Official 2010 DCI Finals "Post Game" Thread . . .

"records" might've been referring to final score not breaking last year's BD score or Cadets & Cavaliers record high score.

I would also guess their color guard set some scoring records with all those 10's from quarterfinals through finals.

We'll need some stat nerds to confirm that, though.

Edited by wvu80

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back at the hotel from the show.

In general, one of the strongest music years in a very long time. From top to bottom (and yes, I include BD), the corps were working with strong base material and finding ways to bring the pieces into the drum corps medium in ways that were both original and faithful.

Madison's late uniform change to the neckerchief was a nice touch. Was thinking that maybe they nipped Boston tonight, but BAC still has a slight tech edge.

Cavaliers got the only in-show standing ovation of the night (and another when they were announced in second). Coupled with the deep, long lines at their souvie wagon, Cavaliers management should be feeling VERY good about what they accomplished this year, both on and off the field.

BD live really IS a different show. You still might not like it, but FN can't come close to getting what it is they're doing on the field. (I didn't hear any booing of any kind near me, if others reported that they did).

I don't care what the judges said; Vanguard had one of the best overall packages this year. Thank you to everyone on their staff for having the stones to put that on the field and let things fall where they might.

Crown's brass sound is one of the more magnificent things in this activity. Nimrod, in particular, was spectacular. That being said, the show design left a lot to be desired, and I'm not surprised to see them several points off the lead.

Similarly, I could have listened to PR's show again right away, but the visual package was pretty disappointing. The guard's drill rarely intersected anything the percussion or brass were doing. That's a type of "old school' that should be addressed next year.

I was in the mezzanine this year, on the 20, and brass sound was really good, but for whatever reason, pits couldn't be heard well (even with amps). The effect of the dome on brass only passages or for horn soloists without mics is a notable plus, but eventually percussion writers are going to have to figure out that every snare rim shot they write destroys any other musical phrasing for several counts after the hit, since the rim shot totally absorbs the available acoustic energy in the room for that long.

Overall, this was one of the strongest Finals I've attended in the 30 some odd years I've been attending or performing in 'em. Nicely done, to all involved.

My bad - at the time of that post, I had thought that the Cavaliers had had two undefeated seasons before, but that was just me being stupid and posting based on assumptions. But yes, when I posted, the reference to not breaking any records was in fact a reference to the final score.

LOL! No problem, I was just busting your chops. :smile:

The fact is, we have all just witnessed history, the greatest back-to-back seasons ever. That will be a hard record to break.

Especially when BD goes undefeated next year. :doh:

Edited by wvu80

The members of Madison are Explorer Scouts. That is their 'real' name...saying "Madison Scouts" is really a shortcut.

Is that still their official name? What a neat fun fact.

I don't care what the judges said; Vanguard had one of the best overall packages this year. Thank you to everyone on their staff for having the stones to put that on the field and let things fall where they might.

I completely agree. My favorite out of a very enjoyable year. A music-driven visual program that actually works is a pretty rare animal in DCI, but Vanguard did a great job with it this year. I hope they stick with their current design approach for a few more years, as I really like where both Bartok and Martha ended up.

The members of Madison are Explorer Scouts. That is their 'real' name...saying "Madison Scouts" is really a shortcut.

So the members are actually scouts in a literal sense? I might be missing what you are saying. Is the corps still connected to the Boy Scouts?

So the members are actually scouts in a literal sense? I might be missing what you are saying. Is the corps still connected to the Boy Scouts?

The Scouts are an active Venturing troop (Venture Crew 600) of the Boy Scouts of America and are registered with the Glacier's Edge Council (formerly Four Lakes Council) in Madison, Wisconsin.

Until the late 90s, it was Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, then Explorer Scouts through age 21. In '98, the Exploring program was reorganized and the outdoor-oriented posts became the new Venturing program.