End of the season thought on Crown

So as finals approaches and I reflect back on the season it really bothers me what happened to Crown over the course of the past 2 months. I feel like they abandoned the pursuit of technical/performance perfection in lieu of striving for design cohesion (which I don't feel they've achieved). In the beginning of the season they played and marched their ##### off and were at the top of the game in terms of performance, but as the season went on and people started to question how they were getting the theme of their across. In my opinion their show makes absolutely no ####### sense. You have a main character 'the chick', who is fought over by two guard guys, then 2 corps members, then 2 guard guys again, and finally ends up with 'peter pan'.

W.T.F. Crown.

This is the perfect example of a very talented corps being wasted for the pursuit of GE.

I think the ending is the worst part too - I enjoy P.O.L. but it has no place being in this show. Can anyone explain to me why it is there? And yes I know this is their Sec2nd Chance show and that it harkens back to 09, but it just doesn't fit. They're trying to ram a nonexistent storyline down our throats and it's getting in the way of some beautiful drum corpsing.

I love their sound, love the body, love the drill, love the guard - hate the emphasis on the characters (and you know that when the DVDs come out it's going to be chalk full of closeups of them)

[/end rant]

Their designers haven't yet learned how to design a championship show.

I was expecting to be enthralled with this years production based on the early season buzz. It left me flat. Last years show was much better, though I liked it less than Triple Crown. WHO IS CAROLINA CROWN? Please establish an identity (besides a kick-%$$ hornline).

Oh, and please throw the crushed velvet in the trash on the way out of the Dome on Saturday.

Not a hater, just a realist. Bring back the old uni.

I was expecting to be enthralled with this years production based on the early season buzz. It left me flat. Last years show was much better, though I liked it less than Triple Crown. WHO IS CAROLINA CROWN? Please establish an identity (besides a kick-%$$ hornline).

I give Crown credit for knocking off 2 of the 3 Corps last year that one has to knock off to win it all. It's just really hard to beat all 3, which is what it usually takes to win it all. Crown looks like it will fall from last year' placement. They key for them is to try and make sure the slide doesn't continue next year.

We've seen this picture many times before... a Corps gets close, but no cigar, then begins the slide....some just disappear, but others regroup in a few years time and make another attempt up the mountain, like Bluecoats are doing this year.

I think the ending is the worst part too - I enjoy P.O.L. but it has no place being in this show. Can anyone explain to me why it is there?

I can explain. It's there because I like it. :)

The Promise of Living is a great song, and Crown plays it magnificently.

I think last year's show would was championship worthy. This year, though, is definitely not.

Who is Carolina Crown? They are Disney's version of Phantom Regiment. They make shows about horses and angels and Peter Pan looking folks, with big loud sounds and and emotional story structure, and they do it very well. Unfortunately, instead of an epic story, this year's show was a straight to DVD sequel.

So as finals approaches and I reflect back on the season it really bothers me what happened to Crown over the course of the past 2 months. I feel like they abandoned the pursuit of technical/performance perfection in lieu of striving for design cohesion (which I don't feel they've achieved). In the beginning of the season they played and marched their ##### off and were at the top of the game in terms of performance, but as the season went on and people started to question how they were getting the theme of their across. In my opinion their show makes absolutely no ####### sense. You have a main character 'the chick', who is fought over by two guard guys, then 2 corps members, then 2 guard guys again, and finally ends up with 'peter pan'.

Yes, Mahler, Khatchaturian, Marquez, and Elgar make absolutely no sense. Uh-huh.

Learn how to watch a drum corps show.