The Official DCI Finals Lounge

I agree. The booing by the fans at Indy here toward the DCI Champion Blue Devils is distasteful, rude, and is a sign frankly of being ill bred. It's one thing to maybe think a show is boring beyond belief, but it's quite another to boo the Champion like this.

So they can't have an opinion??? They paid big bucks for a ticket, they have a right to boo if they want. Some people just walked out whn the Cavies score was announced.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure I will get killed for this but I was with my bf this year when his daughter called him several times crying over this issues or that issue thru her 1st summer marching DCI.. She was being pushed to be her best, she was away from home and she was making rookie mistakes but over time the crying stopped, she gained her footing and will be a confident young lady coming home after the summer she just spent out on tour....she worked so hard(as did everyone else) they slept on gym floors, they worked out in 100 degree plus weather and did it to entertain all of us.

Hate shows or love shows, hate DCI or love DCI that is your choice but to boo the kids who just paid lots of money to entertain all of us is wrong in my opinion. This isnt a millionaire athlete who strikes out, this is a 19 or 20 year old kid who wants to perform and goes to a corps to do just that, they have no say in the show or the design. This is my opinion and I am sure I will get ripped cause of it but so be it.

The BD young adults didn't appear to be phased by anything..

Star didn't appear to be fazed by it, either. But read the comments by the Star alumnus in the Star alumni corps semi-finals performance thread, and you'll learn a very different story.

Amen to that. Booing is never appropriate. Ever. End of discussion. You can justify it however you want by saying you're booing the design staff, but I still think you're a classless hack if you do it.

Stay classy midwest fans. :thumbup:

AMEN!

To "boo the design" is to tell a lot of hardworking, talented young people that they chose to waste a year of their life. I spend a lot of my days teaching kids that QUALITY and PREFERENCE are two different things. Of everyone on here B&M'ing, not a one of you HAD to watch a show. Don't like BD? Don't buy their stuff...don't buy tix for shows they are in...don't pay money to watch a webcast that they are on. If enough people don't like them that way they will fold financially and they'll be out of your hair. But DON'T you dare boo these great kids who joined up for an artistic leap you don't like.

Better yet...go find some corps you do like and go work your ### off for them. You'll be too busy to complain then.

Star didn't appear to be fazed by it, either. But read the comments by the Star alumnus in the Star alumni corps semi-finals performance thread, and you'll learn a very different story.

I said much the same thing a few pages back...

Don't boo at a retreat, you classless idiots. That is inexcusable.

Don't ruin the moment of the lifetime for the BD members.

Maybe you don't like what Gibbs is doing with G7, but none of that is the fault of the BD marching members.

Don't like what Gibbs or Hopkins or the rest of the G7 are doing? Then send them a letter, or send them a voided check, or do some other act of protest.

But don't boo the MMs - especially at a retreat, and especially at Finals.

Sheesh.

I agree. I dislike the G-7 stuff a much as anyone, and this BD show wasn't to my liking either. But there is a time and a place for everything, and the booing we heard for the Blue Devils tonite as they were basing their moment in the sun, was neither the time, nor the place for such a thing. The good news here is that the Blue Devils really don't seem to care what the fans think anyway. So unlike others, they probably have developed a mental toughness and a very thick skin with this stuff that they've heard the last few years. It's probably what steels them and makes them able to rise to the ocassion time and time again in competition.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, someone else needs to really step up. MBI and Connecticut have come close, but not quite far enough.

This is a tremendous point!

1) don't blame a corps for having incredible success: if anyone blame their competitors for not stepping up, developing a show that has enough depth, demand, effect, and is executed near flawlessly. Phantom's one-in-a-million magical performance aside (er...make that two :smile:), I think Cavaliers this year were the closest to contending, and if they weren't as dirty as they were (note: dirty in comparison to BD, not dirty, dirty) I honestly think they would've come a lot closer contending.

2) Blue Devil's 'dynasty' of the past four seasons as "forced" other corps/designers to up their game. If everyone is busting their butts on all levels working to put out a show that can contend, inherently everyone else gets better. Unfortunately for everyone else BD also gets better and can stay one step ahead of the pack.

If you think about it, SCV of the early 70's 'forced' BD to up their game. There's a segment on the original 93 videos where Wayne Downey says that the SCV team influenced BD's team and pushed BD to ramp things up to compete/beat SCV. Cadets built their dynasty because they had to invent a new 'formula' in order to end BD's dynasty. In the mid-90's BD almost radically changed up their design style because they were tired of going so long without winning. Cavaliers invented their formula to end BD's dynasty. And now it's come full circle (almost) as BD changed up their schtick to beat Cavaliers.

Designing and performing a Championship show year in/year out is an incredibly hard thing to do, but dynasties push the rest of the pack to get better.

Why are you coming down on me? I just said what I saw watching the fan network, it did NOT appear to phase them, they were relishing in their win.

Not meaning to come down on you. I don't doubt that they weren't fazed, they just won a world title, they don't care about the stands. But like I said, it looks bad on the fans' part. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though.

I can't begin to fathom that people feel self-important enough and think that drum corps is that big of a deal that they decide it's a good idea to boo a group of 150 16-21 year-olds for the show they were given to perform. Express your displeasure in other ways if you like: don't clap, go get a hot dog, whatever. I've just never understood the concept of booing. Yeah to a certain extent you are a customer and your opinion matters, but all booing does is devalue the sweat and tears the members put into their show, and I just don't think they deserve that.