Blue Devils Hater No More

Real classy. And you wonder why your corps gets a bad rep.

What bad rep?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the show is necessarily revolutionary, but I do see it as taking a few existing trends to the extreme, mainly in that the show is, for all intents and purposes, winter guard on a football field.

The "corps proper" (ie. horns and battery percussion) are total performers and fit into the visual presentation of the ideas and concepts of the show to a greater degree than I've ever seen before. Yes, horn players have been prancing around the field for the better part of two decades now, but it is usually simply to fill in a space where they were holding in the drill (cause standing still is SO 1990s), or where the effect was the fact that zOMG THE HORNZ R DANSING!!!omgwtfbbq!!!! In this show the horns and battery carry the thread of the show concept visually more completely and thoroughly than I've ever seen, and it's clear that the show was designed that way from the beginning. BD really started going this way in 08, backed off of it last year, but have brought it back with a vengeance this year. Just pick any horn player and watch them for a couple minutes in the show and you will realize just how much more than playing and marching each individual is doing out there. It really is remarkable.

The drill is also 100% indoor concepts. Traditional drum corps drill is zoomed out, with the emphasis on the big picture rather than individuals and effect is created through the development and interaction of the forms. Indoor drill is zoomed in, and all about staging individual performers and small groups, who then generate the effect by what they do when the focus is on them or away from them. Forms are largely irrelevant.

I also think the way snippets of past shows are woven into the musical book is pure genius and something that will keep people watching this show for years.

I think what is messing with a lot of people is the word "drill" or "marching". I don't really think those are words that could be used with this show. In that way I do think this is a game changer, like Star 93. I appreciate this show more than I thought I would. I think another thing that bothers others is using a traditional concept of execution. By the standards of 10-15 years ago, this show is not really visually very clean. When you focus on a small group of performers doing their movements, you realize these are brass players, not dancers. I also realized that it really doesn't seem that taxing, physically. This show was designed to win and it will. We still have people talking about M&M, ticks and who has the hardest drill. Those days are gone. Kudos for the BD designers for designing a show based on the current sheets. But that being said, this is all cyclical. The sheets will be changed to reign in BD. No one likes one corps dominating DCI.

What bad rep?

Yeah, I've never really heard a bad rep. Every member of BD I've ever talked to in the little retreats or whatever they are called now have been a delight. Or, more importantly, they have just as many intolerable people as any other corps.

Yeah, I've never really heard a bad rep. Every member of BD I've ever talked to in the little retreats or whatever they are called now have been a delight. Or, more importantly, they have just as many intolerable people as any other corps.

No skin off my back. I'm sure the Yankees are nice guys too.

Different corps are for different people.

FYWW creates both fans and haters. I loved their arrogance way before I even thought of trying out for the corps.

For what it's worth, I used to be a BD fan. Back when they could win a championship without being ### holes about it. To say to anyone #### You, We Win is unacceptable, and to teach it as acceptable is irresponsible.

So much for education in drum corps.

Garry in Vegas

PS While still not my cup of tea, BD performed the hell out of their show last night. To win and be proud is one thing. To win and rub everyone else's noses in it is just...well, you figure it out.

For what it's worth, I used to be a BD fan. Back when they could win a championship without being ### holes about it. To say to anyone #### You, We Win is unacceptable, and to teach it as acceptable is irresponsible.

Garry in Vegas

PS While still not my cup of tea, BD performed the hell out of their show last night. To win and be proud is one thing. To win and rub everyone else's noses in it is just...well, you figure it out.

Yes, and I'm sure it's perfectly OK to call people ### holes. But really?? You think we're ### holes about winning? How many BD fans/alums do you know on these forums or even personally that trash talk other corps or talk about how much better we are then everyone else? We're to busy defending ourselves from you guys. I really think you just need to lighten up. FYWW is like KFC. Doesn't mean anything =). Winning is our blessing and curse. We can't say a thing without being accused of arrogance, egocentrism or BD-centeredness.

Edited by bluublood

Garry, the FYWW attitude seemed prevalent in the heavy ego driven attitudes of some (too many!) BD members of the early 80's. I haven't seen that attitude (excluding the ever always exceptions) in BD in decades.

And that has NEVER been "institutionalized" / taught in BD ... Jerry taught us that early on! If someone in our staff did that, they would not last for long!

Garry in Vegas

Honestly ... I've known many folks from the Blue Devils over the years that I either competed against, when to college with, were former band students of mine who marched there, etc., and have gotten to know a number of their present board members since I moved to the Bay Area. I've always thought BD was one of THE class organizations in the activity with an educational approach second to none.

Don't know where all the BD hate comes from, but AFAIC, it's all misplaced and undeserved.