Blue Devils Hater No More

La Suerte by BD, 1980 is one of my all time favorite d/c tracks; you can imagine my disappointment in this version.

I didn’t like Star 93 then and I still don’t like it.

Bartok to me, is academic, meant for practice not performance, you’ll note how often it shows up in major professional programs and you'll see my opinion is the majority opinion and guess what, I’m also not a fan of SCV this year either

yawn

Reading the this thread, I was about to rip Michael Cesario then I listened to the pod cast…I didn’t catch the Star comparison…I think that is on the OP.... it’s also rather sloppy and unsubstantiated…Star 93 was a game changer but a show being like Star is not a game changing, its another version, copy cat of Star.

Cesario ‘smells’ a game changer but doesn’t define it and in true, 'bandwagon DCI creative people fashion' some folks run with it…screaming 'I was there then, I got it, I’m an intellectual artist too'

predictable…

it’s the greater context which it the only thing that allows this show to exist..Cesario allude to that and it’s valid…how long would a g-7 tour of SCV and BD last? Anyone think it would grow drum corps? I’d be a death nail. How well were finals attended in 94, 95, 96....?

I do take exception with Cesario claiming this show is what the kids are into…no, it’s a what a middle aged staff is into, a staff that is obviously bored and trying something different and losing many in the process. And maybe they have a little Star 92 in them and didn’t like being booed last year at finals either…if this is their direction, I’d welcome their Star 94 show, good bye

This show is not a game changer, it’s the next logical step for BD, a trend that they started in 1999, advanced in 2007 and one that I don’t appreciate. How many shows start pit...drums...guard…oh, here come the horns…you can set a clock by the rote pacing of their shows

They’ve also integrated the guard to the point of dominating the corps; eventuality people will catch on that that’s not integration. They also avoid the large, readable, clean forms that show ensemble discipline…when they do rarely break them out….they are back-field, early and upstaged by the guard and or drums (they tick the box)

I agree that this show is narcissists, navel gazing in their own mirror even at the expense of the audience, it’s more masturbatory than intellectual…and I say that as one that has enjoyed hours and hours of playing with feedback…can you feel my violence? can you smell my darkness?

OMG, I too am Star 93…I’m a game changer….I’m provoking a reaction…I am the artist…I shall create a thing of cruelty and hate…..I am the artist I make the rules, I start by sharpening my tools

(100 internet points if you caught my obscure, musical reference there, proving again, I’m an intellectual, creative person just like you)

Overall, I’m bemused by the reaction to BD shows so that’s good. I don’t like or hate this show, my reactions are much more subconscious and personal. I'm average. Outwardly and in retrospect, I’m bored by this show and that is the greatest crime in drum corps of all.

I envy your hate or love of this show because I got nothing from this show

couldn't agree with you more.... :tongue:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Suerte by BD, 1980 is one of my all time favorite d/c tracks; you can imagine my disappointment in this version.

Bartok to me, is academic, meant for practice not performance, you’ll note how often it shows up in major professional programs and you'll see my opinion is the majority opinion and guess what, I’m also not a fan of SCV this year either

yawn

Reading the this thread, I was about to rip Michael Cesario then I listened to the pod cast…I didn’t catch the Star comparison…I think that is on the OP.... it’s also rather sloppy and unsubstantiated…Star 93 was a game changer but a show being like Star is not a game changing, its another version, copy cat of Star.

Cesario ‘smells’ a game changer but doesn’t define it and in true, 'bandwagon DCI creative people fashion' some folks run with it…screaming 'I was there then, I got it, I’m an intellectual artist too'

predictable…

it’s the greater context which it the only thing that allows this show to exist..Cesario allude to that and it’s valid…how long would a g-7 tour of SCV and BD last? Anyone think it would grow drum corps? I’d be a death nail. How well were finals attended in 94, 95, 96....?

I do take exception with Cesario claiming this show is what the kids are into…no, it’s a what a middle aged staff is into, a staff that is obviously bored and trying something different and losing many in the process. And maybe they have a little Star 92 in them and didn’t like being booed last year at finals either…if this is their direction, I’d welcome their Star 94 show, good bye

This show is not a game changer, it’s the next logical step for BD, a trend that they started in 1999, advanced in 2007 and one that I don’t appreciate. How many shows start pit...drums...guard…oh, here come the horns…you can set a clock by the rote pacing of their shows

They’ve also integrated the guard to the point of dominating the corps; eventuality people will catch on that that’s not integration. They also avoid the large, readable, clean forms that show ensemble discipline…when they do rarely break them out….they are back-field, early and upstaged by the guard and or drums (they tick the box)

I agree that this show is narcissists, navel gazing in their own mirror even at the expense of the audience, it’s more masturbatory than intellectual…and I say that as one that has enjoyed hours and hours of playing with feedback…can you feel my violence? can you smell my darkness?

