G7 and Open Class

sadly no. except Madison 02, who did great promotion of OC finals, I don't remember a crowd much bigger any other year...and when it was on Wednesday, people either got in that night and explored the host city, or didn't arrive til Thursday, so wouldnt have gone anyways

Agreed but I would say that the crowd would be 3 or 4 times the size of what I saw this year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad that current marching members are posting here. After all, what the G7 proposal states it would effect the young ones who are carrying on our history and legacy by choosing to march in our activity. I wish more CMM would post. I would love to hear what your point of views are. To me this Activity is an expansive hobby, to the young members marching today, what they are experiencing, will carry on for the rest of their lives.

Dean

PS Thank you all for choosing to march in our Activity

Well exploring the city is going to get old considering it will be there another 8 years. Have the parade again and go back to old format with OC (class a finals) on wednesday night and let the top 7 corps advance since we may be minus seven corps anyways.

saturday morning everyone is visiting and planning early dinner before finals.

To me this would make a wonderful Finals Week:

Mon: OC Prelim

Tue: OC Simi

Wed: WC Prelim

Th: WC Simi

Fri: OC Final

Sat: WC Final

Positives: a) Gives OC a special night (Fri) so more people might attend; and b) Gives the WC top 12 a full day of Fri rehearsal to put in that extra whip cream and cherry for finals!

And the problem is???? WC is the DCI cash cow; so the ticket sales for WC Prelim and Simi would more than likely go down even further.

I like it. And a lot of people attend for a few days as it is. As was mentioned OC qtrs, semis, and finals were not that well attended. In fact, 2trs and semis were poor, and finals was just ok.

I like it. And a lot of people attend for a few days as it is. As was mentioned OC qtrs, semis, and finals were not that well attended. In fact, 2trs and semis were poor, and finals was just ok.

The problem is that many people are attempting to look at the past with rose color glasses. Here is a truism: Even "Back in the Day" of the seventies, eighties, and nineties the attendance was never that good for "any" of the shows Mon - Thu of Finals week. So, IMO, the target for massive ticket sales should be Fri night Finals for OC and Sat night Finals for WC; with the M - Th OC and WC prelims/simis being way less expensive.

Edited by Stu

Would it have made sense to cancel it?

It would certainly make sense to revisit the schedule. I heard the crowd in Michigan City was very poor this year in comparison to the previous couple of years. I would guess that many people that may have gone to Michigan City in the past and then headed to Indy scrapped that plan this year since they knew they would see all the OC in Indy anyway. If the number or corps keeps dwindling the schedule will have to follow. If there are 12 corps it won't make sense to have 3 shows.

It would certainly make sense to revisit the schedule. I heard the crowd in Michigan City was very poor this year in comparison to the previous couple of years. I would guess that many people that may have gone to Michigan City in the past and then headed to Indy scrapped that plan this year since they knew they would see all the OC in Indy anyway. If the number or corps keeps dwindling the schedule will have to follow. If there are 12 corps it won't make sense to have 3 shows.

I doubt the corps would be interested in losing performance opportunities.

Would it have made sense to cancel it?

Considering the cost involved with the LOS, I would think it would make sense to consider other ideas. I'm not so much against OC having 3 performances during the week, but it seems to make good business sense to not lost money for 3 performances, when you could lose less by doing 2.

BTW, I well remember coming into Orlando for Open Class finals and seeing couple thousand in the stands and being mildly surprised, grant you many were from other corps not in finals, but it was far better attended then this years OC Finals. This was one of the worst attended Finals I've been to. Even saturday night wasn't that great, the stands were full of kids from corps.

Considering the cost involved with the LOS, I would think it would make sense to consider other ideas. I'm not so much against OC having 3 performances during the week, but it seems to make good business sense to not lost money for 3 performances, when you could lose less by doing 2.

BTW, I well remember coming into Orlando for Open Class finals and seeing couple thousand in the stands and being mildly surprised, grant you many were from other corps not in finals, but it was far better attended then this years OC Finals. This was one of the worst attended Finals I've been to. Even saturday night wasn't that great, the stands were full of kids from corps.

LOS is already rented out on Friday and Saturday for both the OC and WC events. There would be no savings by having the OC events at a different venue since the stadium is already being paid for on those days.