Marie Czapinski

Two things bother me in the world. Politicians and DCI Judging. The two, like the well-worn joke, bear striking similarities to baby diapers, and for much the same reason.

In browsing the scores from Semifinals just now I was amused to see that the 6th place Phantom Regiment was ranked 8th by Cavaliers bus mom wannabe and GE Vis 2 Judge Marie Czapinski.

Now, in Marie's defense, my old corps doesn't have a really great history of knowing how to generate Visual GE or Visual in general. At least not as measured on the Judge's recaps. 'Spartacus' was the obvious exception, and boy would I love to see if Miss Rosemont judged championships week two years ago! And the other judge in semis this year likewise ranked Phantom in 8th.

But I would like just once to see Ms. Czapinski set aside bias and rate Phantom Regiment at or above their placement in her caption. Just once, Marie. Doesn't have to be championship finals with Cavaliers sitting ahead of Rockford. Just some podunk, middle-of-nowhere show where nobody but you, me and the local town gossip will ever know. Cuz' the predictability of this particular judge's scoring is becoming mind-numbingly tedious.

Is anybody at DCI paying attention to this issue? I thought it was dealt with a few years back after Ms. Czapinski, chest heaving, said on the theater broadcast, "Cavaliers really do it for me!" Paraphrasing, of course. Remember how the next season Ms. Czapinski was relegated to Open Class and minor, middle-of-nowhere shows 23 clicks south of Podunk? I thought we learned that lesson already, guys.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things bother me in the world. Politicians and DCI Judging. The two, like the well-worn joke, bear striking similarities to baby diapers, and for much the same reason.

In browsing the scores from Semifinals just now I was amused to see that the 6th place Phantom Regiment was ranked 8th by Cavaliers bus mom wannabe and GE Vis 2 Judge Marie Czapinski.

Now, in Marie's defense, my old corps doesn't have a really great history of knowing how to generate Visual GE or Visual in general. At least not as measured on the Judge's recaps. 'Spartacus' was the obvious exception, and boy would I love to see if Miss Rosemont judged championships week two years ago! And the other judge in semis this year likewise ranked Phantom in 8th.

But I would like just once to see Ms. Czapinski set aside bias and rate Phantom Regiment at or above their placement in her caption. Just once, Marie. Doesn't have to be championship finals with Cavaliers sitting ahead of Rockford. Just some podunk, middle-of-nowhere show where nobody but you, me and the local town gossip will ever know. Cuz' the predictability of this particular judge's scoring is becoming mind-numbingly tedious.

Is anybody at DCI paying attention to this issue? I thought it was dealt with a few years back after Ms. Czapinski, chest heaving, said on the theater broadcast, "Cavaliers really do it for me!" Paraphrasing, of course. Remember how the next season Ms. Czapinski was relegated to Open Class and minor, middle-of-nowhere shows 23 clicks south of Podunk? I thought we learned that lesson already, guys.

There you go again pointing out facts and reality. That has no place in DCI.

I have seen recaps where Ms C has consistently, season to season, slapped around a fave corps of mine in direct contradiction it seemd to what they were scoring fairly consistenty before and after her assessment. In other words, when I see her on a slate I could lay money down in Vegas her number wouuld drop my fave below whatever thay had been getting from her colleagues.

Obviously Phantom usually scores lower in Vis GE than their placement because they aren't very good at Vis GE. It's not bias to think someone doesn't excel at something. When she praised Cavies she was taking about a specific show in a specific year, and all the judges agreed with her. And don't forget, she is the reason Cavies didn't outright win DCI in 2000. She put them in 3rd which was out of line with everything all year. I guess she could slot corps of it makes you happier.

Soooo......to paraphrase....

We weren't effective......but Marie should have given us scores anyway, because that would make you hate her less....

Okay, I can go with that....

(Sarcasm)

Or you could just talk to the Dans about getting a better drill writer...?...

(/sarcasm)

~michael

Edited for clarity of intent

Edited by BigHoosierMack

I don't know of the history of Marie C. and Regiment. I don't follow recaps that closely, however in looking at the recaps for the full week there is absolutely nothing alarming about PR in 8th in Visual GE. As the OP points out BOTH judges had them there and in Quarters a judge had them in 9th in the same caption and another judge had them in 12th in Visual Ensemble Excellence (which would indirectly impact that caption). It wasn't their strength. If there is a real issue there this result does not add to the 'evidence'.

Edited by jwscv87

I heard she makes good waffles.