Over Hyped, Under Hyped

Totally disagree on your thoughts on Spirit. I think they made huge strides from the past few years with a program that was a lot more enjoyable to watch. I think they had some great sound out there with some pretty difficult musical passages. As for the uniforms, they have grown on me and I kind of like them.

I should have been more clear with Spirit. It was all about the uniforms and nothing to do with the show. A lot of people were "hyping" the uniforms. I didn't like them after one viewing.

Coats – Way too much hype toward the latter part of the year. I though that, visually, the program was middle of the pack. Not really anything that stood out to me. Excellent corps though.

I don't think so. I will be the first to admit that I am not a huge Bluecoats fan.

That drum corps performed the $%^& out of their show this summer! I felt like all sections of the corps performed at a high level and that they were for real. Overhyped? Just the people on here talking about their highest number and placement ever. Just the people posting poll after poll about them beating BD and the Cavies. I thought the Bluecoats kept their cool all summer.

Off Soap Box...nice job Bluecoats.

MIKE

Carolina Crown = overhyped. They had a lot of momentum and anticipation coming out of '09 with a lot of expectations of gunning for the title. Talented corps; but not enough this and that to top it off.

Pioneer = (sadly) overhyped. In some ways, I have pity for this organization. There was a lot of hype and support for Pioneer during the winter and spring with a larger corps and new programming. As usual, they found themselves in familiar territory at the end. Somebody always has to be the rock bottom; but, unfortunately, it's become Pioneer, consistantly, with a firm grip on that position.

add in Crossmen too

I don't think so. I will be the first to admit that I am not a huge Bluecoats fan.

That drum corps performed the $%^& out of their show this summer! I felt like all sections of the corps performed at a high level and that they were for real. Overhyped? Just the people on here talking about their highest number and placement ever. Just the people posting poll after poll about them beating BD and the Cavies. I thought the Bluecoats kept their cool all summer.

Off Soap Box...nice job Bluecoats.

MIKE

I agree. They performed admirably. I just really didn't see anything in the "visual" department that made me sit up and take notice. IMO, a rather pedestrian visual package. This doesn't take away from how well they executed. Performing at a "high level" doesn't mean you're doing anything all that special other than performing.

Coats – Way too much hype toward the latter part of the year. I though that, visually, the program was middle of the pack. Not really anything that stood out to me. Excellent corps though.

agree

I'd say they were over amped - they had the speaker so loud it blew out one of my ears for the rest of the night, hardly heard the battery, couldn't even hear the brass when they played back field, our entire section was PO'ed by this (and it was not an amp/no amp debate - it was just too #### loud)

good show though and I'm usually a fan of them anyway, a lot of it looked very 2006 though...the visuals with the guard down front at the start, guard encircled the rest of the corps

like Crowns placement last year, more a statement about the rest of the pack but they delivered

150 marchers = more dirt at finals, weaker corps in the top tier

Regiment – As always, there is more love from the paying group than those that get paid. I had reservations about this show, but overall, it wasn’t too bad. I felt the guard and visual were being hacked based on the past and not necessarily on what they were doing on the field. Still can’t figure out why the brass line scored so low. Might be those Jupiter horns

hornline was dirty, trumpet feature down front was cringe worthy, could hear feet throughout

Blue Stars - Guard work with no arms - yeah all 2 counts or so of it. WAY over hyped. However, they are solid all around. With the right vehicle, look out!

way better than last year, still not as good as 2007, they pass off way too much music to the pit, hornline mostly accents them, didn't notice that until I saw it live, horns left me hungry musically, understandable because they were so busy running...need to tweak that balance more

Blue Devils- under hyped. but what else should I expect on this board. unless crown or phantom are doing it, it sucks.

Cavaliers- just right.

Bluecoats- under at the beginning. Waaaaaaaay over at the end. I feel this was a very middle of the road show for them. they've had better.

Crown- over hyped. no idea why this corps gets the credit it does. what have they accomplished?

The Cadets- just right.

Phantom Regiment- just right. turned out to be one of my favorites of the summer.

Santa Clara Vanguard- over hyped at the beginning. they fail to deliver yet again.

Blue Stars- over hyped. once again, this corps gets way more credit than they deserve. what have they accomplished?

Boston Crusaders- under hyped. waaaaay under hyped.

Madison- over hyped buuuuut they did deliver the goods when it came down to it.

Blue Knights- over hyped. snore. as usual.

Glassmen- hype doesn't apply to this corps. it would require too much excitement.

Spirit of Atlanta = partially underhyped. One h**l of a talented corps! But the programming caused all that talent to suffer. What stuck out the most to me was the d**n "ICON, ICON...FORGING, ICON, ICON;" and that wasn't a positive. A lot of these extra sounds, vocals, and recorded vocals really detract from programs that could have a lot of potential.

Jersey Surf = partially underhyped. Again, like Spirit, a very talented group of performers; but the programming hinders that talent. If Surf desires to climb upwards, they are going to have to move beyond Division II style programs.

Crown- over hyped. no idea why this corps gets the credit it does. what have they accomplished?

Let's see... A DCI World Finalist the past 16 years (2002 the sole exception). Top 4 ranking the past 3 years. DCI Fan Favorite the past 2 years. And that brass sound...even the haters have to admit it's one of the best.

Sure, they haven't been around as long as many other Corps. But, please don't imply they haven't accomplished anything.