If G7 breaks away

Personally, as a performer, if G7 were to break away, I would simply not audition for them. And I know several others who feel the same way.

Which brings me to: Will the G7 corps talent go down if students wish to stay in DCI? If others feel as I do, and if I were of the 2000 auditioning for a corps, I would take my talent to Drum Corps.

Which also means, more corps will have that level of competition, because the students will be going to (as of now), not top 7 corps, therefore you will see better products and talent from all around.

Which means, more people will go to see the good corps, not the G7.

And eventually, maybe G7 would beg to come back.

Maybe we would see a growth in the lower tier corps, and a growth in Dci.

Or Maybe it's the opposite, but I would simply boycott the G7.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they leave and come crawling back.

They can start in open class until DCI checks them out to see if they are responsible enough to join world class.

But no... you're not bitter. :tongue:

Personally, as a performer, if G7 were to break away, I would simply not audition for them. And I know several others who feel the same way.

Which brings me to: Will the G7 corps talent go down if students wish to stay in DCI? If others feel as I do, and if I were of the 2000 auditioning for a corps, I would take my talent to Drum Corps.

Which also means, more corps will have that level of competition, because the students will be going to (as of now), not top 7 corps, therefore you will see better products and talent from all around.

This is an important post because it verifies, in a small and maybe anecdotal way, that the Vaticinate study is valid. These potential MM's, and presumably many more, want to belong to DCI, not a particular corps.

I understand the cynic is going to ask, if the OP were good enough to make a G7 corps that he/she would be marching this year (and, presumably, is not).

Still, I don't think the sentiment is limited to the unqualified potential MMs.

This is an important post because it verifies, in a small and maybe anecdotal way, that the Vaticinate study is valid. These potential MM's, and presumably many more, want to belong to DCI, not a particular corps.

I understand the cynic is going to ask, if the OP were good enough to make a G7 corps that he/she would be marching this year (and, presumably, is not).

Still, I don't think the sentiment is limited to the unqualified potential MMs.

There are always first year members. Always will be . If not then...

The talent auditioning for G7 corps has to go down because of all of this. Ask yourself two questions:

1. Will any people audition for a G7 corps who would have otherwise auditioned somewhere else if not for the G7 proposal?

2. Will any people decide to not audition for a G7 corps who would have otherwise auditioned if not for the G7 proposal?

The answer to question one I would think would be none or very few. Maybe some kids would think DCI is a sinking ship and only audition for G7.... I don't know. But for question 2 we already have evidence there are some students who will choose to go elsewhere. Any auditionee the G7 looses because of the proposal that they don't replace with a "new" auditionee is a net loss for them and a net gain for the rest of the activity.

I actually don't think that talent would go down on all. They've ran the numbers, all of these top corps have a huge majority of their members coming from other corps. That won't change. And tons and tons of members, myself included, go to a corps because of the corps. I went to SCV because it's SCV, not DCI. Most people will go to the corps, not the organization as a whole.

I actually don't think that talent would go down on all. They've ran the numbers, all of these top corps have a huge majority of their members coming from other corps. That won't change. And tons and tons of members, myself included, go to a corps because of the corps. I went to SCV because it's SCV, not DCI. Most people will go to the corps, not the organization as a whole.

Yes most people... but not all people. If you play out all scenarios, it seems extremely likely to me that there will at least be some people auditioning at other corps that would have gone to G7 before the proposal. Even if it is only 50-60 kids spread out through all the G7s, that is talent they are losing.... and talent the others are gaining.

We'll see how all this plays out.... but the motive behind it all is still extremely confusing.

Yes most people... but not all people. If you play out all scenarios, it seems extremely likely to me that there will at least be some people auditioning at other corps that would have gone to G7 before the proposal. Even if it is only 50-60 kids spread out through all the G7s, that is talent they are losing.... and talent the others are gaining.

We'll see how all this plays out.... but the motive behind it all is still extremely confusing.

Yeah, guess you're right, but 50 or 60 kids over the other 17 corps really isn't that much, and if those kids aren't auditioning for the G7, that leaves 50 or 60 spots in the top 7 for them to fill with whatever talent they want to. They will find the kids, one way or another.

I'm actually excited to see how the next season plays out, especially as a member and performer. It will be interesting for sure.

I'm in your exact boat. My plans to one day audition for Phantom Regiment will vanish if they leave. Spirit will (hopefully) be my corps home.