Madison Scouts 2011

The TOC will have at least one... possibly 2 or 3 others...that will qualify for the TOC next year, but my prediction will be that they will say " Thank You, but we've decided to pass on the invite ".

The financials for this years participation will make it so. Its a bridge too far, imo. But who knows, we'll see.

I don't think the financials will play into it, unless corps LOSE money on it (not likely). It will become a status thing, no different than semifinals corps looking at the top 12 and thinking what if. TOC corps will will have a one up on the remaining top 12 corps in recruiting and talent. To turn down the offer would be nothing but poor management.

I don't think the financials will play into it, unless corps LOSE money on it (not likely). It will become a status thing, no different than semifinals corps looking at the top 12 and thinking what if. TOC corps will will have a one up on the remaining top 12 corps in recruiting and talent. To turn down the offer would be nothing but poor management.

I do agree with you that the World Class Division Group Slotting System put in place for this season has ALREADY benefitted half the World Class Corps to the detriment of the other World Class Division Corps, in terms of off season talent assembly. The notion then that we'll have a lot of changes in placement within the World Class Division does not jive with the inherently unfair system that has been implemented. It stinks to high heaven in my opinion. But nobody asked me. But it is a bit silly to want to see changes in the placements and yet be ok with this slotted system that has been implemented.

Imagine if all the top 8 Pro sports teams in all the Pro sports were given the top draft choices after finishing in the top 8 in their respective sports. While we dont have a draft in Drum Corps, nobody here is delusional enough to think that the 8 TOC announced Corps didn't collectively get a HUGELY larger talent pool to " draft " talent from this off season from that of( say ) Corps finishing 9-18 last year. You hit the nail on the head that the " status " of the TOC Corps will make these TOC Corps WANT to consider their advantaged position within the World Class Division Group Slotted System. I don't disagree with you on this point at all. In fact, I agree with you on this point. I'm simply stating my belief that it might occur that some of the TOC Corps may conclude that the financial costs are not worth the continuation of their participation in the World Class Group Slotting System requirements in terms of additional travel costs.

I could be proven wrong, but in my opinion, the TOC concept of 8 Super Corps, if codified as an annual event after this year, would make the chances of cracking these top 8 pretty much impossible. Thats right, pretty much impossible. If the TOC concept of 8 Corps continues, the chances of ( say ) Academy, Troopers, Glassmen, Colts, Crossmen, Spirit,.. probably Boston... and others moving up into the Top 8 is frankly almost ludicrous. They'd have basically no shot. Thats because the 8 Corps would have more of the revenues, marching talent, staff, recruiting edges, etc from the TOC concept implementation to make movement into the top 8 in such a system a mere unattainable pipedream for the others. We barely have movement within the upper tier as it is. To institute an 8 Corps super Division within the World Class Division makes a mockery of the idea of free and open competition where a level playing field is the norm. But thats just my 2 cents input on this too.

I've said before, I really don't care about the placements. I want to be entertained more than anything else. They'll be some surprises in placements this year. But come the day after Finals, the placements of Corps will look about what most expected, with hardly any of the Corps moving up or down more than 2 placement positions from last year. If thats " exciting " for some, then thats cool. But after the fight for 1st place, its mostly now a question of " who's show did you enjoy more than the other also rans ? ", in my view.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

LETS GET FIRED UP PEOPLE!

The 2011 season is here... You Wanted The Best... You Got The Best... The Hottest Drum Corps in the World...

THE MADISON SCOUTS!

Coming to a stadium near you. Get out and support YOUR Drum Corps!

DCI WORLD CLASS Drum and Bugle Corps RULE!

I will see you all in Minn.

PEACE!

DRESS REHEARSAL - Indiana University, Memorial Stadium, Sunday, June 19th. Gates will open at 6:30p but the corps will not "step off" until 8:31p (the same as Tuesday night). We will be rehearsing starting at 6:30p and you're welcome to watch, but the dress rehearsal portion will be at 8:31p. And yes, the merchandise booth will be open.

