Cinecast Question

I'm thrilled...THIRLLED, mind you, that there are plenty of movie theaters near me in the city of Chicago that continue to broadcast Quarterfinals year after year. But I can't help but wonder, seeing as I've tried two different theaters over three years (both had great picture and decent sound quality every time too!) and never seen more then maybe a dozen audience members at either, (this is the city mind you, not the burbs) how on earth can these particular theaters afford to keep showing the Cinecast?! Yes, I paid $18.00, but surely it costs the theater more than $216 each time???

I'm thrilled...THIRLLED, mind you, that there are plenty of movie theaters near me in the city of Chicago that continue to broadcast Quarterfinals year after year. But I can't help but wonder, seeing as I've tried two different theaters over three years (both had great picture and decent sound quality every time too!) and never seen more then maybe a dozen audience members at either, (this is the city mind you, not the burbs) how on earth can these particular theaters afford to keep showing the Cinecast?! Yes, I paid $18.00, but surely it costs the theater more than $216 each time???

DCI probably negotiated with the national firm to broadcast this nationally, and assure the local cinema of the national afiliate that they wouldn't lose money on the deal, but would make a few bucks... more than $216.... on the showing. Its on a slow nite too for the cinema... Thursday. I didn't see people flocking to the other 30 or so flicks being shown in the theatre I went too.

Edited by BRASSO

I wonder what DCI has to pay to rent the auditoriums? Now-a-days movie theaters do not make very much money off of any films box office: they make their money on concessions. Obviously the more popular a movie/event is, the more people are at the theater spending money on $8 cokes and $6 boxes of M&M's. If I had to guess I would bet DCI pays some type of flat fee for a "guarantee" from a theater chain that it will play in a minimum amount of theaters. Aside from a midnight showing, a Thursday this late in the summer probably does not see a ton of business regularly and enough theaters see good business from the DCI event to continue playing it every year. It's not really a matter or each individual theater making money on tickets, it's the over-all big picture; I would bet there is a spike in attendance on DCI Semi's Thursday that other comparable Thursdays, so it's worth it for the theaters to run the program, even if it doesn't work as well in some theaters.

DCI probably negotiated with the national firm to broadcast this nationally, and assure the local cinema of the national afiliate that they wouldn't lose money on the deal, but would make a few bucks... more than $216.... on the showing. Its on a slow nite too for te cinema... Thursday. I didn't see people flocking to the other 30 or so flicks being shown in the theatre I went to. (we had a few hundred and it was almost a sell out... few under age 30 however were there. The younger crowd just won't go to theatres to watch live DCI Drum Corps, that's for sure.)

I was really shocked at the low turn out for the NAshville show. Opry Mills is still closed due to flooding and green Hills theater was the only theater in town showing Big Loud And Live and the audience was pretty small. No where near a sell out. Maybe 100 people?

Nashville Fans are really strange. They use to pack the MTSU Murfreesboro show to capacity and now its pretty much a ghost town. The fans that do show up seem to be very sedated and just do not get up off their feet much.

I wonder what DCI has to pay to rent the auditoriums? Now-a-days movie theaters do not make very much money off of any films box office: they make their money on concessions. Obviously the more popular a movie/event is, the more people are at the theater spending money on $8 cokes and $6 boxes of M&M's. If I had to guess I would bet DCI pays some type of flat fee for a "guarantee" from a theater chain that it will play in a minimum amount of theaters. Aside from a midnight showing, a Thursday this late in the summer probably does not see a ton of business regularly and enough theaters see good business from the DCI event to continue playing it every year. It's not really a matter or each individual theater making money on tickets, it's the over-all big picture; I would bet there is a spike in attendance on DCI Semi's Thursday that other comparable Thursdays, so it's worth it for the theaters to run the program, even if it doesn't work as well in some theaters.

Yes, most of the 20+ theaters in this megaplex were not showing anything. What I wonder about is this: There were two movies being shown on the DCI side of the complex with both of those being less than $10 a ticket, Made me wonder how many people payed the $18 and how many paid the regular movie price and just came on in at a reduced ticket rate ? Theres ony one person checking tickets to get into the whole complex.

you forget a lot of movie theaters make the bulk of their money on concessions, not necessarily the tickets.

you forget a lot of movie theaters make the bulk of their money on concessions, not necessarily the tickets.

I hear ya but I do not purchase that over priced stuff. I make it a habit to eat heavy right before going into the theater so I do not get tempted to purchase.