OMG, I too am Star 93…I’m a game changer….I’m provoking a reaction…I am the artist…I shall create a thing of cruelty and hate…..I am the artist I make the rules, I start by sharpening my tools

(100 internet points if you caught my obscure, musical reference there, proving again, I’m an intellectual, creative person just like you)

Overall, I’m bemused by the reaction to BD shows so that’s good. I don’t like or hate this show, my reactions are much more subconscious and personal. I'm average. Outwardly and in retrospect, I’m bored by this show and that is the greatest crime in drum corps of all.

You certainly use a lot of words to describe the "nothing" that you got from this show...

If the Blue Devils are the "new paradigm" of Drum Corps (George Hopkins aside} I think I'll just put on my Fleetwood CDs of the Chicago Cavaliers, St. Kevins ('64 Dream is CLASSIC!), Hawthorne, Skyliners, Riley, Sac, Garfield, St. Catherines, and MOB. Then to finish it off "Frameworks" & "Samurai". Why wait for the woodwinds? Drum Corps is mutating into a whole new entity. "Through A Mirror Darkly" indeed. So long, Corps - hello Bands! And I still believe that BD is the absolutely MOST overrated marching ensemble in history. Tremendous musicians who need Chairs & Mirrors. Ah, but they ARE the Judges Darlings. Long live TRUE Drum Corps - Death to DCI! :tongue:

Frameworks and Samurai just don't seem to fit right in there with St. Kevins, Hawthorne, Skyliners, etc.

:mat:

You certainly use a lot of words to describe the "nothing" that you got from this show...

I certainly got what was said....

yawn

predictable…

Well I guess the Blue Devils fooled all the judges again. What are they watching and listening to?.... they actually like this show? If only they could be as enlightened as you are.

If the Blue Devils are the "new paradigm" of Drum Corps (George Hopkins aside} I think I'll just put on my Fleetwood CDs of the Chicago Cavaliers, St. Kevins ('64 Dream is CLASSIC!), Hawthorne, Skyliners, Riley, Sac, Garfield, St. Catherines, and MOB. Then to finish it off "Frameworks" & "Samurai". Why wait for the woodwinds? Drum Corps is mutating into a whole new entity. "Through A Mirror Darkly" indeed. So long, Corps - hello Bands! And I still believe that BD is the absolutely MOST overrated marching ensemble in history. Tremendous musicians who need Chairs & Mirrors. Ah, but they ARE the Judges Darlings. Long live TRUE Drum Corps - Death to DCI! :tongue:

Ahem, I don't think they "need" chairs and mirrors any more than the Cavs "need" to chant and do ensemble aerobics on the field. From the sound of it, I'm surprised you're not still complaining about the advent of the rotor valves to replace slides on the horns. Sounds like someone needs a hug!

Edited by BDCorno

I certainly got what was said....

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I take exception to offensive comments like "I agree that this show is narcissists, navel gazing in their own mirror even at the expense of the audience, it’s more masturbatory than intellectual" :tongue::mat::worthy:

It is comments like that one that tend to make people like me doubt your objectivity. You even get a platform like this one to spread your rather demeaning words around. But, I doubt seriously that you would state comments like that so freely in person, or without the anonymity of a forum like this one.

"Masturbatory"? Really!?

Oh, the hostility.

Congratulations BD for fielding one of the most amazing drum corps productions of all time.

14!

Edited by do.it.up.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I take exception to offensive comments like "I agree that this show is narcissists, navel gazing in their own mirror even at the expense of the audience, it’s more masturbatory than intellectual" :tongue::mat::worthy:

It is comments like that one that tend to make people like me doubt your objectivity. You even get a platform like this one to spread your rather demeaning words around. But, I doubt seriously that you would state comments like that so freely in person, or without the anonymity of a forum like this one.

I agree heartily with what this person had to say because it "mirrors" what I feel. Objectivity...really? Are you having a problem with people expressing what they feel?

The Blue Devils will probably win at Finals this year. Does it mean that we have to :worthy: what they brought to the field... no it doesn't. I repect the talent of their membership but the product not so much. When in the he** did Drum Corps get so flippin' esoteric?

Nats week, Devils! Bring it home like you know how! And for the haters, FYWW.