If G7 breaks away

I wouldnt be the most happy if my Blue Stars were in on this as well (the whole thing stinks) but at the same time, i wouldnt blame them for choosing that side if it came down to it. If they had to choose between joining the g7 and leading the remainder of dci, theyd have to evaluate the future from there.

Edited by AlexL

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My information is that neither BAC nor Bluestars want anything to do with this elitist, divisive chopping up of the activity....and I think they same can be said for BK, Madison and Troopers.

I'm really at the point where I'm thinking the DCI BOD should just say to the G7, "spit or get off the pot!" There are alot of people out there who would view a Bluestars/Boston/Madison/BK/Troopers type of lineup as a pretty reasonable show....

Maybe it's time to say "You're with us, or against us!" to the GREEDY 7.

I think a division could really end up killing all sides.

I think a division could really end up killing all sides.

you could be right...for many reasons...the g7 are very arrogant for sure but others thinking the are the next big deal is just as arrogant i think. Everyone wants to be the big cheese....... but i do think you are right abd BOTH sides can suffer. It will certainly split the revnue from a very small following to begin with.

I think the bigger question is this .........................

How many people even realize this coup is going on?

In speaking with many alumni of corps I have marched with and with students I keep in contact with on facebook, they have no clue whatsoever with regards to G7, What it means, Why it's happening ......... etc etc etc.

How many high school or even college kids out there that are 1st year MM's will have any idea that the G7 corps will not be potentially competing in DCI?

(answer: I would guess less than 5% know of this)

How many corps directors and instructors are going to tell auditionee's that they will not be doing a DCI tour before, during or after the 1st audition camp?

(I really don't expect any of those corps to make a formal announcement prior to auditions ..... and how would they get the word out anyway? Other than returning members, everyone else will be clueless)

This will be a shock to the system, and alot of kids are going to be wasting audition fees on a corps that won't be doing what they really want to do ....... A FULL DCI TOUR with a chance at a DCI Championship experience.

When I see offseason membership numbers being posted with 60-80 rookies in a corps ....... sometimes 38 or 40 ........ those kids are going to be flat out lied to by omission of information prior to their arrival. I fully expect some FMM's to jump ship (because they do read DCP whether anyone wants to admit it or not :P ) .. and the rookie numbers will remain in the 60-100 area.

This will blow up in the G7's face ............... then they'll realize they aren't restricted to age limits anymore and go after pro's and ageouts. This would potentially put a dent in the DCA membership numbers.

Let them leave .. good riddance. There are still roughly 40 other corps associated with DCI .. .and with these corps gone I have a feeling the new board will look to foster regional growth and see an expansion in new and returning corps within a 5 year period. I'm sure the new board and voting membership will come up with a plan to fill out the schedule and have a championships that allows OC corps to move up and fill in the early performance order.

Much work to be done ... but well worth it!!!!!!!!

To the NEW DCI executive board of directors. I'll be happy to volunteer some of my time to set up a volunteer/intern program to assist in reorganizing regions, regional competition tours, seeding of new corps, hunting down instruments and uniforms for new corps, etc etc etc. My email is in my profile .. feel free to call upon me whenever you want the assistance.

I think the bigger question is this .........................

How many people even realize this coup is going on?

In speaking with many alumni of corps I have marched with and with students I keep in contact with on facebook, they have no clue whatsoever with regards to G7, What it means, Why it's happening ......... etc etc etc.

How many high school or even college kids out there that are 1st year MM's will have any idea that the G7 corps will not be potentially competing in DCI?

(answer: I would guess less than 5% know of this)

How many corps directors and instructors are going to tell auditionee's that they will not be doing a DCI tour before, during or after the 1st audition camp?

(I really don't expect any of those corps to make a formal announcement prior to auditions ..... and how would they get the word out anyway? Other than returning members, everyone else will be clueless)

This will be a shock to the system, and alot of kids are going to be wasting audition fees on a corps that won't be doing what they really want to do ....... A FULL DCI TOUR with a chance at a DCI Championship experience.

(snip)

This was my point exactly. I suggest that the alumni of the involved corps write letters to their own BoD's, Exec. Directors and Corps Directors stating that they expect a full disclosure of their corps' intentions to alums, fans and potential members before the season begins - and in all recruitment and camp materials.

(edited to add: of course, if some alums know about it but don't feel strongly that full disclosure is the right thing to do, then of course don't write letters.)

Edited by TerriTroop

This was my point exactly. I suggest that the alumni of the involved corps write letters to their own BoD's, Exec. Directors and Corps Directors stating that they expect a full disclosure of their corps' intentions to alums, fans and potential members before the season begins - and in all recruitment and camp materials.

(edited to add: of course, if some alums know about it but don't feel strongly that full disclosure is the right thing to do, then of course don't write letters.)

Do you all realise how many kids go to these auditions without any intentions of ever making that particular corps. Spending in upwaed of 5-6 hundred dollars for a weekend. Crazy as it may seem. I know this for sure. AS they say.." Its the experience" with a world class corps and staff Now youre right with other potential members should know the whole deal BUT to that ,dont you think they are going to be sold a good line? making the NEW drum corps experience more exciting, entertaining, professional, of course they will. Will it affect membership? maybe maybe not, remember alot of the newer person coming into Drum Corps are not the die hards nor have the history and probably could be convinced very easily. JMO