The World Series of Drum Corps

Just to catch me up without reading 9 pages of posts, is the WSoDC a DCP proposal or from the G7 themselves?

it is a leaked document from a G7 MEMBER

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. A while back, I watched the "Brass Roots" video in which the surviving directors who were part of the original group that created DCI held a round-table discussion and talked about their reasons for wanting to form their own administrative structure and competitive system:

1. Creation of standardized rules for all the contests (rather than the conflicting ones that existed at the time between the VFW and American Legion contests), and a truly nationwide/international (at least in the U.S. and Canada) schedule and touring model, à la Troopers, for the season's contests.

2. Others were making money off of the corps, but they weren't getting a dime of it.

3. "We're the act."

Sound familiar?

Now, I can understand and empathize with all three. But it's interesting that they said, simply, that the corps were the act. Now, seven (or six, depending on whom you ask) corps are saying, "We're the act." Subtle, but it's a huge distinction.

Edited by byline

If the G7 is as strong as they claim, why would they need to piggy back their show dates around DCI events?

Clearly they are looking to use DCI to help establish their brand and then break away completely.

exactly. they know going entirely on their own is risking disaster

Allentown will be August 5-6. Not sure why you are saying it doesn't fit

I didn't see it on the G7 schedule...so I presumed no Allentown...but what you're implying is the G7 corps will join the non-G7 corps for Allentown between Akron and Annapolis?

and who will judge that ...G7 judges (are there G7 judges?) or DCI judges?..or are they one in the same?

Edited by G-Rott

Clearly the presence of these proposals indicates that the World Series corps believe they are capable of earning more on their own than what DCI is currently providing them. The backlash against this proposal indicates that everyone else knows those seven corps are right.

except right now, at least 2 corps not only could outscore G7 scores, but several are getting more rave reviews from fans

It's funny. A while back, I watched the "Brass Roots" video in which the surviving directors who were part of the original group that created DCI held a round-table discussion and talked about their reasons for wanting to form their own administrative structure and competitive system:

1. Creation of standardized rules for all the contests (rather than the conflicting ones that existed at the time between the VFW and American Legion contests), and a truly nationwide/international (at least in the U.S. and Canada) schedule and touring model, à la Troopers, for the season's contests.

2. Others were making money off of the corps, but they weren't getting a dime of it.

3. "We're the act."

Sound familiar?

Now, I can understand and empathize with all three. But it's interesting that they said, simply, that the corps were the act. Now, seven (or six, depending on whom you ask) corps are saying, "We're the act." Subtle, but it's a huge distinction.

You are right but watch how you are ignored with the statement or people will say that WELLLLLL it wasnt excluding anyone, which it kind of did, you had no rights unless you made it in. Alot is the same just with a 2010 twist. People will defend the " Brotherhood " thing and alot of what I read from people it certainly is selective memory. But I guess we all do that when we look back to our youth. Wasnt it all wonderful, better, more entertaining, cheaper, better choices, more tradition, Well I guess todays kid will do the same. ANd was it all those things , well many of them sure but it wasnt all roses either. Its all Psych 101.

I actually agree with you there. Personally I think this proposal could be extended to include Boston and Blue Stars quite easily, perhaps the Madison Scouts if they continue showing the improvement they've shown this season.

yet that then cuts into the G7 profit.

be realistic here. that's not gonna fly

I didn't see it on the G7 schedule...so I presumed no Allentown...but what you're implying is the G7 corps will join the non-G7 corps for Allentown between Akron and Annapolis?

Yes. That is what the proposal says. The G7 corps will still participate in DCI shows in addition to the the G7 shows.

You are right but watch how you are ignored with the statement or people will say that WELLLLLL it wasnt excluding anyone, which it kind of did, you had no rights unless you made it in. Alot is the same just with a 2010 twist. People will defend the " Brotherhood " thing and alot of what I read from people it certainly is selective memory. But I guess we all do that when we look back to our youth. Wasnt it all wonderful, better, more entertaining, cheaper, better choices, more tradition, Well I guess todays kid will do the same. ANd was it all those things , well many of them sure but it wasnt all roses either. Its all Psych 101.

Okay.... let's say for argumentative purposes, that this G7 thing is exactly like the forming of DCI in 1971.

So What?

What does that prove?...... it only proves that it would most likely kill off all the other corps in the long run. Is that a good thing? Will the activity be better if there is only 7 junior drum corps left?

And it's interesting to note that apparently Don Warren and The Cavaliers are back on board. Either that, or six other corps have gotten even more audacious in speaking for The Cavaliers.

...from what I understand. They didnt/dont even know about it...as of Sunday, anyway.

G