I do agree with you that the World Class Division Group Slotting System put in place for this season has ALREADY benefitted half the World Class Corps to the detriment of the other World Class Division Corps, in terms of off season talent assembly. The notion then that we'll have a lot of changes in placement within the World Class Division does not jive with the inherently unfair system that has been implemented. It stinks to high heaven in my opinion. But nobody asked me. But it is a bit silly to want to see changes in the placements and yet be ok with this slotted system that has been implemented.

Imagine if all the top 8 Pro sports teams in all the Pro sports were given the top draft choices after finishing in the top 8 in their respective sports. While we dont have a draft in Drum Corps, nobody here is delusional enough to think that the 8 TOC announced Corps didn't collectively get a HUGELY larger talent pool to " draft " talent from this off season from that of( say ) Corps finishing 9-18 last year. You hit the nail on the head that the " status " of the TOC Corps will make these TOC Corps WANT to consider their advantaged position within the World Class Division Group Slotted System. I don't disagree with you on this point at all. In fact, I agree with you on this point. I'm simply stating my belief that it might occur that some of the TOC Corps may conclude that the financial costs are not worth the continuation of their participation in the World Class Group Slotting System requirements in terms of additional travel costs.

I could be proven wrong, but in my opinion, the TOC concept of 8 Super Corps, if codified as an annual event after this year, would make the chances of cracking these top 8 pretty much impossible. Thats right, pretty much impossible. If the TOC concept of 8 Corps continues, the chances of ( say ) Academy, Troopers, Glassmen, Colts, Crossmen, Spirit,.. probably Boston... and others moving up into the Top 8 is frankly almost ludicrous. They'd have basically no shot. Thats because the 8 Corps would have more of the revenues, marching talent, staff, recruiting edges, etc from the TOC concept implementation to make movement into the top 8 in such a system a mere unattainable pipedream for the others. We barely have movement within the upper tier as it is. To institute an 8 Corps super Division within the World Class Division makes a mockery of the idea of free and open competition where a level playing field is the norm. But thats just my 2 cents input on this too.

I've said before, I really don't care about the placements. I want to be entertained more than anything else. They'll be some surprises in placements this year. But come the day after Finals, the placements of Corps will look about what most expected, with hardly any of the Corps moving up or down more than 2 placement positions from last year. If thats " exciting " for some, then thats cool. But after the fight for 1st place, its mostly now a question of " who's show did you enjoy more than the other also rans ? ", in my view.

I agree, but this is NO different than advantages given to those corps who make Finals. Breaking into the top 12 is extremely difficult, and every year there are no more than 2 or 3 corps from Semis (often less) who have any shot at breaking in, and how often do you see new blood in finals? Rarely, and IMO the amt of movement in and out of TOC will mirror that very closely. The status argument has ALWAYS applied to the top 12 in the exact way you just described the TOC, and yet no one complains about the inequity of the top 12 talent pool with near the vehemence that they attack the TOC format, which is a tad hypocritical IMO.

Even if it ain’t all it seems, I got a pocketful of dreams

Baby, I'm from New York

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of

There's nothing you can't do

Now you're in New York

These streets will make you feel brand new

Big lights will inspire you

Hear it for New York, New York, New York!

On the avenue, there ain't never a curfew, ladies work so hard

Such a melting pot, on the corner selling rock, preachers pray to God

Hail a gypsy cab, takes me down from Harlem to the Brooklyn Bridge

Some will sleep tonight with a hunger far more than an empty fridge

I'm gonna make it by any means, I got a pocketful of dreams

Baby, I'm from New York

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of

There's nothing you can't do

Now you're in New York

These street will make you feel brand new

Big lights will inspire you

Hear it for New York, New York, New York! :cool:

It's official on the Scouts' website today...the closer is "Empire State of Mind"!

• Like 2

Yes, we'll be there for the dress rehearsal - as well as the show in Indianapolis on Tuesday. GO MADISON!!!