Is it ok to "boo"

To Boo or Not to Boo  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's acceptable to boo?

• Yes
    • No

Nope, still not buying it - it means the crowd didn't like the show the corps' designers put out there. It has nothing, nothing to do with the kids.

Try being out there. Not saying it ever happened to me, but had it happened, I would have been pretty devastated. And I agree with you, I've never been present when a corps was booed walking off the field, but knowing how emotional tour is, had we been booed walking off the field, I would have taken it personally.

I don't care what (hypothetical) YOUR interpretation of the boos are. I just performed for you and you booed when I left, what other way is there to take that?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try being out there. Not saying it ever happened to me, but had it happened, I would have been pretty devastated. And I agree with you, I've never been present when a corps was booed walking off the field, but knowing how emotional tour is, had we been booed walking off the field, I would have taken it personally.

I don't care what (hypothetical) YOUR interpretation of the boos are. I just performed for you and you booed when I left, what other way is there to take that?

Thus proving my point. Thank you.

Absolutely not. Personally I don't even boo at sports games, which is probably the one time it's okay to boo. The fact is that everyone on that field is working their ##### off and their efforts should be rewarded, especially in DCI since they're still just kids and they pay WAY more to be there than any of the fans.

Absolutely not. Personally I don't even boo at sports games, which is probably the one time it's okay to boo.

When I was younger I would yell things after a late hit or a cheap shot at a football game ( now I'm too old to waste the energy)

Is THAT ok to do ? I mean come on, ( oops, wrong thread ) :thumbup:

Heck, I don't even shout at the TV unless it's a money grubbing fake preacher

No it's not ok.

If you get your kicks from seeing a whole bunch of kids burst into tears then boo all you like. It's not the kids fault you don't like their show.

If you really don't like it then go get a hotdog.

I'm sure he has good days and bad days like anyone else....oops,

I thought the title was "Is it ok to BE Boo". :thumbup:

Except a number of those players have scholarships, basically doing college for free (or greatly reduced) and are expected to perform to justify those scholarships.

You also have alums who donate large sums of money and expect results (I think it was someone in LA who said that if UCLA only beats USC and Notre Dame, the alums would be happy and open the wallets)

Lastly, college football is, in some respects, an advance job interview for NFL teams.

NONE of this applies to drum corps performers.

The RIGHT to boo doesn't mean it's appropriate to do so...I will again point you to the recollections of a Star alum earlier in this thread...and to others by OTHER Star alums.

It...is...wrong...to...boo...drum...corps...PERIOD.

You don't like a show? Fine...my thoughts on Cadets 07 are right out there...I gave them applause for their spectacular efforts (because without the excessive narration the show was exactly that), but if you feel like actually booing, just do everyone a favor and STFU.

except a number of those performers have scholarships, basically doing drum corps for free (or greatly reduced)and are expected to perform to justify those scholarships.

You also have alums who donate large sums of money and expect results

Lastly, drum corps is, in some respects, an advance job interview for teaching and performance jobs.

yes, some of this does apply to drum corps performers.

It...is...wrong...to...boo...college...football...PERIOD.

it's not that different...there are more scholarships in football then in drum corps...both college football and drum corps "kids" work their butts off. Alumni send in lots of cash to both drum corps and universities.

is it possible that the young little buckeye already knows he's gonna be boo'd when he goes into Michigan, or Wisconsin, etc.?

Another thing that needs to be said..they aren't "kids". They are almost all 18 or older. You can die for your country, you can take a boo.

I'm not supporting boo'ing drum corps or football, for that matter. I'm just saying that apparently it's acceptable to boo some 18-22 year olds, and not acceptable to boo others.

I don't care what you think about a corps, or their program.

It is NOT, under ANY circumstances, OK to boo the efforts of hard working kids who have busted their ##### off all summer and paid out of their own pockets to entertain YOU.

EVER!!!!

Yessir.... This is exactly the way I feel about this rude, childish, terrible behaviour, yeah I'm old school, but I was raised that you don't exhibit this type of behaviour, especially to a group of young folks that are actually doing something constructive with thier time ....

except a number of those performers have scholarships, basically doing drum corps for free (or greatly reduced)and are expected to perform to justify those scholarships.

You also have alums who donate large sums of money and expect results

Lastly, drum corps is, in some respects, an advance job interview for teaching and performance jobs.

yes, some of this does apply to drum corps performers.

It...is...wrong...to...boo...college...football...PERIOD.

it's not that different...there are more scholarships in football then in drum corps...both college football and drum corps "kids" work their butts off. Alumni send in lots of cash to both drum corps and universities.

Uhhhhh...no. You cannot compare a 4 year college scholarship worth tens of thousands per year (and that's lowballing) with an activity with a max tour fee of $3000 or so. There might be one or 2 cut rates for members needed to fill holes, but a touring corps needs all the money it can get to function.

Alums who donate simply want to see their corps do well on the field...sometimes simply by surviving the season....I certainly didn't demand Cascades make finals the year I helped one of their members make his tour fee...I just wanted him to finish his ageout year.

Drum corps is not NEARLY the sort of advance job interview collegiate football is...NFL scouts keep an eye on likely prospects for the raft season....no one at Microsoft or Citibank is going to watch a drum corps show for likely workers.

The two are not comparable....

Uhhhhh...no. You cannot compare a 4 year college scholarship worth tens of thousands per year (and that's lowballing) with an activity with a max tour fee of $3000 or so. There might be one or 2 cut rates for members needed to fill holes, but a touring corps needs all the money it can get to function.

Alums who donate simply want to see their corps do well on the field...sometimes simply by surviving the season....I certainly didn't demand Cascades make finals the year I helped one of their members make his tour fee...I just wanted him to finish his ageout year.

Drum corps is not NEARLY the sort of advance job interview collegiate football is...NFL scouts keep an eye on likely prospects for the raft season....no one at Microsoft or Citibank is going to watch a drum corps show for likely workers.

The two are not comparable....

the point I was trying to make...and everyone is so conveniently ignoring, is that both subsets include 18-22 year old "kids"

this isn't about scholarships or money or future jobs...it's about people voicing their displeasure at a certain age group of individuals that have worked extremely hard for months to achieve something. When it's "sports" it's fine...when it's "art" it's not fine.