well, that is exactly what will happen in the Charlotte area on July 31, 2011....and essentially what will happen in the Canton/Massillon/Akron area on August 3....and the DeKalb/Rockford, IL, area on July 18....

Are you being purposely obtuse, or do you really not grasp the concept that excluding 16 corps from these 9 events actually denies them performance opportunities? And that these 9 events are not in any way "independent" of the DCI schedule, as they follow the DCI tour like a shadow, and seize existing DCI tour dates/locations like Murfreesboro and the three I listed above?

But they don't follow the current DCI tour like a shadow. No early season West Coast for one thing. And it is not just those 9 dates..... like I said, since the G7 will have to be together the whole tour, they will be unavailable for any regional shows for the first 2-3 weeks like we currently have. So basically they are not screwing over the other corps for 9 evenings..... they are screwing them over for half of the season.